536 truncating frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
I just happened to notice that frequencies with 5 decimal places like 773.681250 somehow got truncated to 4 digits like 773.681200 in my favorites lists. I checked the library and there are 5 decimal places there.

I'm suspecting that the truncation is occurring when I copy "back" from the radio onto my PC.

I know a similar report/topic came up in another thread somewhere but I'm not sure if this is the same thing as was reported then.

Is this a known problem/bug?

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Its not a bug, its just the way the freq is displayed on the radio. Just like on my 436 if I manually type in 774.19375 it leaves the 5 out at the end. I still get my local county P25 control channel. Whether it tunes in to the exact .5 of a kHz I dont know. I dont think it really makes a difference. I mentioned in another thread that someone's 396xt wasnt locking on a 700 Mhz control channel for that reason. I then realized that wasnt the problem.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Its not a bug, its just the way the freq is displayed on the radio. Just like on my 436 if I manually type in 774.19375 it leaves the 5 out at the end. I still get my local county P25 control channel. Whether it tunes in to the exact .5 of a kHz I dont know. I dont think it really makes a difference. I mentioned in another thread that someone's 396xt wasnt locking on a 700 Mhz control channel for that reason. I then realized that wasnt the problem.

Would the "Step Size" affect the resolution of frequencies?

troymail

Silent Key

What I'm seeing is in Sentinel - not on the radio - and I can only attribute that to the radio taking the information provided from the library and truncating it. The transfer of this programming from the radio back to Sentinel is changing the information the library provides.

Digital is about precision so it doesn't make alot of sense.to have the radio changing or truncating information.

I'm looking hard and trying to determine reasons why the radio doesn't stop on activity that my other radios do. This specific oddity (I'll try to avoid calling it a bug) would make me believe the radio isn't tuning fully to the correct frequency. There may well be plenty of "slop" in the tuning and the radio doesn't really care but that really depends on how things really work "under the covers".

Would the "Step Size" affect the resolution of frequencies?

Good thought - maybe UPMan can answer that.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
There has been some comment about the scanner not doing 2.5 spacing on it. This specifically came up in reference to the STARS system in Virginia in both this forum and in the VA forum. There were some issues regarding possible negative consequences of it not being able to operate on those narrow band freqs.

Could that have some bearing on your problems? Both freqs not showing up and not picking up?

Status
Not open for further replies.