• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX decoding MDC1200

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Ok, I'm not new to radios but am still learning the APX CPS. I had a CDM1550 that would decode MDC1200's and would show an Alias on the display if properly decoded; do the APX series do this, too?

If so, where in the CPS is it?

N1GTL

Database Admin
I'll add that under RADIO ERGONOMICS WIDE > DISPLAY there is a drop-down for PTT ID Display. You have to set that to "Dispatch and Scan" and you will get the 4 digit MDC ID of the transmitting radio.

As Mike mentioned, to alias the ID out to a description, under CALL LIST CONFIGURATION there is a unified call list where you need to add the names to match the ID numbers. It's not one of Motorola's better designs.

I, too, had to figure this out early on. And it wasn’t easy.

1) As N1GTL explained, you must first go to Radio Ergonomics > Display, and scroll down to “ID Display”. Use the dropdown next to the “PTT ID DISPLAY”, and select “Dispatch and Scan”.
2) Going back to the “Codeplug Configuration” tree, scroll down to “Conventional Configuration”, and select the “Conventional System” menu.
3) Right-click on the “Conventional System” menu, and select “Add”.
4) Now select the system that was just created, and left-click on it to open it.
5) Under “Conventional System Name”, erase the generic name and call it whatever you want. For this exercise, I’ve called mine “FIRE”.
6) Directly beneath that, locate the “System Type”. Mine is defaulted to “Astro”.
7) Use the dropdown to select “MDC”.
8) Now, go back to the “Codeplug Configuration” tree, and select “Conventional Personality”.
9) Assuming you already have created personalities, click on a personality that you want to assign the MDC system to. In this exercise, I’ve created “SGFD”. If you haven’t yet created a personality, go ahead and create one that will have this MDC system assigned to it.
10) Once you’ve built out the personality (an exercise I won’t go into here), continue scrolling down beyond the frequency inputs and options, and find the “Signaling” sub-menu.
11) Within the “Non-Astro” menu area, locate the “Signaling Type” dropdown menu, and select “MDC”.
12) Directly beneath that, locate the “System Number”. Change that to the system you created in step 5.
13) Going back to the “Codeplug Configuration” tree, scroll down to “Call List Configuration”, and click on “Unified Call List”.
14) Across the top of the screen are symbols. Click the “+” symbol to add a new “Contact Name”. This will create a generic contact; something along the lines of “Contact 00126”, in my case.
15) Highlight the generic contact name, and call it whatever you want. In my case, I’m going to call this contact “Battalion 1”.
16) After you’ve named your contact, click the little arrow to the left of the contact, so that the contact is highlighted blue.
17) Looking back up at your symbols across the top of the screen (where the “+” symbol is), select the blue folder (to the right of the trashcan). This opens additional options.
18) You now have several ID options, as well as the option to rename your contact if you so wish. Technically, you could have skipped step 4, and simply renamed the contact here. I learned that it’s easier to name it first, so that you are ensured that you have the correct contact open in this screen. Keeping the generic name, and renaming it from here, caused me confusion as I entered hundreds of these ID’s.
19) The option you want is “MDC Conventional ID”.
20) Along the “MDC” ribbon, click the “+” symbol.
21) Select the “System Name” from the dropdown menu. (Created in step 5, and assigned in step 12).
22) Under “Primary ID”, enter the MDC ID number
23) At this point, you are done. Your radio will read the ID and, if the ID has been created as per these steps, your screen will display the alias as opposed to the number.

The steps here are the same for Astro ID’s. The differences are:
1) When you build your system in steps 5, 6, and 7, you’ll select “Astro” as the signaling type.
2) When you build your conventional personality in steps 10, 11, and 12, you’ll instead use the “Astro” signaling sub-menu, and change the “Astro System” to whatever you created in steps 5, 6, and 7 (reference 1 above).
3) Then, instead of creating a “MDC” ID in step 19, you’ll create an “Astro Conventional ID” by selecting the Astro system you just created, and changing the “Individual ID” to whatever the correct number is.

See. Clear as mud!

