AR-DV1 USB FAULT on some recent Receivers

palmerjrusa

From other posts it seems AOR deny the USB problem. Some (most) Dealers deny any knowledge of such a problem despite to my certain knowledge having returned more than one of the bad batch of DV1's to Japan for repair.

However I now know of two recent purchases where the was really no USB issue. It was only one 'bad' batch of the Radios, and it 'seems' AOR may have decided to test new Radios before sale.

The only was to know is to install some control software when the Radio arrives, and use it for at least a couple of weeks. Many of the 'batch' had dead USB circuitry on arrival, and with others it failed after a few days.

I cannot believe AOR are not testing new DV1's now, even as a matter of principle, and their new '30 day test' offer appears to be proof of that.

I think it is safe to buy one, but just in case, do the tests.

Just ordered an AR-DV1😁.

kinglou0

Thanks!

Ordered it from HRO.
Double interested now.

I had a very small issue in the past (20+ years ago) with HRO when it came to getting them to lean on Icom for repairs to a IC-T8A.

It ended up working out but it definitely made a long lasting impression with me. A customer needs to know that a dealer will go to bat for them with a manufacturer.

HRO still gets my business but a heap of wariness rides along with each purchase.

palmerjrusa

Double interested now.

I had a very small issue in the past (20+ years ago) with HRO when it came to getting them to lean on Icom for repairs to a IC-T8A.

It ended up working out but it definitely made a long lasting impression with me. A customer needs to know that a dealer will go to bat for them with a manufacturer.

HRO still gets my business but a heap of wariness rides along with each purchase.

I've purchased a bunch of gear from HRO too!😁

I've a feeling HRO will have AOR drop ship one to me, it's listed as out of stock but HRO told me in an email they could still supply it.

Currently have a problem with an order from HRO but it's not their fault, they immediately shipped the order via UPS about a month back but UPS has managed to lose it and I still haven't received the items.
I can see the UPS delivery van when it comes by where I live and was expecting delivery from the tracking history.
Received the delivery confirmation, which I thought was odd since no UPS van outside, immediately went to check for the package and it wasn't there.
Waited an hour or so, the UPS van came by and still no package.
Have an open case submission with UPS for a missing item and still waiting on the results for that.

Got an AOR DA3200 scanner antenna packed away and intend to get that out and setup to use with the AR-DV1.

Last edited:

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I've purchased a bunch of gear from HRO too!😁

I've a feeling HRO will have AOR drop ship one to me, it's listed as out of stock but HRO told me in an email they could still supply it.

Currently have a problem with an order from HRO but it's not their fault, they immediately shipped the order via UPS about a month back but UPS has managed to lose it and I still haven't received the items.
I can see the UPS delivery van when it comes by where I live and was expecting delivery from the tracking history.
Received the delivery confirmation, which I thought was odd since no UPS van outside, immediately went to check for the package and it wasn't there.
Waited an hour or so, the UPS van came by and still no package.
Have an open case submission with UPS for a missing item and still waiting on the results for that.

Got an AOR DA3200 scanner antenna packed away and intend to get that out and setup to use with the AR-DV1.

Yes HRO will notify AOR USA and they will drop ship it from California. The problem is that AOR will not provide tracking info to HRO so your radio will just show up unannounced on your doorstep. My wife got home and found my new 5700D sitting on the porch. It will arrive well packed with that new radio smell, LOL. Once you have had a chance to familiarize yourself with the radio, you should follow Marlbrook's advice and downgrade the firmware to 1907B and get his software for the DV-1. If you are into computer control, logging, etc. eSPYonARD is what you need. Have fun.

palmerjrusa

Yes HRO will notify AOR USA and they will drop ship it from California. The problem is that AOR will not provide tracking info to HRO so your radio will just show up unannounced on your doorstep. My wife got home and found my new 5700D sitting on the porch. It will arrive well packed with that new radio smell, LOL. Once you have had a chance to familiarize yourself with the radio, you should follow Marlbrook's advice and downgrade the firmware to 1907B and get his software for the DV-1. If you are into computer control, logging, etc. eSPYonARD is what you need. Have fun.

