• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2023 Best Mobile CB

Moto_user

I own both. Bought the Linc two years ago.

I would “prefer” for my pickup that the Linc 2+ had integrated DSP. I’ve used it with my West Mountain Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker and that combo is not the equivalent of the Q5 for AM/SSB.

That combo is $575 versus the $300 Q5 combo (with DRX-9010 external speaker). The edge is audio to Q5, and SSB to Q5 when mobile. Features to Linc.

The Linc is about 10-11/years old now as a model. Due for an update. But, when?

The Q5 is clone to the new model Stryker 955. Audio, some power and a few features to that brand. Wouldn’t dissuade anyone from buying it. The on-road “punch” is legendary.

IMO, not enough for me to warrant the extra.

Get the speaker.

I don’t know of anyone (mobile) who hasn’t changed to a different mic (get Stryker FJ-45 to 4-pin adapter). Noise-cancelling.

SimonTheWizard reports the Digi-Mic pairs well, also, but as truck driver it’s not first choice, but accessory to main choice. (Also needs Prez 6-pin adaptor).

The less expensive Ares doesn’t need mic adapter, so go line by line against Q5 to be certain of choice reflecting desire.

This tech & retailer linked has proprietary software and very good insight (per buyers of my acquaintance). I “know” the radio doesn’t need any touch-up. But my second purchase will be through him (I’ve neither laptop nor test equipment).

Other, older videos of his (since @ 05/2022) lend context.

— My perspective on older designs is now that I own a couple thousand dollars worth of “obsolete” AM/SSB radios I wouldn’t miss were I starting today. That includes the President models.

Their repair & lifespan is potentially “better”, but it’s not proven. I know of Ranger-board Galaxy radios in constant truck service 10+ years.

As one who relies on AM-19 in the daily course, the choice is clearly these SMT/NRC radios.

Good luck

I've seen the Lincoln II+ talked about quite a bit and am considering ordering one in the next day or two. Does it perform well out of the box or do these suffer from poor QC from the factory and need to be tuned to sound good. I am planning on doing the conversion once I receive it unless these need to be cleaned up out of the box. If so, I'll just have the conversion done along with a tune.

DeeEx

I've seen the Lincoln II+ talked about quite a bit and am considering ordering one in the next day or two. Does it perform well out of the box or do these suffer from poor QC from the factory and need to be tuned to sound good. I am planning on doing the conversion once I receive it unless these need to be cleaned up out of the box. If so, I'll just have the conversion done along with a tune.

May I ask if you’ve considered the 5555N II?

Because I was solidly on the Lincoln bandwagon until I dug deeper both here and on CB-specific forums.

Re-read this entire thread or search for relevant posts from Slowmover if you want some detailed yet concise info.

I’ve been in the hobby for over 40 years. I received my 5555N II about a week ago. I’ve spent about four hours with it, and I can tell you that in no uncertain terms that it is an absolute game-changer. I am extremely happy that I chose it over the Lincoln and I’m still learning.

I have yet to try it on FM or use the CTCSS/DCS tones, but on AM and SSB it’s a great performer with an incredible stock mic. There are so many parameters to adjust that I think I can say “it’s a radio that’s perfect for everyone!”

My only caveat, as I mentioned somewhere before in this thread, is that this is a large radio. It will probably not be practical for a small vehicle or desk shelf. Look at the measurements before you buy and keep in mind that the heat sink needs adequate air flow.

Moto_user

May I ask if you’ve considered the 5555N II?

Because I was solidly on the Lincoln bandwagon until I dug deeper both here and on CB-specific forums.

Re-read this entire thread or search for relevant posts from Slowmover if you want some detailed yet concise info.

I’ve been in the hobby for over 40 years. I received my 5555N II about a week ago. I’ve spent about four hours with it, and I can tell you that in no uncertain terms that it is an absolute game-changer. I am extremely happy that I chose it over the Lincoln and I’m still learning.

