• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2023 Best Mobile CB

slowmover

IMG_3100.jpeg

Added one of these to my purchases at Walcott Radio when thru there a week or so ago. The Digi-Mike.

Will go with the Lincoln 2+ in the pickup. And the W-M Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP speaker.

Adding DSP (NRC) to a radio not so equipped is expensive. $275 (2) items + $300 radio.

The Linc has the wireless (DECT) Liberty Mic on standby for roaming around the vehicle (100-yards). I also carry an Astatic 636 + adapter cable. So versatility is part of that system install. (A Randy is the last part such that comms at even greater distance can be maintained with the vehicle).

— Hopefully, this latest mic cuts road noise appreciably. ($50). Those tests are well out ahead on any calendar.

The radios the subjects of this thread don’t need the outboard accessories for background quiet RX or TX. It’s built-in. And perform somewhat better, overall.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
2023 ain’t over yet. 4W AM with what looks like nearly all the Q5/Ares features in a smaller package and the promise of PRESIDENT-brand quality.
View attachment 144863

If they release a US version of that radio, it has my attention. Otherwise, the 5555 is very tempting.

slowmover

If they release a US version of that radio, it has my attention. Otherwise, the 5555 is very tempting.
And, with Digi-Mic, an attractive VOX option. I “assume” it would work with integrated NRC (believe it’s compatible with the non-SSB NRC radios in their line).

— VOX not really a priority for me, but figured I’d give the Linc-2 in the pickup the widest range of options. (The quieter cab makes it a better possibility than in the big truck).

There are times one is working with someone else to move a rig — usually backing — and having to reach & key the mic is clumsy. With big trucks it’s the likeliest set of moments for an accident. Same for an RV, whether camper or boat. Etc.

Same for moving a combined rig thru a plant or big facility. Extrapolate again to one’s personal rig. One’s attention needs to be on mirrors to avoid hits in tight turns.

Last edited:

DeeEx

I’ve been following this thread and now it’s time for me to buy something new. I only own one FM-capable radio and it’s older, so the “all in one” appeal of AM/FM/SSB in one package is attractive.

Slowmover and friends…am I just an old man for wanting to pull the trigger on the Lincoln II+ versus the Anytone 5555, or is one notable superior? I have to admit there’s probably a nostalgic part of my brain that has good memories of the old President radios and thinks that brand name is better. Although slightly more expensive, that also doesn’t mean that the President is superior.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I’ve been following this thread and now it’s time for me to buy something new. I only own one FM-capable radio and it’s older, so the “all in one” appeal of AM/FM/SSB in one package is attractive.

Slowmover and friends…am I just an old man for wanting to pull the trigger on the Lincoln II+ versus the Anytone 5555, or is one notable superior? I have to admit there’s probably a nostalgic part of my brain that has good memories of the old President radios and thinks that brand name is better. Although slightly more expensive, that also doesn’t mean that the President is superior.
The Lincoln II+ does not appear to have any DSP noise reduction, it has less transmit power than the Anytone and costs at least $75 more than the Anytone. I have not used the Lincoln II+ so hopefully someone who has used both will chime in.

slowmover

I own both. Bought the Linc two years ago.

I would “prefer” for my pickup that the Linc 2+ had integrated DSP. I’ve used it with my West Mountain Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker and that combo is not the equivalent of the Q5 for AM/SSB.

That combo is $575 versus the $300 Q5 combo (with DRX-9010 external speaker). The edge is audio to Q5, and SSB to Q5 when mobile. Features to Linc.

The Linc is about 10-11/years old now as a model. Due for an update. But, when?

The Q5 is clone to the new model Stryker 955. Audio, some power and a few features to that brand. Wouldn’t dissuade anyone from buying it. The on-road “punch” is legendary.

IMO, not enough for me to warrant the extra.

Get the speaker.

I don’t know of anyone (mobile) who hasn’t changed to a different mic (get Stryker FJ-45 to 4-pin adapter). Noise-cancelling.

