• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2023 Best Mobile CB

slowmover

Changed to dual antennas yesterday (what truckers call co-phase though it’s more accurately called phased).

Emphasis on RX/TX ahead & behind versus wider radius.

View attachment 148751

The Anytone at radio stack center is just that much better again I found. (Quieter RX).

Latest few posts in below. Thread is to define problem in mobile radio, and what remedies avail.

RF Bond work back underway.

The Q5 responds better to the detailed install work than any radio I’ve previously had in use. From Uniden 880 to President Lincoln II+ or from my collection of Galaxy.

Doesn’t matter what I’ve thrown at it. It chews, swallows, and grows bigger.

My desire is to always run wide open in Squelch & RF Gain for maximum signal capture. I work towards that end.

Did a radio range test the other morning with another big truck driver after the above.

— Switched to BC-645 mic with TXNR @ “2” when Mic held 3” away — squarely-faced — with windows open & passing traffic on both sides at 60-mph was best compromise given Mic Gain at halfway.

— On SSB he was able to hear me without difficulty to (20) miles and we hit (30) as I was leaving the area thru a mountain pass. (He was on valley floor in major metro).

— Given the high audio quality of the DX-901 and the excellent SSB performance of this radio (well beyond average), I was able to dial him in and have him sound very near to “natural”.

— We were both under trailers of the same type, and with tractors of the same spec, then, compass-aligned, generally. (See RF lobe pattern in #58).

As I was gaining altitude relative to his position an advantage was in play. Based on other experience I’d still say that 20-miles mobile-to-mobile shouldn’t be hard across level topography.

— This bodes well for, “Go to company channel” when encountering another from our fleet and wanting more time to ask & answer questions.

Given .75/minute-per-mile travel time, this would mean up to 5-7/minutes of talk time when moving in opposing directions. But typical fleet trucks aren’t with VG radio systems, so time extension is maybe an extra 1-2/minutes over being on AM (where it may be but seconds).

More to come.

Last edited:

riverradio68

Feed Provider
I put a gun to my head to force myself to buy an Anytone ... Just can't do it, what a mess I made ... President, Galaxy, Cobra or Stryker and upon winning a lotto a Ranger (Texas Ranger) are my limits. I do like the new McKinley II, waiting to see more reviews on it.

niceguy71

everyone has convinced me... I bought an Anytone 5555 N II last week.... and will play with it in a few weeks and if it's as good as it sounds I'll buy another and replace my base station CB and my mobile CB( my mobile's been talking all across the country 27.415 27.425 have been awesome)
my base station has the CB and on top of that a big SWR and power meter and on top of that a little amp..... so it takes up a lot of room.. the Quad 5 will replace it all and just have one small area on my work bench.... nice to see so many knowledgeable people agreeing on the Quad 5.... I just hope it lasts for years and years.... I would hate to sell my 30 plus year old equipment that is still working great for something that will die in 2 years.

prcguy

I put a gun to my head to force myself to buy an Anytone ... Just can't do it, what a mess I made ... President, Galaxy, Cobra or Stryker and upon winning a lotto a Ranger (Texas Ranger) are my limits. I do like the new McKinley II, waiting to see more reviews on it.
Then you will suffer.

Larry1275

View attachment 144338

Via mobile experience as an OTR truck driver. Several thousand hours annual use.

Earlier references to the Qixiang factory’s new circuit board elsewhere. Several brands. The above possibly the best known example at present.

Paired with the equally new Driver Extreme DRX-9010 External Speaker is the point of this thread.
View attachment 144339

This ain’t your Daddy’s Oldsmobile.

The pairing makes digital radios (versus older thru-hole designs) enjoyable listening and NRC means clearing away the hash and the hiss such that vocal clarity becomes prominent.

For the approximate $300 purchase (and given attention to ensure quietest antenna system), this is Citizen Band at a whole ‘nother level.

My $1,400 big truck system assembled over the years (replacement cost) is now a $700 system with these components installed. I expected 90% as good, but received 105%.

SSB is phenomenally good. AM better as this speaker brings up details my West Mountain Radio CLEARSPEECH Speaker did not.

One might choose another post-2021 release radio NRC-equipped, . . it’s the speaker which completes the transformation.

Every improvement to the Power & Antenna systems can be distinguished.

(I changed back to a 7’ antenna to hit 14’ from a 6’ and could now hear the other guy the also previously unheard man — without DSP — was speaking with. Got that? Radio is great . . but it’s the speaker we’re hearing).