I have yet to try it on FM or use the CTCSS/DCS tones, but on AM and SSB it’s a great performer with an incredible stock mic. There are so many parameters to adjust that I think I can say “it’s a radio that’s perfect for everyone!”

My only caveat, as I mentioned somewhere before in this thread, is that this is a large radio. It will probably not be practical for a small vehicle or desk shelf. Look at the measurements before you buy and keep in mind that the heat sink needs adequate air flow.
I did look at it but due to its size it wouldn’t work for the space I have in my truck. Definitely looks like a nice radio. For anyone interested in the Lincoln, Walcott has them on sale right now and there’s also a promo code which takes another $47 off. Got it today for $271 shipped.

slowmover

LIMG_0466.jpeg

Linc 2+ needs the West Mountain Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker to be in any sense competitive with the latest Qixiang-board integrated NRC radios.

This amplified, variable filtration speaker was the game-changer for my experience from 2014 to 2023. Cleans up what the radio can’t filter for you.

See my earlier thread on this item.

Last edited:

Moto_user

LView attachment 146625

Linc 2+ needs the West Mountain Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker to be in any sense competitive with the latest Qixiang-board integrated NRC radios.

This amplified, variable filtration speaker was the game-changer for my experience from 2014 to 2023. Cleans up what the radio can’t filter for you.

See my earlier thread on this item.

I will take a look at it. Thanks for the suggestion.

slowmover

That's the only thing holding me back.

Keeping my 6666 for now.

As in Post #45, you’ll want Digital Signal Processing of the audio to have joined the 21st Century.

I’m not being cute, or anything similar. NRC seriously changes the whole of the experience. One hears farther, and he hears better.

Yesterday was another day on the road wherein I was southbound and conversing with another driver northbound until we were past ten miles distant.
Towards the end I had men around me wondering aloud to whom in the F was I talking? This has been part of my norm for almost nine years (W-M DSP Speaker). Guys with exports and above-average systems otherwise.

And — unless one has been using Amateur Gear on 11-Meter (not allowed) — the lack of DSP means degraded performance against what’s possible.

I’ve desired to recommend the use of the item below with the D-E brand DX-901 speaker as I think it would be a great pairing. But I haven’t paired it and am thus hesitant versus the all-in-one speaker (above).

IMG_3757.jpeg

The “modern radios” (SMT) such as Uniden 980 or the President Lincoln are sort of on the hissy side. Hi-Cut Filter “needed” for all-day listening while mobile. The separate processor brings more audio control via Tone Adjustment which is where I think the DX-901 would meet all audio requirements “best”. (Tailor it to your vehicle interior and ears).

An AT-6666 (same with Lincoln) lacking NRC are thus warmed-over entry-level radios missing the vitality of focus where the hash has been stripped away from voice despite their greater number of functions/abilities as radios.

— The argument being made is to try to get across the fundamental nature of the change via NRC, not to criticize the choices of others, per se.

IOW, I’d rather have the cheapest NRC AM-only radio versus an AT-6666 or Lincoln while on the road. External DSP device changes that equation in favor of those radios.

The better the mobile antenna system the more this becomes obvious.

— I’ve said before and will again that one builds his mobile Citizen Band rig to overcome the deficiencies of the radio rigs of other men.

To Hear, and Get Heard, means that when one receives timely information on road conditions he repeats that information back for confirmation such that others around him also hear it. In turn those locals who didn’t hear the original — the more frequent travelers of this road with average or below average radios — help come up with definitions & solutions.

In same wise, one ups the banter around road-going anomalies such that some are reminded to inform the rest of y’all of a problem out ahead now far behind them.

Yesterdays fun was the dreaded Amazon Prime driver running 70+ with an unsecured trailer door flapping. Maybe that’s how they air ‘em out back where he came from. Major faux pas in the U.S., however.

