APCO 25 Ham Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

kg4icg said:
By the way Dstars is FCC type accepted or HRO wouldn't be selling it.

Interesting assumption, but I wouldn't stake my license on it.

BTW, I don't think the FCC does "type acceptance" any more.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
DStar is a format. FCC does "type accept" formats/protocol's in the format that you would think..

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
Icom IC-ID1 1599.00 1.2 ghz digital transceiver and it uses a open GMSK CELP which is an open protocol.
System
MOS
Modulation scheme
Codec
Raw data rate
SVD?
Error correction

G4GUO
OFDM/PSK
AMBE-1000
no
FEC

Kachina 505RC
FHSS/DSSS
CVSD
yes
iterated coding

D-Star
GMSK
CELP
yes
FEC

Alinco
GMSK
CVSD
no
none

AOR
OFDM/PSK
AMBE-2020
yes
FEC

APCO25
PSK/FSK
IMBE
yes
FEC

Thales
OFDM/PSK/QAM
MPEG-4/HSX/SBR
yes
FEC
bb

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Can you post a link so we can see the formatted listing?

Thanks!

HamSexy007

I have seen, played with and touched the D-STAR equipment. In a real world application, it does anywhere from 50k to 75k data transfer...which places it a little faster than a dial-up modem. The voice quality sounds like a ham-grade radio, only in AMBE digital modulation.

Icom wants about $1k per D-STAR radio, which is a remote mount 10w 1200 MHz unit about the size of all other Icom mobile ham rigs. Only high spot is the control head, which looks like a 3/4 scale GE Orion system head.

I have no idea how much they want for one of the D-STAR repeaters, but I know it's not cheap.

Overall, I wasn't impressed and I'll be sticking to playing with IMBE and my Astro Saber.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've just put up a dualmode Quantar repeater in Edgar, Ontario (near Barrie).

Frequency is 147.285 (+) with a PL of 156.7hz and a NAC of 293.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I was talking with a friend of mine who is a Ham in the Tokyo area, and the D-STAR technology is becoming very popular there. Currently, there are several wide-area repeaters that have been converted over to this new modulation mode on the 430 MHz band. In fact, three of them are linked together from north of Tokyo, in the Saitama-shi area, and down into Yokohama-shi, and another repeater maybe added in the western suburbs around Tachikawa-shi within the next several months. So far the results have been very positive and many more repeaters will likely be upgraded to D-STAR technology across the Kanto and Nara regions in Japan. However, I honestly don't see this technology catching on in the USA for sometime to come, if at all due to the costs involved.

73's

Ron

mancow

Database Admin
N0NDP put up a qantar in KCMO on 147.015

To our knowledge t's the first and only one in the area.

We were actually getting just a little bit better range than analog at one point.

mancow

aka_ramon

There are LOTS of companies that make P25 compliant radios other than Moto. For radios that don't cost the earth (like an XTS5000 does), consider the brand new ICOM P25 compatible digital radios like the F70 (http://www.radcomm.bizland.com/rad-comm/id78.html). Yeah, it costs more than a 396t, but you can TALK on it.

In terms of "type acceptance", I'm not sure that's relevant to this discussion. Assuming I've read the rules correctly, the US FCC allows amateurs to use digital emission types on licensed bands pretty much without restriction, as long as the emission/modulation scheme is publically documented (so that it can be recognized). That's my reading of part 97 anyhow.

So, there's no reason why US hams couldn't use P25 on repeaters. And, as folks have told us on this forum, it IS being done.

DSTAR is interesting, but more from a business than a technical perspective. Buy 9 radios by the end of the month, get a repeater free. This helps propagate a standard, and sell radios, that only one manufacturer supports (at least AFAIK). If the general idea is interoperability and compatibility, this doesn't sound like a great way to go.

R

Last edited:

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Icom is a little late in the game to be presenting a new digital protocol into the ham radio arena, especially if a club/organization was looking for a grant to procure a new repeater. DSTAR is not a recognized standard and wouldn't be acceptable just like Open Sky wouldn't be an acceptable protocol if a government agency was also looking for grant $.

Like others have mentioned earlier, there are plenty of manufacturers that are producing APCO25 radios at prices way below what an XTS5000 costs and plenty on the used e-bay market. The only difficult item, especially with Motorola, is the programming software.

N

N_Jay

KS4VT said:
Icom is a little late in the game to be presenting a new digital protocol into the ham radio arena, especially if a club/organization was looking for a grant to procure a new repeater. DSTAR is not a recognized standard and wouldn't be acceptable just like Open Sky wouldn't be an acceptable protocol if a government agency was also looking for grant $.

You seem to be mixing different issues.

1) D-Star has been out there (but expensive) for a while now.
2) D-Star is a protocol for Ham radios not for government/Public Safety interoperability
3) Government agencies are not going to be using it or applying for grants to buy it.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Not mixing the issue and well aware that governments wouldn't be using DSTAR, it was probably the way I stated it that confused you. There are a lot of amateur clubs attempting to secure grants for replacement equipment and the Fed's would not grant one if it proposed DSTAR instead of APCO25.

N

N_Jay

KS4VT said:
Not mixing the issue and well aware that governments wouldn't be using DSTAR, it was probably the way I stated it that confused you. There are a lot of amateur clubs attempting to secure grants for replacement equipment and the Fed's would not grant one if it proposed DSTAR instead of APCO25.

I had not heard of an Amateur club going after a grant.
I would love to hear is any are successful.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Here are a few grant requests and awards...

http://www.g-c-o.com/para/Grant-Ful...//www.kypost.com/2004/12/13/grants121304.html

http://www.inarrl.org/ircc.html

His ability to discover and take advantage of various grants and donations has provided funds to build a complete Amateur Radio station at his educational facility covering 2 meters, 70 centimeters and HF. Jim has also organized a school Amateur Radio Club, with the call sign KC9EKW (every kid wins).

and
http://www.ectar.org/

What are ECTAR's goals?
Beyond public education and training, through donations and grants, ECTAR plans to complete the goal of establishing an emergency powered amateur radio communications network that would be made available by volunteer amateur operators to local, state, and federal emergency response agencies. To meet this objective, the Monterey County Emergency Communications Amateur Radio Project (MCECARP) was developed by ECTAR and is divided into 3 phases designed to meet the overall project goal.

mam1081

Feed Provider
3 ASTRO repeaters in one area would be cool.

Another one to add to the list:

Midland, TX - K5MSO - 147.220, NAC-293. It was mixed-mode last time I was there, but they were thinking about making it ASTRO-only.

Status
Not open for further replies.