Almost been 30 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I am the first to be understanding to a company, especially when they are having technical issues. However, this has gone on too long for my taste. As of today I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I want to make it clear that I in no way blame UPMan for this but I have paid for a product that I have not received in the advertised time.

Really???? Maybe you should have waited to buy the scanner when the app and additional features were released.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JamesO

I think the general problem is Uniden Over Promised and has Under Delivered. More so for the 536HP owners, but there are some things also missing for the 436HP as well.

I mean, come on, remove the Siren App delivery info from the Uniden Web page, anyone that does not understand the history and what is going on is getting false and inaccurate info directly from Uniden. At least if this Q12014 reference was removed from the web page, then we can at least see some sincerity coming from Uniden.

If the focus would have been Under Promise, Over Deliver, far less issues and angst.

I kind of think most current x36HP owners would be happy with updated firmware that corrects bugs, adds a few features/improvements and added the Analyze feature in the short term. At least we would feel that something has been accomplished and we were not abandoned step children.

There would still be a number of 536HP owners anxious and waiting on the Siren App but some progress would have been at least something for the current x36HP owners.

I am patiently waiting, not expecting miracles, but would at least like some sincerity and reassurance that SOMETHING is going on. Before long we will be waiting while the firmware developer goes on Vacation in June and we will not see anything until August or September as far as firmware.

mrkelso

What could possibly come out of a complaint with the BBB? We were all told the status of the app and what was being done about it. Can going to the BBB make thing move any faster?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I think the general problem is Uniden Over Promised and has Under Delivered. More so for the 536HP owners, but there are some things also missing for the 436HP as well.

I mean, come on, remove the Siren App delivery info from the Uniden Web page, anyone that does not understand the history and what is going on is getting false and inaccurate info directly from Uniden. At least if this Q12014 reference was removed from the web page, then we can at least see some sincerity coming from Uniden.

If the focus would have been Under Promise, Over Deliver, far less issues and angst.

I kind of think most current x36HP owners would be happy with updated firmware that corrects bugs, adds a few features/improvements and added the Analyze feature in the short term. At least we would feel that something has been accomplished and we were not abandoned step children.

There would still be a number of 536HP owners anxious and waiting on the Siren App but some progress would have been at least something for the current x36HP owners.

Maybe its a typo perhaps Q1 2041

xrorx

Premium Subscriber
Not a lot of goodwill coming from Uniden these days. Don't they realize this hurts them in the long run. At least I like my 436 but to pay $500 and not have a product as advertise, shame. We deserve at the very least an official statement from Uniden. They probably know these are the last scanners we are going to buy any ways,with encryption on the horizon.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I wish this forum had a "like" button.

Where to start... Everyone that has bought these scanners KNEW there were features missing... And now you all ***** and whine like a bunch of children. **** happens. Get over your selves. The app and other feature upgrades will come when unbidden is good and ready to release them. *****ing and whining is NOT going to get them here any sooner.

Like dealing with hams that complain nobody will buy their radio listed for 90% of cost for their 10yr old portable, but will only offer someone else $0.50/1.00 for the same radio. Give it up. The APP and features will arrive when they arrive. For **** sakes these threads are ember assign to the hobby.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I wish this forum had a "like" button.

It is embarrassing to read these threads bashing Uniden, and complaining that the radios people WILLINGLY dropped 6 large with features missing now wanting these features yesterday is annoying. Welcome to life, Murphy usually is hiding close by.

For those people that bought the new unidens that are acting like whiny little school girls that the siren app and analyze features are missing:

Do everyone a favour and just sell your scanner. This way you have no reason to ***** and moan any more, and the rest of us do not need to see whiny threads anymore

rocksteady

I'm glad I have more important things in my life to worry about than some app not working correctly. My Uniden works for what I want a scanner to do. All the bells and whistles I can wait for.