SimonTheWizard reports the Digi-Mic pairs well, also, but as truck driver it’s not first choice, but accessory to main choice. (Also needs Prez 6-pin adaptor).

The less expensive Ares doesn’t need mic adapter, so go line by line against Q5 to be certain of choice reflecting desire.

This tech & retailer linked has proprietary software and very good insight (per buyers of my acquaintance). I “know” the radio doesn’t need any touch-up. But my second purchase will be through him (I’ve neither laptop nor test equipment).

Other, older videos of his (since @ 05/2022) lend context.

— My perspective on older designs is now that I own a couple thousand dollars worth of “obsolete” AM/SSB radios I wouldn’t miss were I starting today. That includes the President models.

Their repair & lifespan is potentially “better”, but it’s not proven. I know of Ranger-board Galaxy radios in constant truck service 10+ years.

As one who relies on AM-19 in the daily course, the choice is clearly these SMT/NRC radios.

Good luck

Last edited:

DeeEx

Thank you very much!

In the end I may get both, but the Anytone looks like the clear winner to obtain first!

Slowmover— I’ll take a moment to publicly thank you for all of your posts, not just in this thread but everywhere on the forums. We have a similar level of appreciation for doing things the right way and not settling for less than the best. Cheers!

slowmover

You’re welcome.

In quite a lot of searches on mobile radio, the invisibly visible world of truck driving isn’t well-represented. It’s a gigantic group of users! There are attempts, but I believe using Mr Applegate as reference decides value received when it comes to full-time users solving work-related radio issues while mobile.

www.k0bg.com
Mobile Amateur Radio Reference

At some of the radio-oriented forums are contributors who make insight come alive re mobile radio. R-R has a number. I’m certainly grateful.

— Using CB 12-14/hrs daily up to 300-days/year is a good deal different than the experience of most. I’ve done my best to convey that focus (income & safety).

The nudge I had a few years ago to get serious (about big truck CB) meant I had also to share what I found.

At this point a couple of months into using the Q5 (500-hours?), it shows the limits of an antenna system fairly quickly. Or that it’s better than you realized.

I believe you’ll be gratified to work that end of things after using this radio design. A better mobile antenna install, or a higher-performing base station antenna system that one has entertained now becomes reasonable to justify.

Other radios may outperform the Q5 type, but they won’t be $260. They’ll be a whole class level up.

This is the new starting point for an all-around AM/SSB radio. The man excited about having bought a Cobra 148 thirty years ago is analogue.

Good luck.

Last edited:

CDX951

Premium Subscriber
Observations after using a 5555NII in the Diesel Wagon over the past year............

1) When using an aftermarket mic (N/C mic highly recommended in a noisy mobile environment) with adapter cord, take care to eliminate strain on the mic jack. The RJ-45 connector (probably one of the only drawbacks of this fine radio) doesn't hold up well to a mic cord swinging around during mobile adventures! I have mine mounted on the dash of the Volvo (and on the previous Cascadia) and just wrapped the mic cord around the Peoplenet mounted just below.
2) If your radio is box stock, turn the RF power down just a touch. These radios tend to be a little hot straight from the factory! Knock the DK down to about 8 watts. It'll still swing quite nicely.
3) Don't freak out the first cold morning when you fire up the radio and the display is all fouled up! It will be just fine after the radio warms up.
4) If you use the VFO feature on the radio just remember to put it back on the proper frequency when you're done or that particular channel that you were on will be messed up if/when you go back to channelized operation.

Lots of good information on this radio and the Anytone Ares II that @slowmover mentioned earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/@ScottsRadiosLLC

The 5555NII is the best value on the export radio market out there!

JD

slowmover

Thanks for the report of a truck driver who’s had an AT5555-N2 in use for a year. (I use May 2022 as release date).

I calculate a years use at 300-days at 12-14/hrs-day as an OTR driver not home much. Far past 3,000-hours.

It “might” seem obvious a radio meets this, but one would have to take into account that big trucks are a rough ride . . they shake things apart.

It’s also not easy to keep truck interiors warm or cooled when away. Humidity can also become high.

