9 months as a Ham and trying to stay interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4TDM

As many people have said... everyone enjoys different aspects of radio. I have found that I enjoy meeting new people and making contacts on HF... I’m 17 years old, and I enjoy talking to all the older Hams.... also I love to ask people what they are transmitting on, and seeing what kind of setups people have, cause everyone has different ideas of what works best... I have found that The Amateur radio hobby has so many different varieties within it! I love radio in general! That’s my take on it... thanks for reading!

KM4TDM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkaniel

I've had my license coming up on 30 years, and I find it difficult to stay interested. I've put more focus into scanning, DMR, P25, and storm watch. I feel that when we started using the word "hobby" in lieu of "volunteer community service", we somehow took a lot of value away from it, not to mention the damage inflicted when we took away most of the code requirements to pass the tests. I still think Tech's should do 5wpm....not gonna kill them.

This is not the same thing as stamp collecting, bird watching, or the like. I feel like we are more than that.

Wasn't one of the reason that the code requirement was dropped was because not as many people were getting involved in Amateur Radio?

wa4dou

Premium Subscriber
Then should the code be required for all hams......

Too late! What it did was throw open the gate to many who weren't very interested, but were motivated by easier testing. Half of those licensed Iin the period since, never even got on the air. Some, of course, were very interested and would have become licensed, no matter what. It was entirely predictable.

KG5YWM

The older fella I work with that encouraged me to get my General often complains that the test is too easy now with the dropping of the code requirement. The funny thing is though, he is not at all interested in learning about SDR or anything digital. When I try to teach him anything about computers, he gets down right irritable.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I was listening to a conversation on a local 2m repeater last night when one of the participants said, "lets go to 3.905 MHz". Everybody in the original conversation was operating from a base station. I followed them to 75m and there were actually more people who joined in that conversation than were in the original convo on 2m.

While the General question pool may be "too easy", the additional privileges, such as 75m phone, are an incentive to upgrade.

Movieman990

This made for very interesting reading and I saw myself in more than one of the posts.

Bumping it to the top here to see if any other members care to post.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Are you having trouble staying interested?

I am not interested really. I use a 2m mobile during my commute and that's it. Lately though, nobody is out there to talk to so thinking of selling the radio.

Movieman990

Are you having trouble staying interested?

Don't know exactly what it is. I do know that I'm not that interested in pursuing the many angles of ham radio. I think those operators who are really into it go on and explore many of the avenues that are open to them and that's great for them.

I got my license for a limited use while enjoying being outdoors and though I have tuned in and participated in several 2M nets, I find the content mostly not useful to me and some of it just plain difficult to listen to. The view of watching grass grow pales when compared to listening to the paint dry on Joe's shed each day as it finally nears completion...sort of like his slowly drawn out explanation of same. But hey, he's just one guy with a mike.

I also have to admit that the redneck joke of the day (each day) doesn't do anything for me but if it makes the joke teller happy (and some of the listeners I'm sure) then that's a good thing for them if not for me.

Bottom line, we all have our reasons for being hams and the off button is close at hand. Basically if one needs convincing of ham's appeal then they may be on the way out of the hobby.

KE0GXN

Don't know exactly what it is. I do know that I'm not that interested in pursuing the many angles of ham radio. I think those operators who are really into it go on and explore many of the avenues that are open to them and that's great for them.

I got my license for a limited use while enjoying being outdoors and though I have tuned in and participated in several 2M nets, I find the content mostly not useful to me and some of it just plain difficult to listen to. The view of watching grass grow pales when compared to listening to the paint dry on Joe's shed each day as it finally nears completion...sort of like his slowly drawn out explanation of same. But hey, he's just one guy with a mike.

I also have to admit that the redneck joke of the day (each day) doesn't do anything for me but if it makes the joke teller happy (and some of the listeners I'm sure) then that's a good thing for them if not for me

Bottom line, we all have our reasons for being hams and the off button is close at hand. Basically if one needs convincing of ham's appeal then they may be on the way out of the hobby.

