A Digital Pro-107?

Do you think the Pro-107 can support digital scanning?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpunix

It seems to me that the Pro-107 is almost entirely software driven. RR database, control software, and firmware are all upgradable. So what's to say that DSP funtionality can't be added as a future firmware upgrade? Can APCO-25 and other digital mechanisms be supported with a firmware upgrade or is this something that has to be done via an actual hardware upgrade? I tend to think that digital capabilities can be added via firmware on the current hardware platform. What do you think?

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Firmware is nothing more than software that's been programmed, or embedded into hardware. You need to have additional hardware components in the design using the additional firmware,in order to decode P25.

While it's possible the required hardware components could already be in-place, it's unlikely, at the price they're selling it for. My guess is if the PRO-107 design is successful and catches on, we will eventually see a new model that is capable of decoding P25, but not as a firmware upgrade for the existing PRO-107. But one can always dream! :)

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
This depends on how much this radio is software defined. It would need memory allocated ahead of time to do so, but I think it could be done. It could open up to the possibility of audio recording to a compressed or uncompressed format, and maybe we could even see a MDC1200 decode. The possibilities are endless. Let's see what shows up at CES2010 next month.

jpunix

who thinks its possible? thatd be retarded on rs's part, digi's are 500...but in 6 months we'll release a secret code that makes this $200 scanner decode.

So what makes you think the $500 digital scanner will remain the standard pricing structure? Would you pay $300 for a VCR when DVD recorders are $200? Would you pay $300 for a HDMI DVD player when a Blu-Ray player is available for $260? It's all in the marketing and pricing as well as the availability of technology.

I see the iScan as a new model of a low-priced scanner that can possibly bring digital scanning into a financial model that is affordable for the casual consumer.

The scanning world is a hobby for most. Many people don't have the disposable income to drop a possible $500+ to keep up with the new digital systems being implemented.

I'm just hoping that the Pro-107 is a entry point into a new technology that will provide the best of most scanning needs in a world where better technology needs to be offered to the common scanner enthusiast.

My first scanner had five channels and was crystal-controlled. My Pro-107 has more channels than I can dream of and my hope is to be able to keep it current in this age of new technology.

sjlamb

So what makes you think the $500 digital scanner will remain the standard pricing structure? Would you pay $300 for a VCR when DVD recorders are $200? Would you pay $300 for a HDMI DVD player when a Blu-Ray player is available for $260? It's all in the marketing and pricing as well as the availability of technology.

I see the iScan as a new model of a low-priced scanner that can possibly bring digital scanning into a financial model that is affordable for the casual consumer.

The scanning world is a hobby for most. Many people don't have the disposable income to drop a possible $500+ to keep up with the new digital systems being implemented.

I'm just hoping that the Pro-107 is a entry point into a new technology that will provide the best of most scanning needs in a world where better technology needs to be offered to the common scanner enthusiast.

My first scanner had five channels and was crystal-controlled. My Pro-107 has more channels than I can dream of and my hope is to be able to keep it current in this age of new technology.

I think that the scanner industry has done its' market research well and has concluded that $500 is the approx. upper limit for a consumer grade scanner. If they felt that they could move the same # of units at $700; that would be the price. If target sales numbers required a price point of $400; then that would be the price. Top of the line models will continue to see a price point around $500 until that is no longer the "magic number".

jpunix

I think that the scanner industry has done its' market research well and has concluded that $500 is the approx. upper limit for a consumer grade scanner. If they felt that they could move the same # of units at $700; that would be the price. If target sales numbers required a price point of $400; then that would be the price. Top of the line models will continue to see a price point around $500 until that is no longer the "magic number".

Let's see what happens. Can RS and the general scanner industry sell more-for-less or less-for-more? But the basic question is still standing before us... Does the Pro-107 have the memory capacity and the hardware to be upgraded to digital?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
there can probably be a version of the Pro-107 (same form factor but different hardware) that can do the digital but NOT the same unit you have with a firmware upgrade.

John_M

No. There is no DSP in the Pro107. Thats like saying you can do a firmware upgrade on the BCD346T and turn it into a BCD396XT.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I doubt it. Not for $200 or even $300.

I once asked Paul Opitz if Uniden could make a bare bones digital scanner for the casual consumer. No tone out, no 6 gillion channel memory, no needless bells or whistles, just a simple, dedicated P25 scanner with basic, BASIC features for $200-300. His answer? "Would love to find a way". Meaning "No." I tried to find the actual post, but the search page doesn't seem to want to cooperate with me today.

However GRE is allegedly going to be unveiling something huge at CES that will "change scanning for years to come". Wish I knew what they mean by THAT.

-AZ

DonS

I tend to think that digital capabilities can be added via firmware on the current hardware platform. What do you think?
I "think" the PRO-107's hardware platform will not support digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.