— “New design circuit board” hasn’t yet brought up any reports of failure to my knowledge, at least not as a trend.

“Thru-hole” circuit board radios have been robust, but it wasn’t uncommon to stop off and have something adjusted or repaired over 5-7/yrs use.

The exception may be cooling vents allowing dust entrance. The guys in construction or oilfield or Ag will have to report on that.

The divide among truck drivers is between those home nightly, and those home weekly or twice-monthly (on average). The local guys are mainly short distance comms (1-5/miles). Repetitious routes.

OTR desires greater TX/RX distances as route diversions and time-management (staying 1-3/days ahead) are quite different. My locality is N-S on the Great Plains east of the Rockies over to the Mississippi; Canada down to Mexico.

Locals may have much harder use (and conditions). OTR has extra-long hours of monitoring and greater climactic changes.

If the new type is as reliable as the older, it’s that much more a safe higher-performance bet.

Last edited:

slowmover

2023 ain’t over yet. 4W AM with what looks like nearly all the Q5/Ares features in a smaller package and the promise of PRESIDENT-brand quality.
View attachment 144863

George II update

Latest Euro price conversion (ahead of general release) appears to be $330. I’d expect that to soften.

Am looking forward to reviews.

At this point in time I look at Anytone brand as value leader, President as best overall performance.

Since I have PRESIDENT accessories purchased for my pickup, I’m looking to this brand transceiver for that vehicle (wireless & DSP mic’s; plus a Randy on-board). VOX a possibility where it’s not in big truck. Single brand preference in all ways, down to antenna.

Am not going to wait for a Lincoln update.

Last edited:

slowmover

Maximum Signal Capture

FWIW, with the Anytone AT5555-N2 in mobile (with Skip or not) I daily keep an AM-19 baseline of:

NRC at 3

RFG backed to about 4:30-5:00 (mobile antenna limitation apparent when underway and fully open at 6:00; can sometimes hear, but not understand; or, RX is just tone-noise).

SQ at 04 to 08 (ASC at 3). Heavy Skip amelioration.

Volume at 44. (Big trucks are not quiet, but be aware the radio will hide things if the Volume is turned too low).

So long as I have slightest hiss apparent across speaker I’m “close” to being able to capture almost all RX-Local despite interference.

Backed further than this I’ll lose the better of the less-than-ideal mobiles in my area while on the highway.

Stationary, I can open up more.

This is the 105% of the previous radio rig (more components utilized).

Last edited:

slowmover

View attachment 144872

Added one of these to my purchases at Walcott Radio when thru there a week or so ago. The Digi-Mike.

Will go with the Lincoln 2+ in the pickup. And the W-M Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP speaker.

Adding DSP (NRC) to a radio not so equipped is expensive. $275 (2) items + $300 radio.

The Linc has the wireless (DECT) Liberty Mic on standby for roaming around the vehicle (100-yards). I also carry an Astatic 636 + adapter cable. So versatility is part of that system install. (A Randy is the last part such that comms at even greater distance can be maintained with the vehicle).

— Hopefully, this latest mic cuts road noise appreciably. ($50). Those tests are well out ahead on any calendar.

The radios the subjects of this thread don’t need the outboard accessories for background quiet RX or TX. It’s built-in. And perform somewhat better, overall.

Best Mobile Mic 2023 (?)

A brief demonstration from mobile to base recorded. NRC Off, then NRC On. Voice re-gains consonant edges, hash is cut away.

Had another driver yesterday ask what radio I was running as we negotiated heavy traffic on IH94. Windows were shut as stock Electret mic isn’t noise-canceling.

So these radios sound great already.
(Had NRC for TX set at 3).

Digi-Mic is a test on the Q5 to which I’m looking forward, though I’ll probably use it with another radio.

I picked up another Driver Extreme 656 mic while in Nebraska earlier this week. The very positive PTT switch sold me from the beginning.

Vocal clarity generates its own responses. Sat thru a 6-mile, 47-minute construction backup yesterday and it was easy to get the shuck & jive going with other drivers also trapped.

