Alinco: Alinco DJ-MD5T thinking of getting into DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GROL

I thought I had replied to recent posts, but don't see it now. The radio came with Firmware 1.13c already so that was nice. Adjusting max headphone volume affects it very little. It is still quite loud on the lowest setting of the volume knob and nearly as loud full volume even with the max headphone volume set at 1. Seems this is something they need to address in firmware.

Kaleier1

Kaleier1,

I will not have my radio for 2 days, but I am curious about something regarding the audio on the NOAA channels and FM broadcast. Reading the manual, the radio is capable of 2 audio bandwidths (deviation). 12.5khz and 25khz. If it is not set for 100khz deviation receiving FM broadcast, then the audio will be quite loud and distorted. I would bet the radio is only capable of 25khz deviation when tuned to FM broadcast. I expect FM broadcast receive is an incidental ability and not really designed to receive it correctly. I really couldn't care about FM broadcast receive. However, if when receiving the NOAA broadcasts, if the audio bandwidth is set to 12.5khz it will be louder and possibly distorted if not set to the correct 25khz. Do you have the NOAA channels set for 25khz, or 12.5khz? I wonder if that is making a difference. And 25khz would be correct for most analog operation on repeaters, but unless a person is talking loud or has a hot mic, it may not be too loud or distorted if it is set for 12.5kz.
FM radio works fine, it is just too loud. No way to change the bandwidth as you set what FM broadcast stations you want to hear under the "FM" option. I did change the NOAA stations from 12.5Khz to 25Khz and it did make a small difference. Slightly more quite but not a huge change.

Kaleier1

Adjusting max headphone volume affects it very little. It is still quite loud on the lowest setting of the volume knob and nearly as loud full volume even with the max headphone volume set at 1. Seems this is something they need to address in firmware.
This is exactly what I stated a couple of times and in response to message # 10. There is one setting lower than 1 and that is "Indoor". Probably won't help much but should be better than the setting of 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.