911 Dispatch Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

thescannerdude123

Greater Philadelphia area
Listening to my scanner in Chester County and I keep hearing two things in almost all calls and I can't figure out what they mean.

Something that sounds like "MickYou" or "Mickey" and a number and also something like "Box 20-05". Does anyone know what either of these mean? I hear them call the station number but I also hear both of those and I can't make out exactly what they are saying or why they are saying it.

carbineone

Premium Subscriber
Listening to my scanner in Chester County and I keep hearing two things in almost all calls and I can't figure out what they mean.

Something that sounds like "MickYou" or "Mickey" and a number and also something like "Box 20-05". Does anyone know what either of these mean? I hear them call the station number but I also hear both of those and I can't make out exactly what they are saying or why they are saying it.

MICU - Mobile intensive care unit

thescannerdude123

municipalities are broken down into small coverage areas called boxes. box 20-5 equals station 20 is due in box 5 for a fire alarm, accident, etc.

Interesting - thanks for the reply - any chance there are maps out there (specifically for Chester County) where it would indicate where each box covers?

PCPA

Box designations and assignments change frequently; first-due fire Chief's preferences which must meet with the agreement of municipal officials. Since every County has dozens of municipalities with multiple municipalities falling within a first due area this is "complicated", to say the least.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
One thing these box codes will do is hone responders in on the specific area of concern. Many fire trucks will have a binder (or computer) with mapping broken out by the box zone that shows the hydrants, or special high hazard locations (high rises, SARA sites, etc) and may include floor plans/layouts and other useful info. When I ran fire, we had three ring binders with tabs by box zone that contained all that info.

Another thing tied to this is run card information or which apparatus are due on the box. This info is loaded into the CAD system to aid dispatchers in being able to quickly get dispatches out to all necessary units. In PA, run cards are usually generated by a local fire chief and then sent to the county dispatch for loading into the CAD. This is why a box code may refer to a whole geographic area or a specific facility...it just depends.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
A typical chester county dispatch follows the following format,

1st: A tone (1 beep designates a medical call on the EMS and Fire side of things, or a priority call on the Police Side of things, 2 beeps designates a fire call on the EMS and Fire side of things, 3 beeps designates a "recall" or call being cancelled on the Fire and EMS side)

2nd: Units due (ex, Station 25 for fire calls, or MICU 25-1 for EMS)

3rd: Address ( ex, 123 Main St, cross streets of 1st and 2nd street)

4th: Call Type (ex, Fire Alarm, Falls, Chest Pain, etc)

5th (fire calls only): Box Number (Boxes are the old way of segmenting up a geographical "response territory" for an agency and assigning it a number, ex box 2502, would be Station 25's 2nd box. These boxes are still relevant today as high priority/hazard areas such as schools, attractions that would require a specialized response. Ex, Station 25 is Longwood Fire Company, they provide service to Longwood Gardens, so Longwood gardens would have it's geographic area assigned it's own "box", and when dispatchers see a call in that "box" they know to use a certain parameter of units for that call.

For type of units:

MICU - An ambulance that has ALS(advanced life support) capabilities
MEDIC - Typically an ALS chase car such as an explorer that responds in addition to an ambulance to provide ALS services
AMBLUANCE - A transport capable EMS vehicle
ENGINE - Primary has water and hose for fires
RESCUE - Has rescue tools and NOT always water, though some do
TANKER - Large apparatus with lots of water
TAC - A smaller version of an engine/rescue
BRUSH - A small version of an engine for brush fires
SQUAD - A pickup truck or other transport vehicle
UTILITY - A pickup truck or other transport vehicle
TRAFFIC - A pickup truck or other transport vehicle with traffic control devices onboard

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber

1st: A tone (1 beep designates a medical call on the EMS and Fire side of things, or a priority call on the Police Side of things, 2 beeps designates a fire call on the EMS and Fire side of things, 3 beeps designates a "recall" or call being cancelled on the Fire and EMS side)

5th (fire calls only): Box Number (Boxes are the old way of segmenting up a geographical "response territory" for an agency and assigning it a number, ex box 2502, would be Station 25's 2nd box. These boxes are still relevant today as high priority/hazard areas such as schools, attractions that would require a specialized response. Ex, Station 25 is Longwood Fire Company, they provide service to Longwood Gardens, so Longwood gardens would have it's geographic area assigned it's own "box", and when dispatchers see a call in that "box" they know to use a certain parameter of units for that call.

For type of units:

MEDIC - Typically an ALS chase car such as an explorer that responds in addition to an ambulance to provide ALS services
TRAFFIC - A pickup truck or other transport vehicle with traffic control devices onboard
The tone out thing is a little different where I'm from. 1 beep indicates a medical call, 2 indicates a MVA, brush fire, technical rescue and basically anything besides a 3 beep which would be a AFA, Structure Fire. And then next county over doesn't use beeps at all they just use a different warble tone to indicate a fire or ems call they don't distinguish between the type of call it's just either a FD or EMS call.

Last edited:

thescannerdude123

For type of units:

@magiclightman - thank you so much for your detailed reply - this really helps a lot when listening to calls come across the radio. I appreciate the time it must have taken you to write this all up!

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
The important takeaway is that there are similarities across counties, but each county has their own idiosyncrasies that have evolved over the years. There is a lot of variation in how things are done across the whole country. But, once you get the general idea, it gets easier to figure out what you are hearing from county to county.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Get a map of the local area you are looking to monitor and begin taking notes of the dispatches. First locate the fire stations on the map then you can get a good handle on what each company's first due local is and from there you might be able to narrow down the box locations.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Chester County PA Fire Station Coverage Map

This attached PDF Map was once available on the Chesco website, But I can't seem to find it anymore.
Here's a copy that I saved.

However there's still a lot to explore..

Attachments

• ChesCo Fire Districts 3300.pdf
    602.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.