Sent from my tricked out Droid4!

bberns22

Where to start... Everyone that has bought these scanners KNEW there were features missing... And now you all ***** and whine like a bunch of children. **** happens. Get over your selves. The app and other feature upgrades will come when unbidden is good and ready to release them. *****ing and whining is NOT going to get them here any sooner.

Like dealing with hams that complain nobody will buy their radio listed for 90% of cost for their 10yr old portable, but will only offer someone else $0.50/1.00 for the same radio. Give it up. The APP and features will arrive when they arrive. For **** sakes these threads are ember assign to the hobby.

You are correct, however, the nature and ferocity, from a few, goes beyond child like behavior, it feels more akin to road rage syndrome. Too many getting too little out of life and having to latch onto minor nuisance 's to release their anger. All this over some delayed apps from a scanner manufacturer. God I feel sorry for people.

bama9999

Totally agree with this. It seems this should be doable, and would help out those feeling less than happy, while waiting for the app.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Totally agree with this. It seems this should be doable, and would help out those feeling less than happy, while waiting for the app.

There are only so many engineers. Do you want the development team to work on the app, or shelve (and delay) the app to get out a firmware bump to appease the (vocal) minority?

JamesO

There are only so many engineers. Do you want the development team to work on the app, or shelve (and delay) the app to get out a firmware bump to appease the (vocal) minority?

I think it is a matter of triage and priorities.

The Analyze feature affects/limits ALL 436HP & 5336HP owners, not some vocal minority. This actually was an advertized feature that should have been delivered when the scanners were released. The Analyze feature actually offers something that the scanners currently do not do.

The Siren App for the most part is a wireless remote. It in theory does not add additional features or capabilities to the scanner, it just replicates or physically extends the control of the scanner.

So at the end of the day, BOTH 436HP and 536HP owners/users are coming up short.

I am not whining about not having the features, I am commenting ("whining") about how Uniden is dealing or not dealing with the issue. I mean for gods sake, take the information off their web site about the Siren App availability date. It has come and gone and is not accurate. Uniden cannot accurately state when the App will be available, so it is false advertising and misleading to potential new 536HP purchasers. What Uniden can and should indicated that there is a Siren App in development and will be available in the future for 536HP purchasers. This is a bit more factual and accurate.

Uniden knows the numbers of scanners sold, so they should have an idea as to the volume of 436HP vs 536HP out in the market. They need to sit down and prioritize things and decide what their priorities are. If I was just a 436HP owner and the Siren App was released before the Analyze feature, I would not be too happy. If I was a 536HP owner and the Siren App was released, this would be great, but if I really want and/or need the Analyze feature, as a 536HP owner, I would not be too happy. Overall I think Uniden should be focused on the Analyze feature as it is missing from ALL x36HP products.

I do not think most people that purchased these scanners are generally unhappy with their overall performance or capability. Matter of fact, I believe these are the only currently available scanners that can monitor P25 Phase 2 systems short of purchasing a vendors specific radio and programming it for the network. The Master Database, Phase 2 capability, overall RF performance, large display and recording capability are all great features that for the most part work as advertised and are not necessarily available in most other available products. So not sure too many people that purchased these scanners are complaining about what they current can do.

Again, I believe it is the general way this entire issue is being handled by Uniden wxhat is making many x36HP generally disappointed or unhappy.

Contacting the BBB will not speed up things, but it will document the complaint that someone made, may even have Uniden's response and may give someone doing research and idea that may be going on if they were not already aware before or after purchasing said product.

Would I waste my time contacting the BBB, no, but it is a free country and others may feel this is the direction they prefer to take.

I make my point known here on the forum and to others I talk to that scan as a hobby or require a scanner for business purposes.

Does this make me a PITA, probably. Do others agree with me, probably not. But some of my comments are to also get xHP36 owners to think about their wants and needs as well as maybe Uniden if they happen to stop in and read my comments and position.