Citizen Band is again the pleasant companion I remember from the 1970s despite the base station trolls who shouldn’t be on AM-19 (hundreds of thousands of truck drivers using it in need of road info 24/7/365).

The faint signal (warning) comes thru.

The pleasurable exchanges are that much more fun.
I got the Radioddity QT 60 same radio want a good radio SSB is out of this world radio love it.....

slowmover

Q5 or QT60, or, more $$ for the slightly upgraded Stryker 955-HPC. Same radio circuitry. Also, CRE 7900.

This Qixiang circuit board is a new era.

21st Century.

As said, . . a radio lacking integrated NRC isn’t in the running.

Sideband is a revelation.
NRC is a game-changer.

The entry price is phenomenal.

niceguy71

Q5 or QT60, or, more $$ for the slightly upgraded Stryker 955-HPC. Same radio circuitry. Also, CRE 7900.

This Qixiang circuit board is a new era.

21st Century.

As said, . . a radio lacking integrated NRC isn’t in the running.

Sideband is a revelation.
NRC is a game-changer.

The entry price is phenomenal.

you talked me into getting one

slowmover

High Performance Radio Rig

IMG_3010.jpeg
The conceptual adjustment to a 21st Century radio is short & sweet:

In use mobile the Volume, SQ & RFG are the only controls I adjust in a typical 12-14/day. (Dial controls).

On the rarer occasions I wish to Scan or change Mode, I know almost by touch where are those Menu switches.

Don’t let “Menu-Driven” be a hindrance.

— The first time thru, keep the operator manual open. After awhile (most changes finalized) and given a few tests or consistent feedback, there’s almost nothing left to do in that realm.

Excellent Triple Meter for relative changes to note.

And, as before, the Driver Extreme DRX-901 Speaker makes for a heavenly marriage. I consider it a mandatory option.

IMG_3111.jpeg

— “Digital Radios” such as the AM/SSB Uniden 980 or President McKinley aren’t nearly as pleasant to which to listen all day as is as a Galaxy 959. There’s a quality of hiss or hash-likeness which is exaggerated.

This speaker tames that tendency in concert with your choice of filters. Vocal depth (again, as said) is splendidly rendered. (Speaker placement — location — is the second factor and cannot be overlooked; 1st & 2nd Order Reflections).

The Uniden BC-645 Microphone is a wholly optional upgrade ($20); it sounds slightly better than stock, but is larger to hand, heavier, and without channel-change buttons which I prefer not be on the mic. I add a small M31 ferrite below the head to make it yet easier to locate & grasp.

Dynamic mics don’t sound all that great on the Q5/QT60. I run Mic Gain wide open and TX-NRC at #2.

IMG_3914.jpeg

One will want the FJ-45 mic adapter to run this and most other microphones:

One may also want the computer programming cable by which to access deeper menu changes in the future:

Last, everything I’ve done to improve the antenna & power systems has shown up in qualitative & quantitative performance improvement I can hear (as can others):

Mobile Amateur Radio Installation Guide

and reading at this forums installation sub-forum:

This radio gets better with every bit of TLC.

Last edited:

slowmover

Stay with Install details:

IMG_4038.jpeg

IMG_4039.jpeg

Second antenna? Check. More extensive RF Bonds? Check. Larger 12V power filter Check. Bandpass Filter? Check.

And so forth.

1). SIRIO 5000 atop 44” shafts. Palomar Engineer CMNF 50 Feedpoint Chokes.

2. RF Bond hop-scotch down down to Neg Batt Frame Stud; Port & Starboard (7) mirror-image bonds; including door hinge jumpers; about 10’ of 3/4” tinned woven braid per side).

This dual antenna pattern elongation given a 53’ trailer means I have prioritized the distances I greatly desire.

IMG_3969.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

NMO: the way to go

IMG_3084.jpeg

King of the Road has best ears & cleanest sound with omnidirectional TX pattern.

These newest radios reward all efforts.

Sideband tests with another truck driver (one parked, and one moving) reveal that despite going up Tijeras Canyon out of Albuquerque, or leaving Roswell eastbound across the Pecos Ridge, 25-30/miles has been easily accomplished.

We’ve yet to try across the high, flat, Eastern New Mexico Plateau. (50+ miles at night wouldn’t surprise me).

Heavy Skip interference both mornings.

NMO on an automobile should exceed this under same conditions

Sideband clarity is nothing short of phenomenal.

Last edited:

riverradio68

Feed Provider
NMO: the way to go

View attachment 150028

King of the Road has best ears & cleanest sound with omnidirectional TX pattern.

