BCD325P2/BCD996P2: 996p2 weirdness

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
I realize the severe learning curve but I'm stumped. I programmed (proscan) 3 conventional systems into the radio and that's fine.pretty good since I didn't RTFM. They all have correct quick key and number assignments. All imported from the database-gotta love this site!-and they work fine.
Then I try to program an area p25 system and it all goes haywire. My primary conventional system is in #1 QK/number slot. With p25 programmed in, that system "seizes" the scanner and I lose #1 conventional system. Touching quick key on/off makes no difference, no matter what I do it won't appear or scan it even though it shows up when I read the scanner back into the computer. I did RTFM at that point and by all indications, the thing should work. Stumped.
Gonna be an expensive analog unit I guess. Wanted to do the dmr upgrade but not if this happens.
Thoughts?
Thanks 👍

Did Uniden ever do a Sentinel for this radio?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Post your programming file here in .zip format.
All too often when people ask about issues, we have no idea what county, state your trying to get, so where is this?

First stab, did you program in the file, DMR,NXDN frequencies, but did you not buy either format and install the keys in your 996p2?

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Post your programming file here in .zip format.
All too often when people ask about issues, we have no idea what county, state your trying to get, so where is this?

First stab, did you program in the file, DMR,NXDN frequencies, but did you not buy either format and install the keys in your 996p2?
I'll do that later when I get back to Windows. This is a local P25 system. (Northumberland County, Pa) So dmr isn't relevant yet, even though I do want to get that upgrade.
The big issue is the conventional system disappearing when I program in P25. Delete P25 system and the #1 conventional system comes back.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
How many conventional frequencies do you have programmed? The 996 scans at about 80 ch/sec. If you only have a few frequencies being scanned, it goes real fast. The trunk system will spend 1.5 seconds per site. It may seem the conventional is not being scanned but it really is. Just make sure to select the conventional first, make sure it's on, then select the trunk system.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If it seems like the conventional system disappears when you enable the trunked system, you can add a hold time of 1 second to the conventional system. The conventional system is probably just flashing on the display, and you think it is not being scanned.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Just a thought, try programing a Weather channel into to the QK-1 system. then press scan. It's possible the scanner is scanning QK-1
faster than you can see it. If it locks up on the weather then you'll know.
Now on top of this the radioreference import option totally disappeared. Can't find it anywhere. I have more frequencies in #1 conventional than the other conventional system that I see flash up on the display.
Neither software is any good for programming the thing IMO.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Now on top of this the radioreference import option totally disappeared. Can't find it anywhere. I have more frequencies in #1 conventional than the other conventional system that I see flash up on the display.
Neither software is any good for programming the thing IMO.

The RRDB import is located here.

Untitled.png

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
I'm passing on P25. And I went with Butel because it's flawless with all of my other radios and works great. At least when I did load the system in I didn't lose any conventional systems. I really got this thing for dmr as more local businesses etc. are dmr here. And area LE is still analog. However, if I'm gonna run into the same issues with dmr/trbo I'd like to know that now before I spend more money on that, otherwise I'll put the radio on classifieds and call it a day. P25 is not high on the importance scale.
I appreciate everyone's help, I'm an analog guy since 1969 and radio is supposed to be enjoyable. This is not.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
The 996 isn’t going to work well on the simulcast phase 2 system. Even when you get it working, you will be beating you head off the table on those settings and not getting anywhere.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Both are very learnable.
I set my sights lower.. I live in close proximity to the Big House (USP) in Lewisburg, Pa. I loaded that system in from the database but haven't heard a thing the entire evening and night. You would think one of the worst prison systems in the ccountry would have a lot of activity. One site,no simulcast. I hear the control channel just fine when I stop the scan. Note,I'm using ARC Xt. Conventional systems work beautifully. And I used to program system Sabers from rote memory so I'm not new at this stuff.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I live in close proximity to the Big House (USP) in Lewisburg, Pa. I loaded that system in from the database but haven't heard a thing the entire evening and night. You would think one of the worst prison systems in the ccountry would have a lot of activity. One site,no simulcast. I hear the control channel just fine when I stop the scan. Note,I'm using ARC Xt.
Please attach your ARC XT .RSF file for the US Penitentiary so I can take a look at it. You will need to zip the file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I'm passing on P25. And I went with Butel because it's flawless with all of my other radios and works great. At least when I did load the system in I didn't lose any conventional systems. I really got this thing for dmr as more local businesses etc. are dmr here. And area LE is still analog. However, if I'm gonna run into the same issues with dmr/trbo I'd like to know that now before I spend more money on that, otherwise I'll put the radio on classifieds and call it a day. P25 is not high on the importance scale.
I appreciate everyone's help, I'm an analog guy since 1969 and radio is supposed to be enjoyable. This is not.
There have been some good suggestions here.
I certainly feel your pain since I have been in this hobby for a long time, maybe not quite as long as you and I agree about the hobby should be fun and enjoyable. However, as strange as it may seem, the various issues you are having with it are actually fun challenges and opportunities to me. Each person has different things they wish to get out of a hobby. Some just want to turn the radio on and listen others enjoy the challenges of the equipment and learning. I respect both views. To each his own. I recommend you give it more time and see where it leads, but if you feel overwhelmed and unhappy, definitely sell and move on. Best of luck👍📻!

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
There have been some good suggestions here.
I certainly feel your pain since I have been in this hobby for a long time, maybe not quite as long as you and I agree about the hobby should be fun and enjoyable. However, as strange as it may seem, the various issues you are having with it are actually fun challenges and opportunities to me. Each person has different things they wish to get out of a hobby. Some just want to turn the radio on and listen others enjoy the challenges of the equipment and learning. I respect both views. To each his own. I recommend you give it more time and see where it leads, but if you feel overwhelmed and unhappy, definitely sell and move on. Best of luck👍📻!
Thanks for the kind words! I'm starting to dig in. Never gave up before on this stuff, if I can do a Saber I can do this. If you are familiar, with the Saber it was back and forth between zones, scan lists, frequencies, PL's etc. when setting up the codeplug and making sure it all came together as a working radio. Early radio programming on a DOS machine. Still got a bunch lying around, batteries long since failed.
That's how I programmed the scanner for conventional, I created a system, put all the freqs in one group and assigned a quick key so it works like banks. I can wrap my mind around that.