Am I bashing Uniden, I do not think so, I feel I am pointing out some very obvious issues that they may or may not have considered.

I have no current plans to sell either of my x36HP products. I use them every day. My 536HP has been on 24 hours a day since it showed up on my doorstep. I take my 436HP with me at lest 3-4 times a week. In general the x36HP is pretty good performing scanner platform. Not much negative to say about them so far. But there are some things that Uniden needs to work on and deliver, hopefully sometime the year these features were advertised.

I do not see this as a Rant, some may, I do not think so.

I see this is my point of view and would think a number of others may share my point of view. Can Uniden do a better job dealing with all of these issues, I think so. Does Uniden have unlimited resources, no, they have a finite group of developers and can only work so many hours a day.

Probably only Uniden knows if they have put their priorities in line, decided what are key things to focus on and know if they are fully aware of what the end users/purchasers expect.

Time will tell, lets hope for everyone the time is short.

LiquidPandora

I think it is a matter of triage and priorities.

The Analyze feature affects/limits ALL 436HP & 5336HP owners, not some vocal minority. This actually was an advertized feature that should have been delivered when the scanners were released. The Analyze feature actually offers something that the scanners currently do not do.

The Siren App for the most part is a wireless remote. It in theory does not add additional features or capabilities to the scanner, it just replicates or physically extends the control of the scanner.

So at the end of the day, BOTH 436HP and 536HP owners/users are coming up short.

I am not whining about not having the features, I am commenting ("whining") about how Uniden is dealing or not dealing with the issue. I mean for gods sake, take the information off their web site about the Siren App availability date. It has come and gone and is not accurate. Uniden cannot accurately state when the App will be available, so it is false advertising and misleading to potential new 536HP purchasers. What Uniden can and should indicated that there is a Siren App in development and will be available in the future for 536HP purchasers. This is a bit more factual and accurate.

Uniden knows the numbers of scanners sold, so they should have an idea as to the volume of 436HP vs 536HP out in the market. They need to sit down and prioritize things and decide what their priorities are. If I was just a 436HP owner and the Siren App was released before the Analyze feature, I would not be too happy. If I was a 536HP owner and the Siren App was released, this would be great, but if I really want and/or need the Analyze feature, as a 536HP owner, I would not be too happy. Overall I think Uniden should be focused on the Analyze feature as it is missing from ALL x36HP products.

I do not think most people that purchased these scanners are generally unhappy with their overall performance or capability. Matter of fact, I believe these are the only currently available scanners that can monitor P25 Phase 2 systems short of purchasing a vendors specific radio and programming it for the network. The Master Database, Phase 2 capability, overall RF performance, large display and recording capability are all great features that for the most part work as advertised and are not necessarily available in most other available products. So not sure too many people that purchased these scanners are complaining about what they current can do.

Again, I believe it is the general way this entire issue is being handled by Uniden wxhat is making many x36HP generally disappointed or unhappy.

Contacting the BBB will not speed up things, but it will document the complaint that someone made, may even have Uniden's response and may give someone doing research and idea that may be going on if they were not already aware before or after purchasing said product.

Would I waste my time contacting the BBB, no, but it is a free country and others may feel this is the direction they prefer to take.

I make my point known here on the forum and to others I talk to that scan as a hobby or require a scanner for business purposes.

Does this make me a PITA, probably. Do others agree with me, probably not. But some of my comments are to also get xHP36 owners to think about their wants and needs as well as maybe Uniden if they happen to stop in and read my comments and position.

Am I bashing Uniden, I do not think so, I feel I am pointing out some very obvious issues that they may or may not have considered.

I have no current plans to sell either of my x36HP products. I use them every day. My 536HP has been on 24 hours a day since it showed up on my doorstep. I take my 436HP with me at lest 3-4 times a week. In general the x36HP is pretty good performing scanner platform. Not much negative to say about them so far. But there are some things that Uniden needs to work on and deliver, hopefully sometime the year these features were advertised.