These newest radios reward all efforts.

Sideband tests with another truck driver (one parked, and one moving) reveal that despite going up Tijeras Canyon out of Albuquerque, or leaving Roswell eastbound across the Pecos Ridge, 25-30/miles has been easily accomplished.

We’ve yet to try across the high, flat, Eastern New Mexico Plateau. (50+ miles at night wouldn’t surprise me).

Heavy Skip interference both mornings.

NMO on an automobile should exceed this under same conditions

Sideband clarity is nothing short of phenomenal.

How's the DX factor with that? Are you able to transmit as well as your hearing? I have a Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk (the smaller jeeps) and I cannot for the life of me mount an antenna without using a mag mount. My scanner antennas are drilled so drilling a 10/11 meter antenna isn't an issue but I really like my TRAM 3700 but its unethical drilled as an NMO.

slowmover

The pic is an example of a Larsen/Laird NMO.

Given a 5’ or longer whip, it’ll be near to as much DX/TX performance as possible all else the same. (TRAM 3700 at 61” new; SIRIO 5000 best choice in that style).

Mid-coil considered higher Q than base coil.

Height is Might just as true in mobile as stationary base operation. 14’ is the cutoff for total height. Longest antenna over center of metal mass is the rest.

On my pickup it’s with a 7’ antenna atop a BREEDLOVE puck mount. (13’ 3” total).

Is there a difference from 5’ to 7’ that location? Yes.

5’ a minimum, IMO.

You want to yakkety-yak with JesseJamesDallas in the SE portion of Dallas County late in the day, you’ll want the most you can get if you’re north of IH-635 (southern Oklahoma, ha!).

Or you and I want to try to see if Sideband is viable the 33 air-miles from northern Dallas County to northern Tarrant County.

Everything is a compromise from a 9’ quarter-wave whip.

— I’d find an unobstructed high spot on the west side of FTW and park to install that 108” whip to make the call, engine-running.

Otherwise I’d be running a GR45 or Predator 10k for “highest” performance. (Why a HD Mount was installed as they don’t bend at speed, but need stronger base). Kale Cavel builds the 10k over here by Carswell AFB.

The Q5/QT60 is sensitive enough you’ll easily hear the differences in changes you make (given your in-vehicle CB audio system is the same quality). Antenna height or RF Bonds or what-have-you; changes welcomed by this radio design.

Larsen/Laird NMO is my idea of the sweet spot for any operator. Changes from that point are sorta “ qualitative versus quantitative” as a way of looking at it. Low key, but high “enough” performance.

Not many are willing to run an eggbeater on the roof.

IMG_4054.jpeg

I dislike mag mount for usual reasons. Performance can be fine given right choices, but longevity & reliability a problem over time.

Cleaner is Meaner another way of stating the main goal. Matching DX with TX a pretty satisfying pursuit.

I haven’t run into a pickup/SUV running an export with a permanent mount antenna (OVERSIZE Load Pilot Car) where DX/TX wasn’t a good match.

That (to me) the excellent working example of someone fulfilling legally-required operations (vehicles), with a radio/antenna in a minimal configuration.

— The little old lady in a Honda Odyssey with the best radio in her area as she has the best antenna system. (The base station monkeys bragging about their HAM ticket are the Eleven Meter problem, not these low power radios).

NMO plus this radio type is the way my son and his (3) vehicles will proceed. Fewest long-term complications plus best basic performance.

Park and throw out a dipole or something else.

Last edited:

slowmover

Those of us who entrust our health & well-being — not just our income potential — listen a great deal more intently & intelligently (information sorting) than a typical commuter or vacationer.

All are valid uses.

So, the other end of the equation is a cheap CB with cheap mag mount (Cobra 29 or worse and a WILSON “Little Wil” ). Not even an extension speaker added.

My rental car experience cross-country (fly & drive) is that such a rig barely works. It’s noisy, one can’t be heard nor can he hear what I know is possible. Not enough to meet basic expectations of a pro operator

One must step up to an NRC-equipped radio and have a taller antenna, minimum. (Extension speaker strongly recommended). AM/SSB radios are the minimum in my estimation.

When it’s your car, you must follow best practice in ensuring highest performance from coax & power systems plus RF Bonds.

Antenna System is 85% of the goal. And, long distance comms (5+ miles) are the basic for coming up on the following with any chance of successful avoidance:

One must work with others to DEFINE the problem and then SOLVE the problem ON-AIR.

It’s the specifics, the details, which define success.

Vocal Clarity DX/RX is the crux.

Given such a rig it is then incumbent to be on-air regularly so as to help all others stay mentally-awake & participatory.

Passivity will getcha kilt.

Last edited:

riverradio68

Feed Provider
The pic is an example of a Larsen/Laird NMO.

Given a 5’ or longer whip, it’ll be near to as much DX/TX performance as possible all else the same. (TRAM 3700 at 61” new; SIRIO 5000 best choice in that style).

Mid-coil considered higher Q than base coil.

Height is Might just as true in mobile as stationary base operation. 14’ is the cutoff for total height. Longest antenna over center of metal mass is the rest.

On my pickup it’s with a 7’ antenna atop a BREEDLOVE puck mount. (13’ 3” total).

Is there a difference from 5’ to 7’ that location? Yes.

5’ a minimum, IMO.

You want to yakkety-yak with JesseJamesDallas in the SE portion of Dallas County late in the day, you’ll want the most you can get if you’re north of IH-635 (southern Oklahoma, ha!).

Or you and I want to try to see if Sideband is viable the 33 air-miles from northern Dallas County to northern Tarrant County.

Everything is a compromise from a 9’ quarter-wave whip.

— I’d find an unobstructed high spot on the west side of FTW and park to install that 108” whip to make the call, engine-running.

Otherwise I’d be running a GR45 or Predator 10k for “highest” performance. (Why a HD Mount was installed as they don’t bend at speed, but need stronger base). Kale Cavel builds the 10k over here by Carswell AFB.

The Q5/QT60 is sensitive enough you’ll easily hear the differences in changes you make (given your in-vehicle CB audio system is the same quality). Antenna height or RF Bonds or what-have-you; changes welcomed by this radio design.

Larsen/Laird NMO is my idea of the sweet spot for any operator. Changes from that point are sorta “ qualitative versus quantitative” as a way of looking at it. Low key, but high “enough” performance.

Not many are willing to run an eggbeater on the roof.

View attachment 150246

I dislike mag mount for usual reasons. Performance can be fine given right choices, but longevity & reliability a problem over time.

Cleaner is Meaner another way of stating the main goal. Matching DX with TX a pretty satisfying pursuit.

I haven’t run into a pickup/SUV running an export with a permanent mount antenna (OVERSIZE Load Pilot Car) where DX/TX wasn’t a good match.

That (to me) the excellent working example of someone fulfilling legally-required operations (vehicles), with a radio/antenna in a minimal configuration.

— The little old lady in a Honda Odyssey with the best radio in her area as she has the best antenna system. (The base station monkeys bragging about their HAM ticket are the Eleven Meter problem, not these low power radios).

NMO plus this radio type is the way my son and his (3) vehicles will proceed. Fewest long-term complications plus best basic performance.

Park and throw out a dipole or something else.
I'm just above and east of you in SE Fannin. In the QTH I have a Sirio ground plane antenna, that 19 foot tall beast and I regularly talk into the Northeast, Canada and some West coast without any problems.

I had a tailgate mount with the TRAM 3700 on my Tacoma but the 2021 Ice Storm dropped a tree on that truck. Going to this little Jeep has been problematic for radios. The problem is I have tree's galore down my 4 wheel low required driveway so its snap, ding, crunch every time I drive in and out with 61 inches on top of 5 feet of Jeep. Which is why I was curious how well the Larsen NMO did shooting skip.

You can't put a lip mount on the gate because its not metal. Can't put one on the doors because they ain't normal. I was one step away from drilling the body for a body mount but that will defiantly degrade the eventual trade in. Guess its time to pop another hole in the roof ...

slowmover

I'm just above and east of you in SE Fannin. In the QTH I have a Sirio ground plane antenna, that 19 foot tall beast and I regularly talk into the Northeast, Canada and some West coast without any problems.

I had a tailgate mount with the TRAM 3700 on my Tacoma but the 2021 Ice Storm dropped a tree on that truck. Going to this little Jeep has been problematic for radios. The problem is I have tree's galore down my 4 wheel low required driveway so its snap, ding, crunch every time I drive in and out with 61 inches on top of 5 feet of Jeep. Which is why I was curious how well the Larsen NMO did shooting skip.

You can't put a lip mount on the gate because its not metal. Can't put one on the doors because they ain't normal. I was one step away from drilling the body for a body mount but that will defiantly degrade the eventual trade in. Guess its time to pop another hole in the roof ...

Will this thread be applicable? Might be some ideas despite differences.

And, trim the doggone trees.

