Almost been 30 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3RADIO

Unplug the dongle, put it back in the box or a drawer and smile!

Mine was used for about 10 minutes, updated the firmware, connected to my network, played with a few networking tools, checked to see if the radio had a web interface, lights were on, nobody home, unplugged the dongle and put it back in the box where it will stay until there is something useful to do with it.

If you knew how many things I have purchased that were supposed to do X, Y and Z, both for professional/commercial usage and consumer usage that did not work and/or never worked you would cringe. It is a fact of technology.

The problem is how many man hours does a company invest before they throw in the towel, move on or go bust?

Not saying it is the right way, but this happens all the time. Just look at how many cell phones that had bad firmware the carriers just upgrade unhappy customers to newer model to solve the problem.

When you do not have control of end to end hardware/firmware/software, you better have alternate plans!

My biggest issues is that this scanner has a premium price tag attached to it that is clearly more than the 996xt... its like them selling you a Home Patrol extreme key only for you to get the key and have none of the features work.... if it was the same price as the 996xt you would not hear a peep from me.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
My biggest issues is that this scanner has a premium price tag attached to it that is clearly more than the 996xt... its like them selling you a Home Patrol extreme key only for you to get the key and have none of the features work.... if it was the same price as the 996xt you would not hear a peep from me.

Well, I'd be lying if I said that the added price didn't play a factor into my decision to buy the 436HP instead of the 536HP, so I hear ya there. But in time, the app will materialize. Paul's last post about this makes it clear that the 30 days wait was not for an app to appear, but for the dongle manufacturer to fix their issue so that development on the app could resume by then. We still might be a month or more away from an actual app folks, even if the dongle company comes through with the update. It sounds to me (based also on what Paul said and the wording he used) like they haven't yet, so chances are that they are running a bit behind too. There's really nothing Paul or Uniden can do about that. It is what it is.

I won't speculate on ways Uniden might be able to make up for this by offering a rebate or savings on a future purchase, but it's not unheard of for a company to do that from time to time. Perhaps something like that may happen once this is all over with, with the dongle company footing the bill for whatever is offered. I think that would be fair, but again, I'm just a customer and not in any way affiliated with Uniden.

For now, all we can do is wait. I'm waiting too, for a firmware update that will give me the Analyze feature on my scanner. I could get all upset about not having it and want Uniden to compensate me in some way for that too, but in reality all that complaining wouldn't make the update come out any sooner. So I'll just keep checking it every Saturday when I update my HPDB and eventually Sentinel will give me some good news. :)

-AZ

JamesO

I hear you.

Everyone that purchased a 436HP or 536HP is in the same overall situation. The 536HP users more so due to the additional $100 for the Wifi dongle and App and possibly more for the chassis, mounting etc that was charged/paid? I purchased both so I have something missing for both scanners.

In hindsight Uniden would have been much better off charging $100 for the dongle and App separately when it became available, then there would be much less heartburn about this overall. But this would also be a gamble as Uniden would not have the capital/guaranteed revenue stream from each 536HP sale. If only 10% of the 536 users purchased the WiFi dongle and App, then Uniden would likely loose a lot of money on the project.

As it is, they will not be getting rich doing any of this with the hours and hours for manpower that is needed for software/firmware and development. Like anything, someone planned for X man hours and delivery date, it has now turned out to be X+Y+Z+1+2..... in man hours and delivery date. So someones head is rolling week after week and at some point someone may say enough it enough. Lets hope this does not happen. Would rather wait and have good product that have something kicked over the curb to make management and the lawyers happy! I have seen it too many times, it is not pretty and NOBODY is happy in the end.

There is a lot that needs to be done, but Uniden better get this one right, or they may pay for this in the long run. With more and more systems starting to encrypt, GRE gone, Whislter on the horizon and probably fewer and fewer enthusiasts/hobbiest that even understand radio and/or are interested, who know how profitable and stable this industry really is?

I am hoping for the best, however, it is very dicey at the moment for everyone.

Lets hope Paul, Uniden, the WiFi supplier, Apple and Android all are successful so we can all enjoy some additional features at some point in the "near" future.

LiquidPandora

UNIDEN and a couple of the new Big wigs there have a new Focus

I hear you.

Everyone that purchased a 436HP or 536HP is in the same overall situation. The 536HP users more so due to the additional $100 for the Wifi dongle and App and possibly more for the chassis, mounting etc that was charged/paid? I purchased both so I have something missing for both scanners.

In hindsight Uniden would have been much better off charging $100 for the dongle and App separately when it became available, then there would be much less heartburn about this overall. But this would also be a gamble as Uniden would not have the capital/guaranteed revenue stream from each 536HP sale. If only 10% of the 536 users purchased the WiFi dongle and App, then Uniden would likely loose a lot of money on the project.

As it is, they will not be getting rich doing any of this with the hours and hours for manpower that is needed for software/firmware and development. Like anything, someone planned for X man hours and delivery date, it has now turned out to be X+Y+Z+1+2..... in man hours and delivery date. So someones head is rolling week after week and at some point someone may say enough it enough. Lets hope this does not happen. Would rather wait and have good product that have something kicked over the curb to make management and the lawyers happy! I have seen it too many times, it is not pretty and NOBODY is happy in the end.

There is a lot that needs to be done, but Uniden better get this one right, or they may pay for this in the long run. With more and more systems starting to encrypt, GRE gone, Whislter on the horizon and probably fewer and fewer enthusiasts/hobbiest that even understand radio and/or are interested, who know how profitable and stable this industry really is?

I am hoping for the best, however, it is very dicey at the moment for everyone.

