A bit of news on the R8600 / R30

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankNY

Sorry, Paul, no it doesn't do DMR, although the manual suggests using the signal available at the 12 kHz IF output jack connected to a computer running appropriate decoder software for receiving DRM broadcasts, which are getting more popular in India almost by the day, and which are also used by a few (of the few remaining) international shortwave radio broadcasters.

For those who might happen to dislike redirected Google links, here's a direct link to the PDF file (96 pages, 22,594,870 bytes).

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/IC-R8600_ENG_Basic_0_Book.pdf

Regards,

Frank.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here's a bit more on the 8600

Videos of the Icom IC-R8600 in action | The SWLing Post

On the built in RTTY decoder - is it the same old thing - Just Baudot RTTY??, it's a virtually useless feature that really should be dropped, Apart from hams and perhaps 1 or 2 utilities, Baudot RTTY is dead. There are many more modes out there - even if we're just talking ham usage - where such a decoder might be useful, and the protocols are widely understood. ALE 2G would really be useful for both hams and utility folks alike, but I fear that's dreamin'...even SITOR-B, PSK31 and some of the MFSK modes would make it far more useful to both ham and utility DXer alike. For this kind of money, it's a real disappointment in that department.

DRM in India?? Yeah I read about that. Problem is, this radio will be way too expensive for most Indian DXers. And there are only a few DRM dedicated portables available, from what I've read. Another ridiculous decision by Indian authorities, IMO..but that's way OT here...

Mike.

FrankNY

Digital Modes

Mike, I completely agree with you with regard to Baudot RTTY. Baudot code actually predates me, it's that old. :) Heck, I predate EBCDIC!

And, yes, BPSK31 and other digital (mostly ham) modes such as BPSK63, several MFSK and QPSK modes, even Olivia, could have been included. In fact, I'm monitoring a BPSK31 QSO on 20 meters as I write this (using an Icom IC-R8500 and freeware computer software).

Of course, we could also ask for JT65 mode as well, right, in which case, where would it all end?

I also think that DAB / DAB+ might have been nice to include for those in Europe. TETRA would also have been nice, but that involves trunking.

As for DRM, I agree with you that perhaps India made a less than perfect decision in that choice, but there are a few international shortwave broadcasters using it as well and this is a wideband communications receiver, after all.

Frank.

MStep

Spectrum Scope Question

The radio seems to have enough bells and whistles to keep most monitoring geeks happy for a long time.

Just got finished going through the manual somewhat quickly and I have a question:

The manual states that the range of the scope can be set. From Page 4-2

Settable span:
±2.5, 5.0, 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500 kHz, 1.0 and 2.5 MHz

That would seem to be somewhat narrow. For VHF and UHF, one would expect something like 10 MHz up to perhaps 50 MHz.

However, on the same page, the manual also states:

Settable range:
0.010 ~ 3000.000 MHz.

Can anyone who has experience with the unit explain "span" vs. "range"? Thank you so much.

BuddyPage

Premium Subscriber
Span vs Range

Range is the full frequency range of the receiver, hence starting from 0.010mhz all the way up to 3000 mhz. The span on the other hand is how much of that range's spectrum you can view on the scope. 2.5 does seem a bit narrow for a maximum.

Air490

If it is anything like the IC-R20, the range is the frequency range from which you can set a centre frequency. Span is the is how far either side of the centre the bandscope will monitor. Just guessing...

MStep

Range is the full frequency range of the receiver, hence starting from 0.010mhz all the way up to 3000 mhz. The span on the other hand is how much of that range's spectrum you can view on the scope. 2.5 does seem a bit narrow for a maximum.

Yes, for VHF and UHF work, that is very narrow. Hopefully they will be able to expand it to at least 10 MHz in some future firmware upgrade, but one thing that I have learned--- what you see is what you get. So I'm not counting on firmware updates.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

It is interesting comparing the receiver part of the IC-7300 manual with the IC-R8600 manual. I would not be surprised if the processor and HF receiver sections are the same between the IC-7300 and IC-R8600. The VHF/UHF receiving section replaces the transmitter section. The menus look similar with similar selections on common items.

The maximum scope span is 500 KHz on the IC-7300, which makes sense for Ham HF bands. A 2.5 MHz span on the IC-R8600 is still useful, although 5 MHz is handy for looking at UHF (450 to 455 MHz or 460 to 465 MHz). The IC-7300 has an audio scope function that does not appear in the IC-R8600 manual.

They both have three IF filter bandwidths per mode, but it appears other bandwidths can be set for SSB, CW, RTTY, and AM. They both implement a Twin PBT similar to older analog receivers. The two commercial DSP-based HF receivers I own implement IF Filters and IF Shift differently. One gives you up to 56 bandwidths with the option to remove bandwidths from the selection menu. The other allows you to define parameters for a filter and add it to the list. It appears Icom limits you to a maximum of three bandwidths per mode.

73 Eric

prcguy

I have a 7300 and if the HF performance of the 8600 is similar it will be very very good. I have not paid much attention to the 8600 front panel pictures but the ones of the 7300 don't tell the whole spectrum display story.

The 7300 advertising is usually shown with a very small spectrum display and in several shades of light blue, very boring. You can make the spectrum display much bigger with a smaller frequency readout and change colors of the spectrum display and waterfall. I have my 7300 set up with a bright green trace on a light blue background and its a lot better than the stock settings.
prcguy

Hello,

It is interesting comparing the receiver part of the IC-7300 manual with the IC-R8600 manual. I would not be surprised if the processor and HF receiver sections are the same between the IC-7300 and IC-R8600. The VHF/UHF receiving section replaces the transmitter section. The menus look similar with similar selections on common items.

The maximum scope span is 500 KHz on the IC-7300, which makes sense for Ham HF bands. A 2.5 MHz span on the IC-R8600 is still useful, although 5 MHz is handy for looking at UHF (450 to 455 MHz or 460 to 465 MHz). The IC-7300 has an audio scope function that does not appear in the IC-R8600 manual.

They both have three IF filter bandwidths per mode, but it appears other bandwidths can be set for SSB, CW, RTTY, and AM. They both implement a Twin PBT similar to older analog receivers. The two commercial DSP-based HF receivers I own implement IF Filters and IF Shift differently. One gives you up to 56 bandwidths with the option to remove bandwidths from the selection menu. The other allows you to define parameters for a filter and add it to the list. It appears Icom limits you to a maximum of three bandwidths per mode.

73 Eric

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
DRM Digital Radio Mondale for HF broadcast.

This is what it sounds like if you have a strong signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MxebahJBEc&t=13s

I watched the videos on the R8600 mentioned above.

Hard to tell about the receive below 30 Mhz .

Might have been his antenna there was a lot of fading on
most signals.

I did gather it has a very good (NR) noise reduction button.

Someone asked if the reviewer could post a video of
reception above 30 Mhz.

He stated he had no antenna for that.

I agree about the RTTY decoder it should have been as least PSK 31.

I guess you can always use Multipsk for HF modes
and DSD Plus for other modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.