AC Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You can buy wall wart type AC adapters at Radio Shack. Cat. No. 273-354. Price includes one tip of your choice. 6 volt 800Ma. Take the radio to make sure you get the right tip. Observe correct polarity when attaching the tip. The tip is positive. I keep a couple around in different rooms.

minoxas

The AC adapter on my 396XT died. I was curious if anyone has purchased a 3rd party ac adapter either from ebay or another source and if it worked properly or not.

I was looking at the adapter below, but I have no idea of the feedback for that particular adapter because the seller is blocking the item description.

AC Adapter for Uniden AD1001 BCD396XT BC346XT BCD396T BR330T Scanner Power Cord | eBay

Thank you.

If you have the dead Adapter, Look for the following. AC Volts Input. Probably 120Volts AC. Output Volts. Probably 12Volts DC. Current, probably 500ma - 1000ma. Polarity. picture showing + and - to the plug. With that information Radio Shack or any Electronics supplier can give you what you need. If you can send me a picture of the adapter showing this information, I might be able to help you..

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I own a 396T it uses a 6 volt adapter as does the 396XT. The adapter that I have is the OEM adapter it is clearly marked 6 volts at 800Ma. There is no probably, that is what it is. In my previous post I provided the Radio Shack part number or it can be ordered from Uniden for $18.95. These radios use 6 volt adapters because they have only 3 1.5V cells. Do not connect a 12 volt adapter.

Last edited:

W9NES

You can purchase the power adapter you need for your Uniden 396xt direct from Uniden Parts. You can call them at 1-800-554-3988. I buy a lot of parts from Uniden when I need them. Just tell them you need a ac adapter for a Uniden 396xt and they will take care of it from there. You can use a debt card over the phone for quicker shipping.

SCPD

QRT
You can purchase the power adapter you need for your Uniden 396xt direct from Uniden Parts. You can call them at 1-800-554-3988. I buy a lot of parts from Uniden when I need them. Just tell them you need a ac adapter for a Uniden 396xt and they will take care of it from there. You can use a debt card over the phone for quicker shipping.
I'm aware of that. When I first checked uniden it was $30.

jackj

If the seller is blocking ANY information about the product he is selling then he is hiding something. STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!!

You can get any number of after-market AC adapters from either eBay or Amazon.com that will work. Just be sure that the connector's polarity matches the scanner's. The scanner's connection should be marked. Also get one that matches the OEM AC adapter's specs as to current and voltage.

There are two basic types of AC adapters, transformers and switching. The transformer's output can be either AC or DC voltage regulated or non-regulated, you want one with an output that is DC and regulated. All switching types are DC and regulated but they all generate RF hash or interference. Get one that has a bump in the cord or a cylinder that is either at the adapter or close to the tip. This is a choke and will reduce the RF hash. Don't buy based on just price or you will get burnt.

W9NES

I would buy the adapter direct from Uniden..This way you know you are getting the RIGHT adapter. I was not buy anything from another source other than Uniden. Other adapters could cause damage to the Unden 396XT with improper voltage.Your best bet is to by the Uniden adapter direct from Uniden. Other users have reported damage caused to the scanner. If the scanner is Under warranty status Uniden will not repair the unit because improper voltage being applied to the unit.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I recommend taking any adapter (ever OEM) and testing its under load to insure that its output voltage is stable. Also, use a scope to see what kind of ripple or noise products are present in the DC output. As an alternative, you should consider using external batteries. The reduction in noise and pure DC supply will dramatically improve your scanner performance. Your scanner will also be totally protected from power line transients and power outages.

Status
Not open for further replies.