I do not see this as a Rant, some may, I do not think so.

I see this is my point of view and would think a number of others may share my point of view. Can Uniden do a better job dealing with all of these issues, I think so. Does Uniden have unlimited resources, no, they have a finite group of developers and can only work so many hours a day.

Probably only Uniden knows if they have put their priorities in line, decided what are key things to focus on and know if they are fully aware of what the end users/purchasers expect.

Time will tell, lets hope for everyone the time is short.

What I Tried to say today but did not have the Patience to do it in such a Creative manner

What I am sick and tired of hearing is WELL ANOTHER FUN WEEKEND OUT IN SOME CITY PLAYING! Under the Disguise of Having to setup the Booth Tent.. since There is only one Trainable person there... I don't want to hear about how you are out PLAYING and using Poor Training as a out of town excuse.. I want the Features Advertised...:confused: :roll: :mad:

LiquidPandora

Over All My 536 Rocks.....

It's Missing VERY IMPORTANT Advertised Toy Addon's... Makes me mad..
SICK OF WAITING.

MR UPMan.... There is something STRANGE About the Squelch.. it's Not working right... THe Volume is STRANGE ALSO... Don't you think it would be more Usful if the Volume was left where it was at the time it was Turned Off Properly.. and only Set to Zero or what ever it is at POwerup Now.. it's to low for me to hear.

I have Noticed that if I do anything to my Flavorite Lists... That when I go to scan Things just don't seem right.... It's as if the 536 Has a Hang over and it takes a bit for it to get it's crap together after a Force Reload maybe?.. it's STRANGE WHat ever the hell it is.There was some very strange thing going on with my 536.. WHen ever they would Tone out the Local Volitier Fire department... Not only would The Local Hospital get into the act... but the WEATHER ALERT Station would Turn on and start Brocasting what it was getting all at the same time.... the only way I have been able to get the Tone out to work right is to Remove the CCSC or what ever it's called... the Auto Squelch crap Out and now when they tone out all is well... STRANGE becasue My Weather Alert would Come on.. NO TOne just the Report, And it would be trying to Display it all I think... I know it's some kind of issue with the HSP, Fire, and Local PD and there Squelch FQ's....

XTS3000

Logitech got sued (class action) for advertising and not delivering features.

In a nutshell:
The Settlement Class Representative has asserted that Logitech made false and misleading statements in the marketing, advertising, and sale of the Logitech H1000 by purportedly informing consumers that the H1000 has Z-Wave functionality. Z-Wave means a feature that controls lighting and other home electronics through radio frequency (RF) communication as opposed to infrared (IR) communication which can control lighting and other home electronics through infrared communication and works on a line of sight basis.

http://archive.slickdeals.net/f/163...0-class-action-lawsuit-get-a-harmony-890-free

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Uniden knows the numbers of scanners sold, so they should have an idea as to the volume of 436HP vs 536HP out in the market. They need to sit down and prioritize things and decide what their priorities are.
My guess is that Uniden, like any good corporation, has done exactly that. And, I further surmise that that analysis has shown that Uniden, as a corporation, has sold fewer BCDx36HP scanners than many other offerings in their broad line of electronics products. As a result, Uniden's limited resources (in just about every corporation, resources are limited) are being focused on those other products and not the BCDx36HP scanners.

These are my assumptions which are not based on documentable facts.

Radio scanners are, almost by definition, a niche product. The market, in spite of the postings in forums such as these, is pretty small. As a result, scanner owners really shouldn't take themselves so seriously.

JamesO

Radio scanners are, almost by definition, a niche product. The market, in spite of the postings in forums such as these, is pretty small. As a result, scanner owners really shouldn't take themselves so seriously.

NIche product or market, it is not like people have not spent a significant amount of money for these products. If these were sub $50 products then I think there would be much less of an expectation for both the hardware and company performance. I also think if there were other real options owners might have made different choices or would have at least had some choices.

