800 antenna to supplement a Discone

prcguy

My antenna came in today and I stuck an analyzer on it. Sorry the analyzer was set to look at the lousy match on a 900 amateur band antenna but this new 824 to 960MHz antenna looks real good in the VSWR catagory. Its under 2:1 from 700MHz to 1,000MHz and much less within its specified range. VSWR is not the only spec to look at but its a good start. Compare this plot with the one in post #15 above, its the same analyzer and settings.

Since I looked at several of these on Ebay one of the sellers sent me a special offer of $26.99 including shipping so I bought a second one.

ant.JPG

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
That looks superb compared to the Comet using the same settings. The results appear similar to my 2015 purchase, but at the current scaling it is difficult to tell. Looks like mine will be here Tuesday. I hope it sweeps just as well. Thanks for the heads up as this should help many.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Antenna arrived today and it is not as friendly at 700 MHz, but it wasn't advertised to be either. It also has an N Male at the end, which it shows in the photographs on eBay, but the description notes that it is N Female. Not really a problem for me, but just so you know. Here is the sticker on the front of mine.
Lcom900.jpg

Here's a sweep comparative with prcguy.
Lcom900b.jpg

Here's a plot with the scaling adjusted. VSWR is under 1.5 from 800 to 950 MHz. The results on this antenna would better suit my needs for TX on amateur 900 MHz.
Lcom900a.jpg

Last edited:

prcguy

Interesting that mine was around 2:1 at 700MHz but I had the factory mounting bracket installed which gives it a little ground plane. Did you test on a mounting bracket? Maybe test again with some sheet metal under it?

Antenna arrived today and it is not as friendly at 700 MHz, but it wasn't advertised to be either. It also has an N Male at the end, which it shows in the photographs on eBay, but the description notes that it is N Female. Not really a problem for me, but just so you know. Here is the sticker on the front of mine.
View attachment 91858

Here's a sweep comparative with prcguy.
View attachment 91857

Here's a plot with the scaling adjusted. VSWR is under 1.5 from 800 to 950 MHz. The results on this antenna would better suit my needs for TX on amateur 900 MHz.
View attachment 91859

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Yes, it is interesting. Also, as this has an N Male, I cannot slip it into my other mount or I would have to get an accurate comparison with my other. Hmm...well I did just use a F/F barrel connector on my same mount and the numbers got ugly all over, especially at the low end and around 900. Like 6:1 at 700 MHz.

I'll probably look for another that has an N Female connector and maybe return this one. Still, I wish the results were similar to yours. I will pass on the last seller (athomemarket) as he doesn't know the difference. Which seller did you purchase from and was it N Female? I may end up having to keep it.

Anyways, I found a magnet mount with an N female and popped onto the hood of my SUV and roof. The numbers remained similar despite movement. The ground plane did help to some degree on the low and high ends. It dropped it from 5 to about 3.6 at 700 MHz and did not hit under 2:1 until 785 MHz.

Lcom900d.jpg Lcom900e.jpg

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Great thread! I was looking at similar options earlier and when I saw your comments on the HGV906U I grabbed one. Found one with hardware delivered for $49, so maybe a few more $$ but one stop shopping. Mine will be side-mounted off of my tower and fed through my antenna patch panel, not diplexed.