SDS100/SDS200: Accessibility, firmware changes that would help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb9rsq

Premium Subscriber
My understanding of the SDS100 and the entire process behind programming it is still far from perfect.
Up front I want to make several points clear since I have been blasted and flamed in other forums simply for expecting blind users to be provided with the same access and functional usage of radio scanning products as sighted consumers.
If you can't acknowledge that basic right please don't bother to respond at all.

I have more than 35 years of experience in computing and technology related fields.
I have served as a beta tester for many screen reading products as well as various devices designed to provide some sort of audio feedback related to successful operation.

In order to be effective I kneed to understand how a device or product should behave and what information is required for a blind user to interact with that product.
Because the SDS100 is new to me as well as the concepts behind its programming and operation I apologize for any errors I make in describing what I want it to do and how it fails to supply me with the feedback I need.

In addition because it is difficult to read the massive amount of posts in all the forums here and on other sites I also may touch on features or functions already discussed and that have been dismissed as impossible or unreasonable.

In general I have found the BCDX36HP software to be quite useful and most if not quite all elements are read by Jaws for Windows, one of the screen readers I run.
The most difficult areas are the tabs within the profile settings. Several of the controls are being read with the wrong labels.
I suspect this is related to where in the screen layout the label for the control is placed.
However my primary concerns are with the radio so that is the focus of this message.

Without speech output to guide the blind user the only real option is sound.
The SDS100 issues several beeps in various situations.
The triple beep is clearly an error message.
There are double beeps and single beeps and they do have different pitches.
There is also a nice pair of descending tones.
With these tones to work with maybe a change or two would help.

My biggest problem is just what the radio is scanning when I turn it on.
Here is where my understanding may be getting in the way.
My example is a set of 5 favorites lists all with lots of systems and departments defined.
Yes, all quick keys are on.
Yes all have monitor and download on in the scan selection.
Each of the 5 have a config key set from 0 to 4.

Turning on the radio and pressing 0 loads favorites list 0 as it should.
Scanning is happening, life is good!
I'd really like to turn on FL1.
I hold then enter 01 and enter.
No joy.
I turn off the radio and then back on pressing config key 1.
FL1 loads and scanning starts.
I'd like FL0 so I try to turn it on, no luck.
Feature or user error?

Next issue is systems and departments.
What is on and what is not?
Experimenting I managed to turn all of the systems in my FL0 off.
Radio turns on and I get the nice triple beep.
No problem turning on a system.
Radio comes on and scanning starts.
I turn on a second system in FL0 and now scanning two systems is going fine.
As long as I remember which two are on things are fine.
If not then accessibility becomes important.

Turning on or off a system or department results in the descending two tone sequence.
The problem is knowing whether I turned the item on or off.
Both actions result in the descending pair of tones.
A simple fix in the firmware that used a ascending two tone pair for on and descending for off would go a long way towards accessibility.
Since the tone values are already part of the code using them in reverse order should be a minor change.

If this principle of ascending pairs for on and descending pairs for off were universal to any of the user on/off operations throughout the scanner I could use them to confirm what I'm scanning if I forgot.
Not perfect since a sighted user can just look but short of a full speech output system it would be one tool that would help.

Using the software to constantly return the radio to a known state is yet another method for being able to get basic functions from the scanner.
Solving the question of the favorites lists on/off status after power up would be another tool.
With my older bank/channel style radios I simply have my defaults stored in software and when I get to lost I just reload.
The defaults have all banks off.
I then can just turn on the ones I want.
I can also toggle banks I suspect of being on and when I try to turn off the last active bank I get a warning beep indicating I can't do that.

Being able to use a similar approach on the SDS100 would only work if it was possible to toggle favorites lists.
I'd just create a profile with nothing on and start where I wanted.
Combine the tone sequence fix with the ability to toggle and I have even more control and understanding of what I'm scanning.

Timeout beeps for functions that are momentary would also be a huge help.
I'm thinking of the volume and squelch functions.
I find myself trying to change volume but if I took to long then I get the beeps and I'm suddenly changing something but no idea what.
Sighted users could easily know from the display but that's not an option I have.

Ok, wish!
I'd much rather have volume as the default function for the knob with secondary functions after push or function then push.
Really dreaming, modes that stay until canceled.
Example:
Volume after push of knob then point on the keypad to end.
Function then push knob for squelch, point on keypad to end.

I'm sure as I learn more about the radio and use it I will find other areas that could use some minor changes to improve my ability to operate it.
I hope that somebody at Uniden takes this seriously enough to consider my suggestions.
I also hope that through discussion blind users and sighted users can interact in ways that generate tricks, tips and modifications to help all of us.

SCPD

QRT
Try this :
Make each town or system a favorites list name and number each one
Name Favorites lists like this:
01.Your town
02.Next town
03.Next thing etc....

Then its as easy as turning all the lists On, all off or you can monitor one ,three or sixty five and you know exactly what you have on when you "Select a list to monitor"

Works perfect here.
Set every channel on Priority you love and set the scanner for Priority DND. The scanner will be very active, I assure you..

wb9rsq

Premium Subscriber
Bug or design, more accessibility stuff:

Since menus for blind users are not functional when they reach the complexity of those on the SDS100 things like the favorites quick keys should be the solution for what is being monitored.
Unfortunately it appears that either by design or by bug FLQKs don't do what they should.
To understand the problem you need to follow the steps and logic I outline below.

I use the BCDX36HP software to create a profile.
In this profile I have several favorite lists defined.
I have not defined any system, or department/site quick keys.
However I have assigned all of my lists different keys.
Editing the favorite lists I confirm that all have a key assignment and that all quick key check-boxes are checked even though I don't have 99 assigned keys.

Next I confirm in the profile edit that all of my lists are set for download and monitor.
Then again I confirm in the program settings for each of my defined lists that the download and monitor values are checked.
I write the profile and turn on the scanner and it starts scanning.
At this point I can use the assigned keys to turn on and off any of my lists.
Of course as soon as I forget which ones are on and off I have to reload with a new write from my saved profile.
See my first message about making the enable and disable tone sequence different.

What I really want is for everything to be off when I first turn on the scanner and then enable the list I want depending on where I am or what I want to hear.
I am still faced with remembering what is on and off but starting from 0 is easier than starting from 20.

Now for the bug or design issue.
In the software I set all of my lists to download but turn the monitor check-box off.
When I write the profile to the radio all of my lists should be there and available, just not turned on.
I can't turn them on with the flqk.
If my sighted partner goes in through the menus to the manage favorite lists and changes the check-box on the radio to on then that list becomes available from the flqk.
So it was in the radio.

Why don't the FLQKs work when the lists are loaded but written from BCDX36HP with monitor off?
If I have sighted help to turn on all favorite list check-boxes on the radio then read the scanner to a profile in the software the boxes in both the profile edit scan selection area and the ones in the monitor menu for each favorite list show enabled.
It seems to me that if a list is downloaded, has a FLQK defined and all quick keys are enabled then I should be able to toggle any favorite list with a FLQK assigned.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It sounds as if, when you write your profile to the scanner, you have all of the Favorites lists set as off (avoided), but downloading to the scanner.

When you boot up the scanner, nothing is enabled, right?
And you cannot toggle any of your lists on via the quick key?

I realize, from your comments, that you are not sighted, and may not see the display. But if I understand your comments correctly, the scanner is probably booting up, and shows 'Nothing To Scan'. This Wiki page has more information: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Nothing_to_Scan

As noting on that Wiki page, you should be loading to the scanner with at least one Favorites list/system set to scan. If all of your systems/lists are not Avoided (locked out), but are turned off via the quick key, you would not be able to toggle one or more of them on via the quick key. At least one thing has to be active and monitorable, before you can use the quick keys to control everything else.

You can set at least one of them as 'enabled', then you could selectively enable one or more of the others. Once you had at least one other list enabled, then you could toggle off the 'default enabled list'. But if you, in error, turned off all of the lists being monitored, you would be back to 'nothing to scan'. That is the way the scanners are set up. If nothing is turned on (enabled), then you cannot access the quick keys to toggle a system or Favorites list on.

One other suggestion would be to create another favorites list, without any quick key, and set it to both download as well as be monitored. Create a system in it with at least one frequency, which is not locked out. That does not have to a frequency in use in your area, just a valid, programmable frequency, that if active, the scanner could monitor. As that would give you an active, 'monitorable' list for the scanner to start with, then you should be able to use your quick keys to turn your other lists on or off (enabled or disabled).

wb9rsq

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the great suggestion.
I couldn't wait to get home and try it out.

I had read the info on the quick keys you referenced but didn't make the connection.
Luck apparently still is not running my way.

I turned all lists to download and monitor off.
Then created a new single channel favorite using the local WX.
That way I could be sure the radio was on and receiving.

I set that list to key 00 and set download to on and monitor to on.
I then wrote the updated profile to the radio and turned it on.
Weather came up but still none of the other favorite list keys did anything but error triple beep.

I'm attaching my profile to this message in the hope that somebody smarter than I can figure this thing out.
My objective is to have the radio come up in a known state with only one active list but the ability to toggle any of the "downloaded" lists on/off.

I'd rather have no lists active when powering on but according to the various articles out there that's not going to happen.
So my weather favorite is a good choice and because it always will stop the radio I can be sure that once I'm scanning other favorite lists that it gets turned off.

Attachments

• current 09-12-2018.zip
    3 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.