Alamo Area Regional Radio System (AARRS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Surprised that the city went with Motorola. They been bed with the local Harris dealer down there for 25 years. I would love to see the test report.
The firefighters wanted MSI from the beginning….especially after the original testing.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
The firefighters wanted MSI from the beginning….especially after the original testing.
Wouldn't surprise me at all that they wanted MSI. The city was using M for years until they did away with the old trunking system. Then Harris came into the game with the PV system. I remember when that system went online back in 03. Sounded like garbage at first. Took them a bit to get it figured out. I moved out of SA not too long after that, but it looks like the whole county went on the PV.

BCSO-Insider

I’m happy that SAFD finally made a decision and chose Motorola. Everyone but SAPD (and then really just an ignorant few) and ITSD wanted Motorola originally. In actuality, Motorola scored higher than Harris in technical design and subscriber equipment. The City chose to prioritize the existing relationship with DWC as a positive. A source close to someone who was present when the executive committee (the real decision makers) voted said it was a joke. The County voted for Motorola and the City voted for Harris. CPS reps split the vote with one being pro Motorola and the other being pro Harris. DWC is given free rein to interpret the contract anyway they want without any substantial oversight or accountability. The County tries and tries to hold them and others accountable but they are like tits on a boar hog in the eyes of DWC and the City. But hey, with SAFD choosing Motorola and so many of the other agencies on the system choosing Motorola, maybe just maybe when it comes time to do a subscriber refresh, the County will say enough is enough and deploy a radio that sounds good, performs exceptionally, and has a proven track record of lasting.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
I’m happy that SAFD finally made a decision and chose Motorola. Everyone but SAPD (and then really just an ignorant few) and ITSD wanted Motorola originally. In actuality, Motorola scored higher than Harris in technical design and subscriber equipment. The City chose to prioritize the existing relationship with DWC as a positive. A source close to someone who was present when the executive committee (the real decision makers) voted said it was a joke. The County voted for Motorola and the City voted for Harris. CPS reps split the vote with one being pro Motorola and the other being pro Harris. DWC is given free rein to interpret the contract anyway they want without any substantial oversight or accountability. The County tries and tries to hold them and others accountable but they are like tits on a boar hog in the eyes of DWC and the City. But hey, with SAFD choosing Motorola and so many of the other agencies on the system choosing Motorola, maybe just maybe when it comes time to do a subscriber refresh, the County will say enough is enough and deploy a radio that sounds good, performs exceptionally, and has a proven track record of lasting.

I know in the past some Harris radios were junk and some were solid. I dont know much about the new XL series. Ive seen several agencies across the nation deploy them in their fleets. When I worked in Maine, we had nothing but Harris equipment. The new state VHF P25 trunking system is Harris and per some deal in the contract, nothing but Harris units can be on the system. Maine SP is still currently using XG 100p and M. Other state agencies use XG 100M and P5400.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I know in the past some Harris radios were junk and some were solid. I dont know much about the new XL series. Ive seen several agencies across the nation deploy them in their fleets. When I worked in Maine, we had nothing but Harris equipment. The new state VHF P25 trunking system is Harris and per some deal in the contract, nothing but Harris units can be on the system. Maine SP is still currently using XG 100p and M. Other state agencies use XG 100M and P5400.
Every company has good and bad products…some just have more bad than others.

johnchas

FADEC
Premium Subscriber
Very true. Ive seen some crap M radios. Wondering about the XL series and how they hold up. I know the XG 100p was hit and miss depending on who you talk to.
After a year of use the XL200M has been a good solid radio with some big improvements over the M7300. One problem is the XL200M connected directly to the battery and turned OFF will drain the vehicle battery if the vehicle is not started every few days. For vehicles with multiple batteries this has not been a big problem however for single battery emergency vehicles it requires the radio to be wired to the ignition so the radio is only available when the vehicle ignition is ON. Reliable sources indicate Harris is working on a software patch to remedy this known problem.
Very true. Ive seen some crap M radios. Wondering about the XL series and how they hold up. I know the XG 100p was hit and miss depending on who you talk to.
After a year of use the XL200M has been a good solid radio with some big improvements over the M7300 and older Orion. One problem that stands out is the XL200M connected directly to the battery and turned OFF will drain the vehicle battery if the vehicle is not started every few days. For vehicles with multiple batteries this has not been a big problem however for single battery emergency vehicles it requires the radio to be wired to the ignition so the radio is only available when the vehicle ignition is ON. Reliable sources indicate Harris is working on a software patch to remedy this known problem.

NC5267

San Antonio Fire Alert TG 38529 is silent. It's not showing encrypted but just silent. They are still responding to calls on all the tac and district channels. I don't know what is going on if anyone has any info.

NC5267

All is back to normal over the weekend. Something about the auto dispatcher being down and all the radios had to be put on selective call from dispatch.

NC5267

I have been monitoring the Topperwein site of the Provoice system for almost an hour. Full signal, but it has been dead the whole time. I have my G5 running next to it, and the AARRS is active. Looks like they are cutting patches.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
I have been monitoring the Topperwein site of the Provoice system for almost an hour. Full signal, but it has been dead the whole time. I have my G5 running next to it, and the AARRS is active. Looks like they are cutting patches.

Not a shocker. From what I understand is the Provoice will be done with here soon. I'm guessing between August to September.

NC5267

August would be almost a year from when city started their transition. I'm sure the emails went out to all agencies using the Provoice system to expedite their switch if they haven't done so. I know Northside ISD was having issues and a Captain had to announce over the air that all officers radios need to have P25 on the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.