Being possessed of excellent ears, one is central to the fun. Others are relying on you whether you know it or not. (That trailer door represents a true hazard). As we hit the rain at the same time you can bet everyone wanted description & location of the hazard. Making light of it is par for the course.

Seeing him get pulled into the scale house despite being empty was the cherry on top.

Driving any vehicle is taxing.
Best radio system eases the burden.
NRC (DSP) forever changes the game.

Last edited:

slowmover

IMG_3623.jpeg

The DX-86v is just one of many radios I own now sorta obsolete. Right size, right features for AM-19 road performance. Great audio at the other end as with all Galaxy radios. Best antenna system = it gets responses.

It’s not enough to be heard. It’s in getting responses.

Paired up with a Astatic 636L mic and the W-M speaker it’s a performer. But that $600 isn’t the performance of the $250 Q5 + $50 DX-901 speaker (the stock mic is GTG).

Substitute any non-NRC radio to suit, and the result doesn’t change despite “better” features or performance on a line-by-line comparison.

One can have an AM/SSB NRC-integrated radio at a surprisingly low price ($199). There’s pretty well no need for a tech to adjust unless desired, as it’s software not hardware manipulation:

— As I see it $250-$300 gets a man the performance he needs given the systems install is right-on. Not $600 and up.

He’ll spend as he will. $$ aren’t the only reasons for choices. Non-NRC just makes it a longer slog towards comparable (but not equal) satisfaction.

— The problem of mobile is distinctly in packaging the assemblies to fit the vehicle. It ain’t plug & play and it ain’t maintenance-free. (To the extent simplicity can be had is why this path is my recommendation).

Last edited:

CDX951

Premium Subscriber
I did look at it but due to its size it wouldn’t work for the space I have in my truck. Definitely looks like a nice radio. For anyone interested in the Lincoln, Walcott has them on sale right now and there’s also a promo code which takes another $47 off. Got it today for $271 shipped.
If size is a determining factor, I would go with the Anytone 6666. It has a bit more power than the Lincoln 2 and needs no "golden screwdriver" action on it "innards" to convert to 11 meter. Many are using the Quad 6 straight out of the box and enjoying great results. Can be found on Amazon, Ebay and other online retailers.
Regarding Walcott Radio........they are an excellent place to buy radio equipment, but don't let them put their "fat fingers" inside your radio! They have a less than stellar reputation for tech work. I also highly recommend the WM DSP speaker!

https://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-AT-6...mzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

JD

Moto_user

If size is a determining factor, I would go with the Anytone 6666. It has a bit more power than the Lincoln 2 and needs no "golden screwdriver" action on it "innards" to convert to 11 meter. Many are using the Quad 6 straight out of the box and enjoying great results. Can be found on Amazon, Ebay and other online retailers.
Regarding Walcott Radio........they are an excellent place to buy radio equipment, but don't let them put their "fat fingers" inside your radio! They have a less than stellar reputation for tech work. I also highly recommend the WM DSP speaker!

https://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-AT-6666-Truckers-Programmable-Transceiver/dp/B08JFTP4N2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2MX1M4SLDDXQA&keywords=anytone+6666&qid=1691842496&sprefix=anytone,aps,100&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

JD
Thanks. Ended up receiving the Lincoln the other day and did the conversion. Pretty happy with how it’s performing out of the box.

slowmover

Changed antenna mount on the FTL for one that’s more upright now that I’ve the SIRIO 3/8 Trucker on a 44” shaft (82” total at present; near to 14’ clearance).

The shaft gets coil high enough to reduce problems of Reflect; angle-of-forward-lean with aftermarket antenna installations you’ll see on some big trucks is the effort to get usable SWR readings.

This is far less than the dim bulb “bull horns” look some think is cool with a 30-40/degree tilt.

Now at 11-12/degrees versus 19-20/degrees (which is maximum tilt advised before performance degrades).