Lets hope Paul, Uniden, the WiFi supplier, Apple and Android all are successful so we can all enjoy some additional features at some point in the "near" future.

It's called Wireless CAMERAS!... and Fazing out there cordless Phones.. There is a Video out there the new new Top Dogs talking about it during the Vegas Yearly Electronics show...:D

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
The best part about all this grief everyone is experiencing is that it has no effect on me!!

Heeheehee.......

Well, I guess I better go back to my Pro-18, you know, the scanner that has ALL the features I paid for :D

'Nite!!!

:D :D

JamesO

It's called Wireless CAMERAS!... and Fazing out there cordless Phones.. There is a Video out there the new new Top Dogs talking about it during the Vegas Yearly Electronics show...:D

Yep, I was quite aware of the Wireless Camera products. Maybe they are selling like hotcakes?? Do not think I have seen them in Costco or BJ's yet??

You would HOPE that Uniden could harness some of the talent from the Wireless Camera group to help with the 536HP wireless and App development.

But like many larger companies the groups are probably half a world apart and do not play well together because the head executives want their big bonus at the end of the year and all they care about is their own sandbox.

Again, wish Uniden great success with the firmware, App and the scanner group. I hope the head honchos from half way around the world do not change their mind on the company direction.

I see we have some of the same old trouble makers poking the stick in the fire. Nothing new there.

JoeyC

The best part about all this grief everyone is experiencing is that it has no effect on me!!

Heeheehee.......

Well, I guess I better go back to my Pro-18, you know, the scanner that has ALL the features I paid for :D

'Nite!!!

And may you R.I.P. Thank GOD!

bberns22

Heeheehee.......

'Nite!!!

Thanks for finally admitting that you are in this for the game and not for providing any real insight on new Uniden scanners. It took you long enough to clearly state your position.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What Siren App........ Oh I must have already forgot about what I paid for and have not received.

Good Luck Soldiers. My motto is "think for the worse and hope for the best one day"

LiquidPandora

Just a Opinion Built on Past Subtle comments.....

So glad I kept my powder dry on getting one of these scanners.

the big reason you don't hear much and it WAS said once or twice in these Forums... is FEAR of the COMPETITION that can get on this sight in this very Forum and Get all kinds of info.. If He gets on here and says Next week.. or no matter what they say And all the others have all the Info they need.. The info I read Specifically Pointed at the xxxxxxxx xxxx Because of New OWNERS and coming out with New Name Branded Equipment.. THIS Has Hurt and They have their HEADS IN THE GROUND... Hoping for Minimum damage

Bottom line is There was a need to not talk in Open Forum or anyplace for that matter the other guy can get info... So they are saying NOTHING and you get to Benefit from that. :roll:

I can Imagine the Panic and Worry that one Manufacture would have Over another Esp right now... For Instance Whistler has Less to lose by taking there TIme now and making sure they don't make any Mistakes.. and get it right Out of the gate... A Significant Opinion....

Last edited:

mharris

I wonder if there are any programmers and or App developers out there that could start from scratch with a 536 and the wifi dongle, or a different wifi dangle, and actually make this happen?

Nothing against Uniden, but maybe there is a individual out there that has more knowledge than Uniden that can get a remote app up and running. We could do a kick start deal and collectively donate to the project.

JamesO

I wonder if there are any programmers and or App developers out there that could start from scratch with a 536 and the wifi dongle, or a different wifi dangle, and actually make this happen?

Nothing against Uniden, but maybe there is a individual out there that has more knowledge than Uniden that can get a remote app up and running. We could do a kick start deal and collectively donate to the project.

The network connection is the real issue. Drivers/control needs to be imbedded into the scanner firmware. If Uniden would offer a 100BT wired dongle, then you could hang anything on the rear of the unit that you wanted to. If Uniden was smart, they would have done this for development purposes anyway, so WiFi dongle issues would have been crystal clear.

The rest would have been basic programming and App development other than the ability to broadcast the audio to the remove handheld device.

wsvjr

I am the first to be understanding to a company, especially when they are having technical issues. However, this has gone on too long for my taste. As of today I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I want to make it clear that I in no way blame UPMan for this but I have paid for a product that I have not received in the advertised time.

LiquidPandora

Daily update and rebate time ????????????????

I am the first to be understanding to a company, especially when they are having technical issues. However, this has gone on too long for my taste. As of today I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I want to make it clear that I in no way blame UPMan for this but I have paid for a product that I have not received in the advertised time.

ABOUT PUBLIC TIME!... - Not that it will do all that much good... But I think that a LOT of Foulks should have done this a long time ago... AT A MINIMUM and I could care less about there worries of Competition finding out something.. they should have been giving Weekly FULL UPDATES not this Lame Blame Game they are currently doing.. and then OH YES WE ARE GOING OUT OF TOWN AGAIN THIS WEEKEND TO PLAY!.. The BOSS has to do it because he simply can't teach them In Place how to set it up :roll: and if we get really Mad.. Thinking Of UPMans very funny Note yesterday a bout how they never Delete anything.. Maybe.. but what they

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Where to start... Everyone that has bought these scanners KNEW there were features missing... And now you all ***** and whine like a bunch of children. **** happens. Get over your selves. The app and other feature upgrades will come when unbidden is good and ready to release them. *****ing and whining is NOT going to get them here any sooner.

Like dealing with hams that complain nobody will buy their radio listed for 90% of cost for their 10yr old portable, but will only offer someone else $0.50/1.00 for the same radio. Give it up. The APP and features will arrive when they arrive. For **** sakes these threads are ember assign to the hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.