Enjoy. I hope this helps.

Creating a "Hot List".

Once you've built out your ID list using all of the steps above, you can then build a "Hot List", if you so wish.

To do this, go to Codeplug Configuration > Call List Configuration > MDC Conventional Hot List

1) Right-click on "MDC Conventional Hot List", select "Add".
2) This will create a new list, with a generic name.
3) With the list selected (by default, it should be open), give the list a name by erasing the information in the "Hot List Alias" field, and typing out whatever you want.
4) Under "Contact", select a contact you have already created.
5) Under "Call ID", select the MDC ID you have assigned to the contact.

You can have a maximum of 5 MDC ID's assigned to a contact. Looking back up at the steps outlined for creating MDC ID lists, you can repeat steps 20, 21, and 22 to assign up to 5 ID's to an individual.

For example, you might do this for a fire department, where "Engine 1" has ID 1000 for the mobile radio located inside the engine; and ID 1001 for a portable radio; and ID 1002 for a second portable radio; and ID 1003 for a third portable radio....

One final note: you cannot have duplicate contact names within the "Unified Call List". So you cannot have "Dispatch" repeated 10 times for various "Dispatch" consoles. The software will require you to call one, for example, "Dispatch 1", and "Dispatch 2", and so on and so forth. So keep that in mind as you decide how you want to build out your list.

Again, you max out at a total of 5 ID's per MDC contact.

Hope all of this information helps you

mikegilbert

MHz so good
That is hands-down, the best explanation of the unified call list I've ever seen. Thanks for the thorough write up!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You should also make use of Peter Acord's UCL Builder, especially if you have a large list of radios you need to add. It uses a spreadsheet template that makes it very easy to process many radios in bulk.

akardam.net APX UCL Builder R01.03.00

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Thank you everyone for the replies. Once I got going it was very simple to keep adding units. Thank you, again. Merry Christmas!

jimyhatt

MDC raw decode

What about the raw decode MDC data?

I have a new apx 6000 and its missing about half of the raw ID's. Any idea? I feel like I am missing something in CPS.

thanks

I have a new apx 6000 and its missing about half of the raw ID's. Any idea? I feel like I am missing something in CPS.

thanks

I'm assuming you're referring to the radio receiving the ID, and displaying the ID?

I have the same issue, and it's fairly random. While I haven't done any troubleshooting, it appears to be related to the agency's equipment. For example, the Los Angeles County Fire Dept. I receive all ID's on Blue 1 and Blue 3, but maybe 10% of the ID's on Blue 5 and none on Blue 12. Same with LASD.

jimyhatt

thats correct, all the radios are programmed for ids for badge numbers. Its just totally sporadic on if the APX gets the data or not. I think its more radio specific that agency hardware; the xts5000 gets the ID's way more often than the APX.

N1GTL

Database Admin

thanks

Kind of a dead thread but I'll add my two cents....

Many systems have receivers and voters tied into the repeaters. It takes time for all the receivers to get the signal, send to a voter, vote the best, send to the repeater, be received by a radio and decode the MDC. The most common problem I see is the PRE MDC time being too short. That is how long the transmitting radio waits after the PTT is pressed before it sends the MDC burst. I see 500ms common but sometimes that is not enough time and the beginning of the MDC burst is clipped rendering it useless. Try changing the TRANSMITTING radio to 600ms or 650ms and see what happens.

SCPD

QRT
Kind of a dead thread but I'll add my two cents....

Many systems have receivers and voters tied into the repeaters. It takes time for all the receivers to get the signal, send to a voter, vote the best, send to the repeater, be received by a radio and decode the MDC. The most common problem I see is the PRE MDC time being too short. That is how long the transmitting radio waits after the PTT is pressed before it sends the MDC burst. I see 500ms common but sometimes that is not enough time and the beginning of the MDC burst is clipped rendering it useless. Try changing the TRANSMITTING radio to 600ms or 650ms and see what happens.

Common problem I noticed when those using pre mdc they do not adjust settings accordingly in subscribers and in the repeater, consoles, voting systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.