• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX7000 Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9neq

Premium Subscriber
I have a new Motorola APX7000 P25 Multiband portable.

I have the model that has the small top display and no key pad.

The APX7000 has 700/800 digital talkgroups and non digital vhf frequencies programmed in it.

The portable is programmed with zone a (bank) and zone b (bank).

The radio is set up where I can add or remove a channel or talk group in order to create a scan list in a zone (bank).

I can not scan both zone a (bank) and zone b (bank) at the same time.

I would like to create a scan list from zone a and zone b.

For instance, I would like to add a talkgroup or channel from zone a and add it to zone b.

Is this possible for the end user?

RKG

Whether a user can add channels to a scan list, and whether the scan list can include both conventional channels and trunked talkgroups depends on some settings programmed into the radio via CPS. So the question cannot be answered without reading the radio.

kc9neq

Premium Subscriber
The radio has both digital and conventional freqs in zone a, to which I can make a scan list.
The radio has conventional freqs in zone b, to which I can make a scan list.
I wanted to create a scan list of digital and conventional freqs from both zones.
I thought the radio might need to be read and it was probably a programming issue.
Thanks for the reply.

RKG

Grasp a couple of points that someone who is used to consumer-grade scanners will find unusual:

1) Scan lists in Motorola subscriber equipment (such as the APX7000) are not tagged to "zones." Rather each channel is tagged to a "personality;" a "personality" is a collection of parameters that will be invoked when the channel is "selected" by the channel selector knob; and one of the parameters is the scan list that will be used if scan is invoked while that channel is selected.

2) Motorola scan lists come in four general flavors:

a) Limited to talk groups in one trunked system, and allows priority scan;

b) Permits talk groups in two (or more) different trunked systems, but no conventional channels and does not permit priority scan; and

c) Allows trunked talkgroups in one (or more) different trunked systems and one or more conventional channels, but does not permit priority scan; and

d) Allows only conventional channels, priority scan allowed.

Most experienced system designers will advise:

e) If using trunked talkgroups, limit the scan list to first type (single system, no conventionals), with priority scan enabled; and

f) If using conventional channel, limit scan list to conventional channels only (last type), with priority scan enabled.

3) Each scan list enables choices on a number of operating parameters:

a) First Priority (if used, my opinion in working radio should always be "Selected Channel," or else maintaining comms during scan will be difficult);

b) Second Priority (in my opinion, should seldom be used);

c) Allow operator to select non-priority channels (i.e., from the front panel). If enabled, this is invoked by user via the "SCANL" function assigned either to a button or a menu item; the menu item will only show up if the selected channel is tagged to a scan list that allows OpSel.

4) Note that Motorola subscribers, unlike scanners, are quite limited in the size of any given scan list, both for technical and philosophical reasons. A big scan list is problematic in a working radio. The limit in most cases is 15+1 (i.e., 15 designated non-priority channels plus the selected channel).

5) It may also be helpful to understand that how a receiver handles scanning is quite different for conventional channels and trunked talkgroups. To over simplify a bit:

a) For conventional channels, the radio steps sequentially through channels in order, testing each for valid freq and, if valid freq detected, then testing for valid tone and, if valid tone found, then suspending scan and gating audio audio until both (i) valid freq goes away and (ii) scan hang time timer expires.

b) For trunked talkgroups, radio parks on control channel, observing all of the group talkgroup channel grants are issued and comparing each to the TGIDs in the scan list. If valid, radio shifts to assigned voice channel and listens. At a certain point (varies depending on whether type of trunking message format used), radio reverts to control channels and resumes watching OSWs.

6) In order to view scan list formats, personality options selected and tagging, and trunked system message format, one would have to read the radio using CPS, which is why your questions can't readily be answered "in the blind."

davo51

Premium Subscriber
Grasp a couple of points that someone who is used to consumer-grade scanners will find unusual:

1) Scan lists in Motorola subscriber equipment (such as the APX7000) are not tagged to "zones." Rather each channel is tagged to a "personality;" a "personality" is a collection of parameters that will be invoked when the channel is "selected" by the channel selector knob; and one of the parameters is the scan list that will be used if scan is invoked while that channel is selected.

2) Motorola scan lists come in four general flavors:

a) Limited to talk groups in one trunked system, and allows priority scan;

b) Permits talk groups in two (or more) different trunked systems, but no conventional channels and does not permit priority scan; and

c) Allows trunked talkgroups in one (or more) different trunked systems and one or more conventional channels, but does not permit priority scan; and

d) Allows only conventional channels, priority scan allowed.

Most experienced system designers will advise:

e) If using trunked talkgroups, limit the scan list to first type (single system, no conventionals), with priority scan enabled; and

f) If using conventional channel, limit scan list to conventional channels only (last type), with priority scan enabled.

3) Each scan list enables choices on a number of operating parameters:

a) First Priority (if used, my opinion in working radio should always be "Selected Channel," or else maintaining comms during scan will be difficult);

b) Second Priority (in my opinion, should seldom be used);

c) Allow operator to select non-priority channels (i.e., from the front panel). If enabled, this is invoked by user via the "SCANL" function assigned either to a button or a menu item; the menu item will only show up if the selected channel is tagged to a scan list that allows OpSel.

4) Note that Motorola subscribers, unlike scanners, are quite limited in the size of any given scan list, both for technical and philosophical reasons. A big scan list is problematic in a working radio. The limit in most cases is 15+1 (i.e., 15 designated non-priority channels plus the selected channel).

5) It may also be helpful to understand that how a receiver handles scanning is quite different for conventional channels and trunked talkgroups. To over simplify a bit:

a) For conventional channels, the radio steps sequentially through channels in order, testing each for valid freq and, if valid freq detected, then testing for valid tone and, if valid tone found, then suspending scan and gating audio audio until both (i) valid freq goes away and (ii) scan hang time timer expires.

b) For trunked talkgroups, radio parks on control channel, observing all of the group talkgroup channel grants are issued and comparing each to the TGIDs in the scan list. If valid, radio shifts to assigned voice channel and listens. At a certain point (varies depending on whether type of trunking message format used), radio reverts to control channels and resumes watching OSWs.

6) In order to view scan list formats, personality options selected and tagging, and trunked system message format, one would have to read the radio using CPS, which is why your questions can't readily be answered "in the blind."

It sounds like you may be trying to scan conventional and trunked systems in the same scan list, if so the t SCAN TYPE needs to be set to Mult-System Talkgroup, the other comments are correct, you really need to use CPS to set the radio up properly, APX CPS 11.01.01 is the latest, also the firmware update 11.05 was released Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.