396xt conventional miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

Hello. Have had my 396xt for a couple days now and am overall pleased with its p25 performance on the system i listen to most. However the conventional channels are another story. With a ctcss/dcs tone enabled, it always misses the first half second of the transmission. Sitting next to my psr 500, the psr 500 ALWAYS opens the squelch first. on the psr 500 youll hear "fourteen fremont" but on the 396xt you'll hear "teen fremont"
at first i had the modulation set to auto, then after i noticed Auto always went to NFM, i just changed the channels to NFM manually. i also have my p25 wait time set to 0. What else am i missing so i can hear the ENTIRE transmission like my other lesser scanners can do?

ilgrant

This is just a guess as I experience this on a 245xt...

On my 396t there is a Set Batt Save option. Is it turned on? If so try turning it off.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Be sure you have modulation set correctly. If set to NFM (or AUTO for most bands), if the actual xmission is FM the scanner will have trouble decoding the tones (ditto vice versa).

SquierStrat

i played around and tried all 3. i made an improvement but still havent found perfection. right now its working kinda like my psr500 right out of the box. But on that scanner theres 4 parameters you can change (in regards to ctcss/dcs) and adjusting those a little makes perfection.
i know nothing about software programming (or whatever experience one would need for this) but i strongly feel if this 396xt had similair settings, it could also become perfect in this aspect.

W6KRU

Yes, the Undens lack the adjustments of the GREs and the performance suffers from it. I am not sure why Unden insists on taking the control of the radio away from the operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.