Additionally it is becoming clear that some of these firmware "bugs" have been carried over and not addresses for quite some time on a number of previously released scanners so I think some owners are a bit frustrated that their comments about features that do not quite work 100% have a bit of a souring taste in their mouth by now.

But to say scanner owners should take themselves so seriously??? Not sure I can agree with this statement.

I have for many years dealt with vendors from the commercial side and I have kept the pressure on and called out vendors when they deserved it. In many cases the company I worked for was the #2 or #3 purchaser in volume so I did have some traction.

Here it is a bit more difficult due to the "distributed" nature of the purchases.

Unfortunately even when UPMan "needs ammunition" to get things done within an organization then this means somewhere internally there are some pretty serious issues.

So part of my comments and motivation was to provide "ammunition" hopefully in a factual and constructive way.

I fully understand that there are probably 1 or 2 poor guys at Uniden working their tails off on firmware for these scanners and they probably have some other project that "management" may consider a higher priority so there may be some level of angst even internally as to what the priorities may be. The last thing at the end of the day you want is your firmware and development folks to be pulled in many directions and not be able to even get close to finishing a task. This can and will frustrate the technical staff to the point of walking out the door. I have been there, seen it and been left to clean up the mess.

I am not point a finger or blaming Paul/UPMan here. He is kind of just the messenger. He does not have to be here, but he can be and is an important part of the process, but he also has a "real" job as far as management is concerned.

Only those on the inside really know what is going on and how good or bad things are.

But I do not think scanner owners that have spent their money should be discounted and disregarded and I do not think because this is a "niche" or "small" market that the vendor should get a pass on things. The vendor decided it was a good business decision to offer this product line so hopefully they are committed to both the customers and product.

It appears that the forum members can and do affect change. Just look at the Headphone issue for the 536HP, but more importantly look at the basic packing issue the Service Department had. I had sent a scanner in for repair long before the Headphone issues were on the radar. My return was tossed in a box with wadded up brown paper. Luckily my returned scanner did not have any damage, but it appears that the service department had been shipping out repairs like this for years!

Through the forum and giving Paul/UPMan "ammunition" it appears this issue was changed/improved, but when a common item needs outside pressure to change, it says volumes as to what is going on. Unfortunately things link the headphone issue and shipping issue were diversions on Paul's time. But this is just one instance where if UPMan/Paul did not personally get involved, I think things would have been very different.

As most of use patiently wait for updated firmware and maybe even replacement WiFi dongles, the best any of can do is either sit quietly and go about other more important business, or voice our concern, hopefully in a constructive manner.

I will come and go on this forum and many others that I frequent. My schedule is up and down and I will be getting busy in the next few weeks, so others will need to carry the torch forward for a while.

Long live the Uniden Scanner group, UPMan/Paul and the x36HP product line. But lets also not forget about the HP1, x996 products as well. I believe there is some unfinished business with these products as well.

VE3RADIO

It is embarrassing to read these threads bashing Uniden, and complaining that the radios people WILLINGLY dropped 6 large with features missing now wanting these features yesterday is annoying. Welcome to life, Murphy usually is hiding close by.

For those people that bought the new unidens that are acting like whiny little school girls that the siren app and analyze features are missing:

Do everyone a favour and just sell your scanner. This way you have no reason to ***** and moan any more, and the rest of us do not need to see whiny threads anymore

You sir are just the type of guy i would expect lives in Northern Alberta "wurken in tha patch"... your comments are arrogant and quite frankly annoying. You accuse people of being childish but then use explatives and CAPS to attempt to make your point. You know what they say about people who curse? ... they say they are not intelligent enough to communicate with normal language.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Since the thread seems to have taken a turn for the worst and doesn't seem to serve a constructive purpose, I'm locking it.

We can wait for UPMan to officially comment on the firmware/app status.

Status
Not open for further replies.