Anyone else think the all sub-forum layout sucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_shuffle

Sub-forums most certainly have their place, but this new setup just seems sort of ridiculous to me.

Browsing the forums has lost a lot of it's appeal; too many places to look to see what's going on, and then trying to figure out which sub would be the right one to post your thought or question where it will actually been seen by like-minded folks.

I think that besides putting it back the way it was, a much better layout would be to break it down by scanner model.

SCPD

QRT
NO.
It resemble how the California Forum is set up.
Second I can See what has changed since I last looked at it..... If I remember when I last looked at it or when it notify me through my email.
In this specific Forum I have 4 Taps open. 3 I''m most interested in Monitoring and the 4th is just Uniden and I can See what has changed and check it out.

JoeyC

NO.
Any time a forum gets as crowded as the Uniden forum has gotten, it becomes more difficult to find information you are looking for. It was about time a reorganization occurred.

QDP2012

If we're going to do it this way, don't you think a model specific layout would be much more useful and relevant?

I understand your question. I think Admins are hoping the "Prefix" feature (explained in this thread) will allow the "Advanced Search" feature to more easily limit searches to a specific model.

If that doesn't work as intended, then organizing sub-forums by model might be necessary.
If the prefixes do make the search sufficiently effective, then the current discussion-topic based subforums can be navigated either way.

Last edited:

daveharpe

Yeah, it does suck. It's not that the idea of dividing forums up is inherently bad, it's the way they divided them up in this case. They are not divided in a way that easily lends itself to following things or figuring out where to post something when you have a question.

For instance, let's say I have a 436hp and I'm having difficulties with a quick key setup. Do I post it in bugs, software discussion, performance or tech support? It could be any of those four. If it gets moved then I have to chase it down to figure out which forum the admins thought was appropriate. Or maybe after a bit of group discussion it migrates to being an actual bug. Does the entire discussion thread then move to the "bugs" subforum or does it stay in the original forum? Or let's say I'm interested in following threads about performance issues. I can't just follow the "performance" thread because it could be a bug or a software issue.

That's the problem. The categories for the subforums are not unique enough to contain even the simplest of issues in one forum. So you're always guessing and you end up having to follow a half a dozen different forums.

A more logical layout would be more model-specific as t_shuffle suggested with maybe a couple of others. Something like:
- 436/536/HP
- Sentinel software (maybe make this a subforum of 436/536/HP since it only applies to them)
- Older trunking (396xt, 996xt)
- Older non-trunking (330t, etc.)
- General gripes, rants, feature requests, new user questions (similar to the "tavern")

Much clearer because then you can follow the forums involving your specific scanner/model while segmenting out the stuff that you might not care about...i.e. I could care less about 18x problems but others might and they can follow the older non-trunking forum. The non-pertinent or immediately useful information gets put in the "tavern"-like "General" forum.

n4yek

If we're going to do it this way, don't you think a model specific layout would be much more useful and relevant?

That was my thought also, evertime a new model comes out the forum gets over-run by questions. In a few years it will slow down again.

SCPD

QRT
Yeah, it does suck. ....
A more logical layout would be more model-specific as t_shuffle suggested with maybe a couple of others. Something like:
- 436/536/HP
- Sentinel software (maybe make this a subforum of 436/536/HP since it only applies to them)
- General gripes, rants, feature requests, new user questions (similar to the "tavern")

I agree with this.

mrkelso

It's all very confusing and now we have a lot of threads being moved. I don't like it is my vote.

QDP2012

- 436/536/HP

Much clearer because then you can follow the forums involving your specific scanner/model while segmenting out the stuff that you might not care about...i.e. I could care less about 18x problems but others might and they can follow the older non-trunking forum. The non-pertinent or immediately useful information gets put in the "tavern"-like "General" forum.

With the above suggestion in mind, maybe a combination of it and the current structure should be considered? ...something like:

-- 436/536/HP
---- Sentinel Software
---- Owner Tech Support
---- Prospective Owners
---- Performance and Technical Topics
---- Bug Reports
-- Older Trunking
---- Owner Tech Support
---- Prospective Owners
---- Bug Reports
-- Older Non-Trunking
---- Owner Tech Support
---- Prospective Owners
---- Bug Reports
-- Uniden Future Designs (what I want in next Uniden model)
-- General Uniden Discussion (general topics, but not rants)

Something like this would help organize first by model, and then by topic within each model, making it easier (hopefully) to find items of interest without wading through many items of disinterest.

It would also allow custom "New Post" and "Today" lists/searches to be created for specific models, etc., and/or for things like "all uniden bug reports", etc.

This concept could extend to the GRE/Whistler forum(s) with similar benefits.

Just a thought,

whitetail1

Premium Subscriber
Some of us may not like it (myself included) but I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. It's a big (sudden) change to the Uniden section and once we get used to it, I'm sure our opinions will change.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I see so many posts by those that are "internet challenged" and that I'm sure it just makes it worse.

Of course I see so many posts by those with reading comprehension issues as well as , oh hell with it - just plain STUPID that can't operate a scanner anyway or fail to RTFM.

Personally - I don't like it as it takes a little longer to find the new posts. As stated previously, in a few months it will dwindle and no one will see the info. and no one will ever answer the post.

Last edited:

SquierStrat

Yes! I liked having 1 go-to place for uniden discussion. Now that I have to navigate through 7, I find myself not reading as much. Maybe trim it down from 7 to 3-4... Dave's suggestion above is perfect IMO.

daveharpe

With the above suggestion in mind, maybe a combination of it and the current structure should be considered? ...something like:

I see what you're thinking on this but I think the goal should be to have fewer places not more. The subdivisions you're mentioning would mean each one of those individual subforums would only have maybe one or two posts per day...which is a pain to check for each time. Good thoughts though...

drdiesel1

I've pretty much quit reading the forums because of this change, as I now have to browse 7 different sub groups to read the latest Uniden posts.

So Yes, the new grouping is terrible.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I've pretty much quit reading the forums because of this change, as I now have to browse 7 different sub groups to read the latest Uniden posts.

So Yes, the new grouping is terrible.

Clicking "New Posts" doesn't work? It works here.

Status
Not open for further replies.