996t not decoding very well

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Just bought 2 new 996t's and there not decoding convintional p25 simulecast here ky near as good as my 2096 i get a great signal on both scanners but the 2096 smokes the 996 on decoding the ky state police

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Nope same antenna system i get a whole bunch of machine gun activity and hardly ever get that on the 2096 it's a good scanner but when it comes to digital decoding in my book you can't beat the 2096

ShawnCowden

what county in kentucky u in ?? I went to visit Laurel County 2 weeks ago and well I had my bc 396 with me and it didnt pick up hardly as good as I wanted it to. I could pick up post 10 but not post 11. Last year I had a GRE PRO 96 and I could pick them up very good both posts.

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Martin county ky,the 996t does ok and has a lot of nice features vs the 20(96) but i have compared the two and as far as i can see the 2096 is much better at decoding p25,but i think in the future uniden will fix this with a firmware update...i monitor post 9 & 14 &13 are there any settings for helping the scanner actually decode the p25? seems it decodes well at times and then it will hit a freq that has 3 or more bars on the s-meter
and it fails to decode it...anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
There is not yet a new firmware for the 996 that i am aware of but i do think uniden needs to address this problem i know it's not just a thing that i bought 2 of these scanners and both of them suffer from not decoding p25 signal's that are plenty strong enough to be decoded,they both miss over 25 to 30 % of digital comms and the 2096 misses less than 5% of the time,the cost of these scanners was over 1100 dollars and i think that they should work much better than they do at the present time,i hope someone who has a connection with uniden will see these posts and address this problem i am very dissapointed in the digital performance of the 996t,as i am not totally unhappy with the scanner nor am i pro gre i am just giving an honest observation between the two....had i known that the 996 perfomed so poorly decoding p25 i may have just waited on purchasing them but i hope they will listen and try and fix this in the form of a firmware update...

Last edited:

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
As far as settings go, try all digital settings on audio rather than "Auto". Have seen this discussion on the Indiana forum for SafeT system monitoring and that has helped them.

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
I have just tried that last night we will see how it goes,but what gets in my cheerios is how easily the 2096 decodes without touching anything no adjusting different things to get it to work there just plug and play and why uniden has had so much trouble getting there product to work at decoding p25 is beyond me ...maybe a rush to get it on the market before they have all the quirks out of the scanner may be the problem

HIP

My Take

I have both radios and have one of the first 996 radios. I personally do not see any difference in the way either radio decodes p25 system I have 2 marcs sites programed in one is on the distant fringe and if anything I think the 996 does slightly better picking up the weak signals...one thing I have noticed following all the 996 threads people are having more problems with the 996 that are useing the wall wart. I have used from day one a regulated power supply and have had no problems,of course this would have no bearing on the digital systems.

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Ok, now that i have audio type set to digital it seems much better comparable to the 2096,works 60% better in digital mode only a big improvement,but uniden needs to take a look at how the scanner is supposed to automatically switch to digital from nfm or fm mode because there is a bug in this because i proved it with 2 996ts and a 2096 side by side...now i have set my 996 as follows works great with threshold on 7 manual... ref on -7 gain on +4 sounds as good now as my pro 2096 thank goodness cause i thought i threw 1,100 out the window,,,

Last edited:

GTO_04

timjude said:
Ok, now that i have audio type set to digital it seems much better comparable to the 2096,works 60% better in digital mode only a big improvement,but uniden needs to take a look at how the scanner is supposed to automatically switch to digital from nfm or fm mode because there is a bug in this because i proved it with 2 996ts and a 2096 side by side...now i have set my 996 as follows works great with threshold on 7 manual... ref on -7 gain on +4 sounds as good now as my pro 2096 thank goodness cause i thought i threw 1,100 out the window,,,

Audio type = digital? Is this something different compared to the 396? I don't have that on mine. Did making those changes eliminate the machine gunning?

GTO_04

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if the 396 had this function or not, but according to other SafeT monitors this stops the machine-gunning.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
timjude said:
I think the 396 does have this option and yes it does make big diff in the ability to quickly decode p25 or at least thats my impression
The 396T does not have that choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.