Alpha tag naming

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I see there has been a lot of update activity lately. Who decides what alpha tags are given to various DB entries??

I do a lot of renaming / abbreviation when I program my radios, and I do try to be fairly consistent in naming convention so that if I loaned a radio to an inexperienced user they'd kinda know who's who when listening.

Do any of y'all just use what is in the DB / library or do y'all edit tags for checking commonality & brevity??

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I sometimes edit, sometimes leave it. I'm not sure who decides other than the db admin who is making the change or adding the entry. I think sometimes there are known "official" alpha tags (like what they actually use on the system, for example) but not always.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Interesting - didn't realize that guide was publicly viewable. But I do notice that some names are longer than the display area so I often rename them myself after importing into the software, so that I can easily glance and see what something is. Of course, what short name is used is user preference so at least we have the ability to change them on our own units to fit what we want.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I always do my own customization and change the tags when programming, especially when its so much easier in Sentinel. Just makes reading at a glance easier on the old eyes.

wbswetnam

I hate TAGS IN ALL CAPS, so I usually edit them into something which makes more sense to me and is more 'pleasing to the eye'.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I hate TAGS IN ALL CAPS, so I usually edit them into something which makes more sense to me and is more 'pleasing to the eye'.
Lol I try to always put my tags as they are in actual radios. And yes all caps is how it's done. Also with my eyes it's easier to read. Wish scanner had voice announcement like radios do.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
When the AWIN TRS was planned and implemented, state officials came to Michigan to study our radio system. They decided to follow a statewide template similar to ours, where the county number in alphabetical sequence are always the first two characters in the display field on the radio. This lets the user know who's talkgroup it is based on it's county number.

73's

Ron

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
When the AWIN TRS was planned and implemented, state officials came to Michigan to study our radio system. They decided to follow a statewide template similar to ours, where the county number in alphabetical sequence are always the first two characters in the display field on the radio. This lets the user know who's talkgroup it is based on it's county number.

73's

Ron

Those are only listed with County talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.