Multi-Coupler / Splitter Opinions

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I’ve got a Diamond dual band antenna on my roof feeding three scanners for broadcastify feeds. I’m using this signal splitter / amplifier. I know the Stridsberg is probably the best for this setup. My question is, do you think the one I’m using is hurting my signals? Would the Stridsberg be a worthy upgrade? The unit I’m using is mostly used in cable tv applications. Hesitant to spend the money on the Stridsberg if it’s a similar device to what I have. Thanks in advance.

IMG_4664.jpeg

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I sometimes use one of those, but the 1 port model. They do bring in more noise but scanning local stuff, it works ok. Distant stuff has a little trouble because of the noise.

I use an EDA 2800 without issue to feed dongles and scanners.

s-l1600.jpg

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I've used the EDA UG 2802 and 2402 versions of the Electroline multicoupler for years with very good results. Those provide unity gain to the outputs. I've never had an issue with them. I use a Stridsberg 4 port and 8 port as well.

Ubbe

My question is, do you think the one I’m using is hurting my signals? Would the Stridsberg be a worthy upgrade?

I took a look at its specs and seems to be OK. Less than 3dB noise, where a Stridsberg are specified at less than 3,5dB, big signal handling acceptable. So this will work as good as a Stridsberg. If you are OK with 75 ohm and 8dB gain and F connectors then its fine. Many receivers can't take that 8dB gain without getting into trouble so I would get a variable 0-20dB attenuator and check what signal each receiver needs to have to get the best signal/noise ratio and then install fixed attenuators to each output of the splitter. Being F connectors the inline 3-6-9dB attenuators doesn't cost much.

/Ubbe

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
s-l1600.jpg
I use 3 of the above, they are 0 loss and no forward gain so they do not overload the scanners

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
I took a look at its specs and seems to be OK. Less than 3dB noise, where a Stridsberg are specified at less than 3,5dB, big signal handling acceptable. So this will work as good as a Stridsberg. If you are OK with 75 ohm and 8dB gain and F connectors then its fine. Many receivers can't take that 8dB gain without getting into trouble so I would get a variable 0-20dB attenuator and check what signal each receiver needs to have to get the best signal/noise ratio and then install fixed attenuators to each output of the splitter. Being F connectors the inline 3-6-9dB attenuators doesn't cost much.

/Ubbe
Thanks for the info. I’ve been using this setup for. While now and scanners seem to be preforming ok, how will I know if they are overloaded? Thanks

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I’ve got a Diamond dual band antenna on my roof feeding three scanners for broadcastify feeds. I’m using this signal splitter / amplifier. I know the Stridsberg is probably the best for this setup. My question is, do you think the one I’m using is hurting my signals? Would the Stridsberg be a worthy upgrade? The unit I’m using is mostly used in cable tv applications. Hesitant to spend the money on the Stridsberg if it’s a similar device to what I have. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 155277
What kind of braided cables are being used for your outputs to the scanners?

Ubbe

how will I know if they are overloaded?
When a receiver starts to get overloaded it increases its noise. When you improve the signal strength the noise gets higher, so the easiest method would be to use a variable attenuator and adjust that for the cleanest signal with as low noise as possible. If the lowest noise are at 0dB attenuation then you can probably even increase the signal level some more. Some scanners like an old dependable Pro2006 can take a huge amount of signal without overload, as most professional 2-way radios, even the cheap ones.

Without a variable attenuator you can get a 3dB or 6dB fixed one and listen if the audio noise are reduced. If you have a digital signal you can check the bit errors with Unidens top of the line scanners to get the lowest error as possible when monitoring a weak signal. If everything you monitor are strong signals then it doesn't matter but if the overload gets really heavy it will create intermodulation in the receiver so you will hear transmissions on frequencies where they do not transmit and will often also be a mix of several transmissions heard as one.

/Ubbe