• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Abandoned Motorola Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

I worked on the CoveragePlus system and remember going for two week training class on it. I used the phone patch part of the system all the time as I was driving around. Our shop got billed for airtime minutes. My boss gave me the nickname Maxx Timeout.

I was Network Services certified!
I may have been in that class with you because I remember taking it, too. I was so excited that there was a component of R-56 in the class... and then it was like very minimal.

I only got called out once. It was a Saturday in winter and the HVAC unit was stuck in air conditioning mode instead of heat. And, that was that! I always seemed to luck out being on call. I always used to hear Lenny and Kevin complaining about being up all night at XYZ site with Motorola central dispatch.

And, admit it, that 60 second TOT on the shop 800 MOSTARs must've killed you, LOL! I liked the 900 SMRs better - and we could change the TOT value!

Going a bit off topic, obviously, but that's fine with me. Now I'm curious, are the current editions of any vendor's P25 systems using an automated self-test and self-calibration system yet?
Fixed-end or subscriber? BK uses an automated calibration setup at their factory. Unfortunately, the results of the test setup and the actual device under test sometimes don't mesh on the bench. Not aware of anyone doing that on fixed-end, but there may be over-the-air eye pattern analyses.

xmo

Elroy wrote: " Going a bit off topic ..."

I would say way off topic. This topic about the old Motorola headquarters has really become about Motorola nostalgia..

A discussion about automated self test / calibration is totally unrelated and interesting enough in its own right to warrant a new topic.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
A discussion about automated self test / calibration is totally unrelated and interesting enough in its own right to warrant a new topic.
Feel free to start one.

RocketNJ

I may have been in that class with you because I remember taking it, too. I was so excited that there was a component of R-56 in the class... and then it was like very minimal.

I only got called out once. It was a Saturday in winter and the HVAC unit was stuck in air conditioning mode instead of heat. And, that was that! I always seemed to luck out being on call. I always used to hear Lenny and Kevin complaining about being up all night at XYZ site with Motorola central dispatch.

And, admit it, that 60 second TOT on the shop 800 MOSTARs must've killed you, LOL! I liked the 900 SMRs better - and we could change the TOT value!

I scrounged up a full duplex Maxtrac with the handset. Almost like a REAL mobile phone! Ralf used to rag on me about how many minutes a month I would use on the phone. Probably about 1000 minutes a month :)

The Coverage Plus site in Denville was fun. Outdoor shed next to a water tank intermingled with $1 million houses. Went there in middle of the night one time and neighbor called the cops on me. Remember the 800 community repeater in Cedar Grove? Guy built a $5 mil mansion next to it.

I remember going to the pilot SmartZone 3.0 training class at Schaumburg. First class they ever put on for SZ. A two week class that they later condensed down to 1 week. Motorola back in the day was good about training their field techs. Then "graduated" to certified Network Services. Then FTR/ST. A good company to work for. They always afforded me opportunities to expand my knowledge. No regrets.

And ALWAYS made it a point of visiting the Motorola Museum every time I went. They would change it up a bit from time to time.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I'd restart that question if I hear a suggestion as to what subforum it fits best in.
I was referring to the fixed site system equipment, incidentally. Seems to me that these days it's very technically feasible for all sites to self-monitor and automatically realign themselves as needed. Embed the measurement systems in the site, provide switching networks to connect the radio equipment to the test equipment, and from there on it's software applications. Anything short of realigning duplexers and combiners should be able to be done via software.

xmo

elroy wrote: " I'd restart that question if I hear a suggestion as to what subforum it fits best in."

Good point - 'industry discussion' would probably have been best in retrospect, but I started this topic:

Perhaps a moderator can move it - or - we can rename it to "Automated self test and self calibration in Motorola systems"

iowajm780

The Motorola museum was neat when I saw it over 20 years ago!. Had my HT1000 with me and I was the only one there at the time. Nifty seeing all those radios and older stuff they had on display. I forgot my digital camera and there were no real cell phone cameras back then. I did not know if they allowed cameras, but since I did not have one the point is moot. But if they did allow and I did bring my camera, it would have been nice to have those today. 98% of my radios are Moto's for a very good reason, they work very well.

K4APR

I'm a current Motorola Solutions employee. Been up there many times for training and staging throughout my career with MSS's, NASA and now I am a system manager for a major customer in Virginia. Heading up there at the end of March for Secure training. I've watched the facility whittled away over the years. I enjoyed going to the tower and the old "Innovation center" when it was still in operation. Elgin staging is a really nice facility. I'm just glad they didn't move training downtown. Most of the instructors told me they threatened to revolt if that happened and they would have just took early retirement. I guess management listened, because training stayed right there in Schaumburg.

nickcain

Premium Subscriber
Here is a view of the field looking west:

View attachment 108153

This is in Scottsdale, proximal to the GED plant. The road on the far right is McDowell Road and the mountains in the upper left are the South Mountain range.
Now that is INTERESTING! Thought I knew about all the old airfields in AZ. Learned to fly in the valley in 1970. Much busier now...

Status
Not open for further replies.