• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

A Unication newbie ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Im holding off on getting mine. I learned a few days ago they dont do legacy Type 2 systems. So for my needs (yours may vary) thats a bit of a deal breaker untill more systems around me migrate off the old Type 2 systems.

rcpwisc

Premium Subscriber
I'm in possession of the 536 now, and I've discovered that when the scanner locks on to the P25 Phase II system, I can actually hear conversations now. There's some distortion, but not as much as there was with the Grecom unit. I'm not hearing a whole lot though, so that's still an issue. Now it's time to experiment with the Yagi and see what happens with that.

Here's a question - every time the scanner picks up on the P25 system, it's always using the same frequency. Would it help at all if I deleted all the other frequencies out of the site entry and kept only the one that the scanner seems to pick up on?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I keep the primary and secondary control channels in my unit.
With older Type 2 they rotated every 24 hrs. What im seeing on Phase 1 and 2 systems it seems to want to stay on a CC all the time and rarely switches to the alternate. At least with the systems around me thats what i have noticed.

Also adjust your digital threshold. All of mine were set to Auto, but many have reported Manual then 8 work well for them. I have tried this on a few systems and it does indeed make it a bit better.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Let's try to keep this about the Unication and not Uniden's.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
They are an expensive pill to swallow but the advantage is that they don't require a system key to program and have a real receive only setup with no affiliate issue. Also some dealers will sell at a cheaper package price with battery and charger plus they have plans for a dual band version in the very near future.

I am looking at the KNG2 P800. Keep in mind the price you see is the baseline radio. You have to add for: Antenna, Battery, Programming Cable, Software, PII TDMA (if you need it), and a drop in charger. The KNG2 has the keyboard which you have to have if you want Bluetooth. So far my best price is around $3300.00. I am working with 3 different dealers. My worst price is $4929.00. That is NOT going to happen.

prc117f

"But now I think this is actually a plus, as more sites go to LSM, you will see streaming sites go away as scanners fail to comply with the P25 standard and demodulate correctly. and that means less of a chance of total encryption."

Excellent Point !!!

My fear is the streaming folks will pony up for these units. I think its better to keep these things kind of on the downlow. I guess the cat is out of the hat but hopefully most do not visit this area. I would not make too much of a big deal about them and be discrete about the G4/G5

wirr

Database Admin
I also noticed, however, that DaneCom is Phase II. The Unication will not currently monitor Phase II. WISCOM is Phase I. You might have to get the Unication for WISCOM and use a Phase II scanner for DaneCom.

DaneCom is not Phase II. There was a temporary error in the database. The G5 works well on DaneCom, even from outside the county.

prc117f

This G5 is a lifesaver. love the fact that it fits in my shirt pocket and I can leave the clunky heavy P7300 work radio in the homeoffice when I am oncall and have this little pager instead. Also the Audio is crystal clear and punchy. I wish the P7300 had audio as nice as the G5.

These Unication guys really did a great job with this little radio. I am thinking of buying a second unit for spare. Its like removing a ball an chain from your body :)

prc117f

The moment Unication adds Phase 2 to the G5 (or maybe it'd be the G6?) then I'll set aside money to buy one. Everybody seems to love these things.

Good idea. Never like to buy things based upon a future promise. It might never happen or P2 sucks and the G6 phase 2 is the real deal :)

Yes the these Unication pagers are great its a amazing little radio even fits in the palm of my hand, rocksolid construction (good enough for explosive atmosphere and IP67)

I suspect these things are SDR architecture with some kind of ARM cpu for the control plane. I could see the G5 supporting DMR tier III if they chose to do so.

It have a punchy clean audio you can even hear the background in the room where the dispatcher works, key clicks etc.. very clear. It does not matter where this radio is it can be laying down in the car seat cushion, on the floor, in a metal shed,inside my pocket,etc..

The only thing I would like to see is some kind of (compressor/limiter) to push up the audio when someone is talking into a mike 5 feet away :)

The G4/G5 is high quality commercial subscriber radio and do not miss a call period since they are obviously used for critical applications such as Fire dispatch paging etc. I do recommend if you end up buying one is get the stand, using the USB charger connector is a pain and I could see it wearing out the connector if you do this day in day out. Great for programming not great for charging.

I like drop in charging like the work radio. (plus it can lock in place using the belt clip end)
Guys at work are impressed with it and all want one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.