— Speaker and mic are integral to what’s considered success. The radios’ ability is then highlighted for you and others.

— Get the antenna right also (permanent mount), and it’ll be an outstanding radio rig in a world of those fairly mediocre.

Hear, and Get Heard

Last edited:

K6EEN

a coax filter at the transceiver
You mean an in-line, lumped component (inductors, capacitors) bandpass filter for 27 MHz / 11m? Or a "common mode filter" which is basically more ferrites around a piece of coax in a box with PL-259 connectors to remove RF currents on the shield of the coax before it goes in the radio?

I'm running some clip-on ferrites on the coax where it plugs into the 3/8x24 antenna mount outside, and a couple more clip-on ferrites on the coax on the inside of the vehicle where it plugs into the radio. Haven't bothered with an external 11m "bandpass filter", assume the Uniden 980 has enough of that internally.

Last edited:

slowmover

You mean an in-line, lumped component (inductors, capacitors) bandpass filter for 27 MHz / 11m? Or a "common mode filter" which is basically more ferrites around a piece of coax in a box with PL-259 connectors to remove RF currents on the shield of the coax before it goes in the radio?

I'm running some clip-on ferrites on the coax where it plugs into the 3/8x24 antenna mount outside, and a couple more clip-on ferrites on the coax on the inside of the vehicle where it plugs into the radio. Haven't bothered with an external 11m "bandpass filter", assume the Uniden 980 has enough of that internally.

This one at present.

IMG_2479.jpeg

This one in future

IMG_2792.jpeg

Antenna Feedpoint:

Palomar MC-1-500-50

IMG_0677.jpeg

Sirio 3/8 Trucker on 44” shaft.

IMG_3534.jpeg

18’ of coax picks up a helluva lot of noise in big truck. Didn’t realize just how much. Haven’t yet added something to the series where a margin isn’t bettered.

Last edited:

DeeEx

My 5555N II arrived today!

I had to leave for work so I didn’t have time to do much with it or hook it up to an antenna.

Initial impressions…

Faceplate looks like a Yaesu, my brand of choice for most amateur applications. Knobs feel much more substantial than Yaesu, however.

The chassis is huge! Like 1980s Midland low band public safety radio level of huge! The heat sink is more than I’ve seen on any export I can recall.

Display is somewhat “busy” and bright…I’ll see what I can adjust as time goes on.

Manual isn’t the best or most complete, but again I think with time and tinkering I’ll figure it all out. This may be a bit too overwhelming for someone who hasn’t used an amateur transceiver before.

slowmover

Display doesn’t get too bright or dim despite that I adjust truck dash & GPS for day/night 2X over each 24-hour period.

Same size as GALAXY DX-959 or COBRA-148.

Menu settings are, primarily, set & forget. Faceplate buttons do the necessary past the dial controls.

Software-based programming changes maybe the level of difficulty you speculate.

The AM/SSB 959 has about as many faceplate-based control changes possible and it’s not intimidating after only a short period.
IMG_1989.jpeg

The Q5 is certainly gratifying to use. I could almost swear it starts to pull in signals harder a period after initiation.

A Border Collie on an HF mission.

IMG_1384.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

IMG_1992.jpeg

Is a step up in sophistication we leave aside the NRC board problem, but is distinctly intimidating versus Q5 in controls.

I’d say it’s not that which one makes much adjustment while at 67-MPH.

HAM Radio, Junior.

So you give your new Q5 a pat on the case if you ever get through Underhill, VT, where a somewhat distant relative of mine was postmistress a for a very long time whom I met as a boy and she in her nineties.

Q5 delivers the mail.

Last edited:

DeeEx

Slowmover— I used to live on the Underhill/Jericho town line and I’ve been to the post office there several times. It’s a small world.

My menu confusion lies in the fact that the manual shows 19 menu options but the radio has 23! And they are not in the same order as the manual states. Is there an updated manual somewhere? Or is my radio older than the manual? I’d hope the radio is the most recent version as it’s brand new and was on back order for ten days.

Thanks to all who are in this thread!!