Amplifier with 0db splitter. Long run

Flywithnelson

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys. Yesterday I installed a Yagi antenna and it all went great. I installed an inline amplifier and what a difference. I was able to pick up a UHF site I’ve been trying to get. The quality is 5x5. I do have a 10 port powered -/+ 0 dbi splitter. I want to avoid using a regular coax splitter which would result in some losses. Would there be any issue with this set up?

bharvey2

nothing you've described suggests any type of a safety issue. However, depending upon the amp/splitter and coax used they could pose a problem with regard to noise and signal loss at higher frequencies. If the UHF system you're listening to is your only goal, then I'd say "mission accomplished". No reason to concern yourself with bands or systems that you have no desire to monitor. If, on the other hand you choose to monitor another system on another band, then perhaps your existing setup might need some updates. Enjoy what you have if it suits your needs.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Yes - you will want to use a passive splitter.
The powered splitter has an amplifier along with your additional inline amplifier. You want to avoid this this setup as it can degrade the noise floor. The purpose of an amplifier is to improve signal to noise ratio. Cascading amps can reduce that s/n ratio.

Either remove the additional inline amplifier or remove the splitter. or just use passive amplifier.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
What’s the gain of the inline amplifier? You don t want too much gain in the system and your existing amp may have plenty of gain to make up for splitter loss without using an amplified splitter. I would consider about 2dB of gain per splitter port a goal in an amplifier splitter system, more is really not necessary and less than unity gain will start to degrade reception, not counting for amplifier noise figure and amplifier location.

A good two way splitter has about 3.5dB loss per port, a four way about 6.5dB and an eight way about 9.5dB. If you know your amplifier gain you can calculate the overall system gain or loss depending on the splitter used. If the amplifier is placed at the antenna you will be ahead of the game making up for feedline loss and you can look up the loss of your coax and add that in.

There are potential problems using an amplifier or amplified splitter from high level signals overloading the amplifier and you can assess that after it’s all put together. You might need to filter out local strong FM, TV or cell phone signals to keep the amplifier happy.

bharvey2

Haven't heard anything back from the OP. Although he mentioned in his post that he used a 0db powered splitter. I've used these few times and are tuned to bring the splitter output back to the "pre-splitter" level of the incoming signal. The ones I've used have been pretty accurate (to within a dB or two) I'm assuming he was describing a larger version of this but I may be wrong:

Flywithnelson

Premium Subscriber
Hey following up here. Its been working great so far. I tried using a standard splitter and the 9dB loss was too much. I switched back to my 8port 0db splitter and it worked wonders. The inline Is adjustable and I have it on the lowest setting which I think is a 12dB gain and its been working great.