Antenna options sds100

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

Silent Key W3BUX
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
6,929
Reaction score
8,202
Location
Bucks County, PA
Hi. Does anyone have this antenna and does it rattle inside it? And what does regular gain for the watson bnc801 mean?

Yes I have this antenna and there has been at least one other thread that someone complained of a rattle, there's a slight dot on the side of the antenna, might have something to do with plastic on the other side of that dot that fell into the coil. Who knows.
 

firebell9137

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Messages
781
Reaction score
92
Yes I have this antenna and there has been at least one other thread that someone complained of a rattle, there's a slight dot on the side of the antenna, might have something to do with plastic on the other side of that dot that fell into the coil. Who knows.
Weird. Ok. Mine has no dot
 

n1chu

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 18, 2002
Messages
3,187
Reaction score
993
Location
Farmington, Connecticut
I have one and it does not rattle. Gain can be measured in a couple of different ways. It’s probably the best tri-band antenna available for the SDS100. But any handheld multi-band antenna is a compromise. If you find one band you most frequent, get an antenna for that band. And hopefully the other bands you less importance on have signal strengths that don’t require a multi-band antenna. I run the Remtronix 800MHz single band antenna on my SDS100 and still hear the VHF & UHF agencies in my area just fine, even though the antenna isn’t designed of those bands. And that’s because I am close. A lot of people want to hear a particular agency outside of their coverage area, let’s say you want to hear the police department for the town next to your town. And while it’s possible, even very probable, when you aren’t within their coverage area, an area they aren’t concerned with, I’m thankful if I hear them but don’t get too upset if I don’t. If theres really a need to hear agencies on the Fringe, an outside antenna up as high as reasonably possible should be used. That opens up other concerns such as type of coax, lightning protection, etc.
 

trentbob

Silent Key W3BUX
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
6,929
Reaction score
8,202
Location
Bucks County, PA
Weird. Ok. Mine has no dot
Neither does mine, and I have no rattle but it might have something to do with the manufacturing of the antenna and the point where the, how do I say this but.. the rubber meets the road. Part of manufacturing or something, again, you're not the first to mention this.

I don't use the broomstick anymore, top heavy, clumsy, gets In the way of itself and don't want to get stuck in the ribs anymore, as said, any wide band antenna is going to be a compromise, performance on 7-800 MHz is not that great but with a strong system, it doesn't matter.

I have settled on a very good wide band antenna for the 100.

Hope you get used to the rattle, I don't think it affects anything, I've gotten used to the rattle in my head😆😆😆
 

KE2DQP

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
5
I have this antenna in the SMA version. Huge improvements in dBm for VHF and UHF trunked systems. Stock antenna, local PD dispatch (UHF P25) came in at 90dBm. I switched to the 842S antenna and it dropped to 79dBm. Similar improvement for VHF. I can’t comment on 800 because I don’t have that near me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top