Sounds like you need to find your niche is all. For me, its seeing how far my wire can reach another. With that said, do I go on extended periods where I don't key a ham radio microphone, yep. Part of it is you can only get out so far consistently with a modest set-up like I have, so it can be frustrating to hear nothing but noise at times.

One circumstance that I believe helps me right now with becoming disinterested is the fact that I am relatively young, still raising a family and not retired, so I don't have the time to sit in front of a radio like a retired person would and maybe ultimately get bored with the hobby. With said, I believe once I do retire knowing me, my intrest will more than likely increase because I will have the time to get on the air more and be more involved with my club.

I also enjoy the social aspect of it, i.e.club activities, etc... I find it a great way to learn and be Elmered by those that have in some cases been hams longer then I have been alive..lol.

At the end of the day, maybe ham radio may not be for you long term, but based on your post at least it is obvious you are trying to stay interested and more importantly getting on the air!

My 2 cents from a guy who has only been in the game going on 3 years and still interested. ;)

Last edited:

Chronic

3 months , 6 months , now 9 months , are you going to ask or make the same post every 3 months ?
there are many hobbies to consume your time , maybe if Ham Radio does not keep you interested , maybe Knitting would be a better fit .

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Yep and didn't care for messing around with external antennas. Frankly, I don't like the sight of them either.

Both you and the hobby would be better off if you parted ways. You're getting no pleasure from it, and the hobby itself doesn't need yet another crank grumbling about it. I don't mean to sound disrespectful at all, I just think if someone is that unhappy with a truly optional life choice, just stop doing it. There's no reason to complain, just stop pretending to have the hobby.

belvdr

Both you and the hobby would be better off if you parted ways. You're getting no pleasure from it, and the hobby itself doesn't need yet another crank grumbling about it. I don't mean to sound disrespectful at all, I just think if someone is that unhappy with a truly optional life choice, just stop doing it. There's no reason to complain, just stop pretending to have the hobby.
I wasn't complaining or being a crank. A question was asked and I simply said I was not interested any more. When asked about HF, I responded I didn't want to mess with antennas nor look at them on my property.

How is that complaining or grumbling or pretending? It was a simple dialog. It seems like you're offended or upset about my statements when they aren't pointed at any other operator at all.

KE0GXN

Yep and didn't care for messing around with external antennas. Frankly, I don't like the sight of them either.

Maybe it is time for you sell the 2 meter rig and see if you can find another activity that interests you. Nothing wrong with that, there are plenty of other hobbies out threre. Good luck either way.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I wasn't complaining or being a crank. A question was asked and I simply said I was not interested any more. When asked about HF, I responded I didn't want to mess with antennas nor look at them on my property.

How is that complaining or grumbling or pretending? It was a simple dialog. It seems like you're offended or upset about my statements when they aren't pointed at any other operator at all.

Don't read too much into my choice of words. You expressed dissatisfaction with 2 meters, and stated you didn't want to mess with HF antennas. Call it what you want, in my mind, that's "grumbling". That's not a bad word, or a bad thing, it's just what ** I ** call it.

And no, I'm not the slightest bit offended. I'm just suggesting that rather than "grumble" (dialog, rap about, chew the fat) , just remove the hobby from your life. It gives you no pleasure, and others waste time trying to convince you to try something else.

belvdr

Don't read too much into my choice of words. You expressed dissatisfaction with 2 meters, and stated you didn't want to mess with HF antennas. Call it what you want, in my mind, that's "grumbling". That's not a bad word, or a bad thing, it's just what ** I ** call it.

And no, I'm not the slightest bit offended. I'm just suggesting that rather than "grumble" (dialog, rap about, chew the fat) , just remove the hobby from your life. It gives you no pleasure, and others waste time trying to convince you to try something else.
That's funny. I never asked anyone to convince me of anything. I simply answered a question. LOL

zz0468

QRT
Banned
That's funny. I never asked anyone to convince me of anything. I simply answered a question. LOL

No, but this is an internet forum, and that's what people do when someone grumbles about something.

Status
Not open for further replies.