396 custom step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Hey there; I'm aware I can set the frequency "step" manually from 5/7.5/8.33/10/12.5/15 and so on, but is there a way to change what "Auto" does per band? For some rediculous reason, Uniden has set the step size to be totally incorrect on some portions of the band. IE, using the "Auto" mode, 150.280 is invalid, it shows up as 150.275 which is most certainly not correct.

I know the 396XT can do this via software, but I need to know how to change it in the regular 396T. Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The difference is so small that it would be inconsequential, unless the signal is weak. Are you using software?

best regards...Mike

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Yup, using the Butel software.

The difference isn't inconsequential - with narrow band being the "norm" these day, being on-frequency is important. I have had my 396 NOT pick up a signal using Close Call because of this. IE, when I reprogrammed the channel to be on a "proper" frequency according to the step size, it picked it up no problem, but shifting the TX frequency by 5kHz, CC didn't pick anything up.

Since when was 12.5kHz "standard" spacing for VHF channels anyway?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You didn't mention in your original post that you were using Close call -- at least on FreeScan's Close Call menu, it doesn't seem that there is any way to change the step size for the search.

You don't say where you are, but narrowband isn't the norm everywhere - I know there's a mandate to go narrowband by 2013 (I think), but there's been a lot of foot dragging to get that done....best regards...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.