Sitting in SE New Mexico parked parallel 8’ from a stucco/lath building with antenna alongside . . and still traded QSO on AM-20 with a New Hampshire station during initial SWR test. (1.4:1).

Skip quite strong this morning.

1,900-miles.

AT5555-N2 for the win.

It’ll take all the mobile antenna design & install quality you can throw at it.

Last edited:

Moto_user

Changed antenna mount on the FTL for one that’s more upright now that I’ve the SIRIO 3/8 Trucker on a 44” shaft (82” total at present; near to 14’ clearance).

The shaft gets coil high enough to reduce problems of Reflect; angle-of-forward-lean with aftermarket antenna installations you’ll see on some big trucks is the effort to get usable SWR readings.

This is far less than the dim bulb “bull horns” look some think is cool with a 30-40/degree tilt.

Now at 11-12/degrees versus 19-20/degrees (which is maximum tilt advised before performance degrades).

Sitting in SE New Mexico parked parallel 8’ from a stucco/lath building with antenna alongside . . and still traded QSO on AM-20 with a New Hampshire station during initial SWR test. (1.4:1).

Skip quite strong this morning.

1,900-miles.

AT5555-N2 for the win.

It’ll take all the mobile antenna design & install quality you can throw at it.

The band has definitely been active the past couple of days. Turned it on this evening and a lot of channels had activity. Brought back memories of the activity levels of the 90's.

slowmover

2023 ain’t over yet. 4W AM with what looks like nearly all the Q5/Ares features in a smaller package and the promise of PRESIDENT-brand quality.
View attachment 144863

A separate thread re Best mobile radio choice.

slowmover

AT5555-N2 Mic Choices

I’ve tried a fair number of microphones (6) and the stock still sounds best.

Except for the Uniden BC645 (Bells, Bobs or Walcott among other vendors).

IMG_3914.jpeg

Noise canceling is what’s at stake while mobile. In which case one can’t go wrong with an Astatic 636L (any truckstop).

IMG_3918.jpeg

One can use TX NRC on the Q5 to tailor outgoing audio. You’ll want someone at other end as you drive around with windows open to then stop, change settings, and get back up to highway speed. (Any mic chosen).

Try both dynamic & electret mics for audio and/or noise-canceling.

— No real need to change stock mic (electret).

— Noise-Cancel is the area of investigation (usually dynamic-type).

Sitting still on hilltop to work Sideband?
Use stock mic.

On road at 70-MPH?
Use noise canceling.

Remember:

Talkback feature does not offer audio as it is heard by others.

If you’ve a second radio & speaker to set either a ways away or can use headphones, that’ll also work till on-road.

Last edited:

slowmover

Changed to dual antennas yesterday (what truckers call co-phase though it’s more accurately called phased).

Emphasis on RX/TX ahead & behind versus wider radius.

IMG_3969.jpeg

The Anytone at radio stack center is just that much better again I found. (Quieter RX).

Latest few posts in below. Thread is to define problem in mobile radio, and what remedies avail.

RF Bond work back underway.

The Q5 responds better to the detailed install work than any radio I’ve previously had in use. From Uniden 880 to President Lincoln II+ or from my collection of Galaxy.

Doesn’t matter what I’ve thrown at it. It chews, swallows, and grows bigger.

My desire is to always run wide open in Squelch & RF Gain for maximum signal capture. I work towards that end.

Last edited:

slowmover

Software Overview

Almost all of what’s shown is accessed thru front panel MENU.

Last edited:

slowmover

I always like Eric’s videos (Farpoint Farms) as he’s a decent baseline for the radio beginner then to those who can read past what’s said:

Whether one uses software to set up (or hires it out), one needn’t get into menu functions while underway. What’s important is pre-set. After that it’s the usual RFG & SQ + Volume from dial controls.

This radio is a re-badge of the AT5555-N2.

Order (200) and they’ll do it for you.

Last edited: