Airnav RadarBox paired with DPD Productions ADS-B Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Type in ZRL-2400LN+ into the model search and the page pops up with specs.

The link is post 117 provides a pdf of the LNA.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thanks abqscan! That's the one I was looking for.

02blackss, that's a band pass filter and would probably do more harm than good on my system. I'm not in a high rf environment and the insertion loss caused by using it would negate any benefit.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Jason

Do you think a picture of the installation is possible? I'd liek to get a real example of it. Please let us know the results, I may invest in one for the spring.

I will take a picture of it and upload it tonight sometime. I just got into work. All I know is that from watching my screen for about 30 minutes this morning before I left for work there were several more contacts then usual at 5am. Usually all I am seeing around my area is FedEx and UPS flights. I was noticing alot more contacts especially to the south...Pensylvania, Ohio, New York etc that I never have seen before. I can say with 100% accuracy that this band pass filter is definitely doing its job and only allowing that limited range of frequencies to get through. It also appears to be of very good quality construction. I will take the minor insertion loss for the "cleaner" signal anyday.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Also, if you are serious about your setup - I strongly encourage you to get a good quality LNA. I'm using this:

Mini-Circuits

It probably added 50-75nm of range to my setup.

Lindsay. did this LNA come with a power supply? Also, where did you mount the LNA. Close to the antenna, or close to the radarbox. I called mini-circuits and they are currently out of stock on them. They should be in next week.

regards,

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
You'll need to provide 12V+ DC to the amp. There is a 4 ft run of coax between the antenna and the LNA. the LNA is then connected directly to the radarbox with a 2 inch SMA patch cable.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I am considering the LNA, which would be installed at the antenna (in my attic). I am also thinking about the bandpass filter as I live in a high noise environment.

Would the bandpass filter be best installed at the radio end of the coax or up at the antenna? If it is best at the antenna, would it go before or after the LNA?

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this is a hard and fast rule, but generally you want the amp at the mast so you're not amplifying any noise in your feed line and the filter at the receiver so you are filtering out the same noise.

Here's a video made by a user in Colorado demonstrating the potential effectiveness of a filter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di-ee2G_f8g

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
You want the filter before (antenna side) the amp, assuming the filter has a low insertion loss and you have good quality well shielded feed line. That reduces the amplification of unwanted signals (noise).
And you want the amp as close to the antenna as possible.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm intrigued - looks like I'll need to purchase this bandpass filter to see how I can even better increase range.

Mini-circuits really is a paradise for helpful hardware for our hobbies :)

Lindsay,

DId you end up getting the bandpass filter for ADS-B? And if so, did you notice any improvement by putting it inline?

Mike

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I finally broke down and bought a filter. I just installed it at my Beast and have noticed a significant increase in the message rate - at least 200 messages per second. I'm up to 600 Mode-S and 2384 Mode-A/C at the moment. Just my initial observation.
I'm about 20 miles south of KLAX.

Mark

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I finally broke down and bought a filter. I just installed it at my Beast and have noticed a significant increase in the message rate - at least 200 messages per second. I'm up to 600 Mode-S and 2384 Mode-A/C at the moment. Just my initial observation.
I'm about 20 miles south of KLAX.

Mark

I have one of the DPD 1090 antennas, but I haven't had a chance to put it up yet. To be honest, I've had little interest given the ever-changing weather and the fact that all I have to monitor with right now is a E4000-based dongle. I'd like to get the Beast or the Transponder Mouse, but they apparently don't want to make it easy for anyone to buy them.

Maybe once I get the antenna up and it reveals how bad my current 2m/440 mhz dual band vertical is for ADS-B, I might become more enthusiastic.

I also have both a Stridesberg multicoupler and a Par TV filter, and both of them claim upper limits of 1 Ghz. i'm wondering if I'm losing out having them inline.

Mike

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Hi Mike.

That antenna makes all the difference. Even with the RTL dongle. I have one also and connected it to the DPD antenna and there was a significant improvement in RX.
I didn't have too much trouble getting my Beast, but that was over a year ago.
Definitely worth the investment if you can get your hands on one.
I would be careful with the multicoupler and preamp. Probably worth some experimentation to see if it is adversely affecting your reception.

M6MXP

Premium Subscriber
filter

Lindsay, what is the part or model # of the LNA? The link to Mini-Circuits comes back with a complaint that the search criteria didn't return any results.

Thanks!

3 years ago i had trouble with my airnav radarbox the only flights i could receve were the ones that passed directly overhead .i found the problem by turning the power off in the house ,the problem was a 2.4 ghz
wireless camera i was using,now i have a problem again ican only recieve planes up to 20 miles away ,i suspect a neigbor has put a camera up ,i will know on thursday as we are having the power turned off for a while.i have sent to minicircuits for a quote for a filter

Status
Not open for further replies.