Skip is more difficult.

That said, conditions dictate weirdness levels.

I was thru Pipestone, MN a little bit ago and was subjected to, The Wino Joe Show, Live from OKC!, on AM-19.

I let him know what I thought of his heritage, morals and likely ending.

I can talk Skip when these guys really overwhelm my receive. A mile later maybe I can’t hear them at all.

The antenna in question has excellent reviews as to durability. Add their spring.

NMO-34b would be my choice with W640 whip, FWIW. (Maybe the -30). Not the -27.
Has been discussed here recently.

Last edited:

slowmover

IMG_3112.jpeg

Latest radio settings change with DX-901 speaker in use is to adjust RX-NRC from (3) to (4) and take HI-CUT filter “out”.

The velvety all-day listening comfort of this speaker — in accepting a barely higher sibilance — means restoration of a slight edge to speech increasing intelligibility without accompanying hash attached to that voice, near or far (as well as in local or Skip).

Things become too “watery” at (5).

Long days in monitoring AM-19 with its continual layers of voice it is thus easier to determine what’s local. (Priority).

Last edited:

slowmover

I will take a look at it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Need to add that the President Digi-Mic is the NRC device desirable at the TX end.

slowmover

As in Post #45, you’ll want Digital Signal Processing of the audio to have joined the 21st Century.

I’m not being cute, or anything similar. NRC seriously changes the whole of the experience. One hears farther, and he hears better.

Yesterday was another day on the road wherein I was southbound and conversing with another driver northbound until we were past ten miles distant.
Towards the end I had men around me wondering aloud to whom in the F was I talking? This has been part of my norm for almost nine years (W-M DSP Speaker). Guys with exports and above-average systems otherwise.

And — unless one has been using Amateur Gear on 11-Meter (not allowed) — the lack of DSP means degraded performance against what’s possible.

I’ve desired to recommend the use of the item below with the D-E brand DX-901 speaker as I think it would be a great pairing. But I haven’t paired it and am thus hesitant versus the all-in-one speaker (above).

View attachment 146685

The “modern radios” (SMT) such as Uniden 980 or the President Lincoln are sort of on the hissy side. Hi-Cut Filter “needed” for all-day listening while mobile. The separate processor brings more audio control via Tone Adjustment which is where I think the DX-901 would meet all audio requirements “best”. (Tailor it to your vehicle interior and ears).

An AT-6666 (same with Lincoln) lacking NRC are thus warmed-over entry-level radios missing the vitality of focus where the hash has been stripped away from voice despite their greater number of functions/abilities as radios.

— The argument being made is to try to get across the fundamental nature of the change via NRC, not to criticize the choices of others, per se.

IOW, I’d rather have the cheapest NRC AM-only radio versus an AT-6666 or Lincoln while on the road. External DSP device changes that equation in favor of those radios.

The better the mobile antenna system the more this becomes obvious.

— I’ve said before and will again that one builds his mobile Citizen Band rig to overcome the deficiencies of the radio rigs of other men.

To Hear, and Get Heard, means that when one receives timely information on road conditions he repeats that information back for confirmation such that others around him also hear it. In turn those locals who didn’t hear the original — the more frequent travelers of this road with average or below average radios — help come up with definitions & solutions.

In same wise, one ups the banter around road-going anomalies such that some are reminded to inform the rest of y’all of a problem out ahead now far behind them.

Yesterdays fun was the dreaded Amazon Prime driver running 70+ with an unsecured trailer door flapping. Maybe that’s how they air ‘em out back where he came from. Major faux pas in the U.S., however.

Being possessed of excellent ears, one is central to the fun. Others are relying on you whether you know it or not. (That trailer door represents a true hazard). As we hit the rain at the same time you can bet everyone wanted description & location of the hazard. Making light of it is par for the course.

Seeing him get pulled into the scale house despite being empty was the cherry on top.

Driving any vehicle is taxing.
Best radio system eases the burden.
NRC (DSP) forever changes the game.

A friend of mine has a new BIG RADIO but without DSP. He added the W-M outboard DSP module to control the DX-901 speaker. Said he couldn’t be happier.

What differentiates it from the amplified, integrated speaker is adjustable tone control.

One can do more in adjusting DSP to suit with W-M Audio Ware versus integrated NRC. Greater sophistication.

This highlights the DRX-901 speaker as an ideal for any radio.

Last edited:

slowmover

New version of Anytone AT6666 PRO now with NRC

This radio has a smaller footprint than radios above. Easier install for some vehicles.