Thanks, love "new radio smell".😁

How long before your AR-DV1 arrived from ordering to receiving?
What carrier did AOR use?

God I hope they don't use USPS and it goes through the Baltimore Sorting Center, that's a black hole for mail, things go in and they never seem to come back out again.

I've been looking at the eSPYonARD software, looks pretty good😁.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, love "new radio smell".😁

How long before your AR-DV1 arrived from ordering to receiving?
What carrier did AOR use?

God I hope they don't use USPS and it goes through the Baltimore Sorting Center, that's a black hole for mail, things go in and they never seem to come back out again.

I've been looking at the eSPYonARD software, looks pretty good😁.

My 5700D was ordered on May 28th and arrived on June 7th. The carrier was UPS

GW3VVL

UPDATED LIST OF SERIAL NUMBERS - DV1 USB FAULT
09524317 (bought in France)
09524391 (bought in Europe)
09524392 (bought in Australia - NOTE consecutive numbers))
There are in fact now 8 units with the same problem I am aware of in the last 3 weeks.The Serial Numbers of two of them are unknown as they were replaced by the Dealer, who then supplied another DV1 which also had the same fault.
I am new to this group. Just got mine yesterday. Serial number 09525081. USB not working. I will get a new cable on Monday and see if that makes any difference. Driver installed. Firmware updated.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I am new to this group. Just got mine yesterday. Serial number 09525081. USB not working. I will get a new cable on Monday and see if that makes any difference. Driver installed. Firmware updated.

Please keep me updated whatever happens. If the Port does not work with the new cable you should return the Radio, assuming it was from a Dealer. Whatever happens post details. Good luck.

G8PTN

Before concluding that the USB interface is faulty, it might be worth trying the following quick test.

Disconnect the USB interface, turn ‘OFF’ the DV1 and power it down (12V). Then repower the DV1, turn it ‘ON’ and then reconnect the USB and see if the interface is detected.

I have noticed in the past if you connect the USB interface before powering up the DV1 (12V), the USB interface does not always seem to be functional.

73 Dave

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
If you have just bought a DV1 - Be aware!

Here are Serial Numbers of AR-DV1's others have reported from an apparently faulty batch re. USB Ports failing. This is a hardware issue, not related to USB Cables, Windows or Drivers. In three of the cases the Ports worked for a very short time before they failed. In one it was present from the beginning.

09524391 (bought in Europe)
09524392 (bought in Australia - NOTE consecutive numbers))

There are in fact now 5 units with the same problem I have seen reported in the last 2 weeks.The Serial Number of one of them is unknown as it was quickly replaced by the Dealer, who then supplied another DV1 which also had the same fault. Must be an issue with a recent batch from AOR. Very disappointing. Earlier batches are OK.

IF you have bought a DV1 recently you would be well advised to check its Serial Number. IF it may be within the same batch then unless you check its USB Port works with suitable software, testing for at least a couple of days, including unplugging and plugging in a USB Plug several times, you may not find out about the fault and take action quickly enough.

These DV1's were bought mainly in Europe, but one was purchased in Australia.

AOR are denying any such fault exists, and in some cases Dealers are insisting that newly purchased AR-DV1's have to be returned to AOR in Japan, and in the case of the Radio from Australia (just 2 weeks after purchase), the Customer had to pay for the repair.

This contravenes most Countries Trading Laws.

I hope your new DV1 is OK, but the only way to find out is to get some 'FREE' Trial controlling software, and see if the Radio's USB works. In some cases the port was not working from the start, in others it failed within a few days. You really need to do that as soon as possible.

As AOR are denying any problem exists, and in two cases at least saying it is caused by the Customer (despite it being present on new Receivers in their case) and not covered by the Guarantee, there is no way of determining what exactly is causing this, although I suspect that the USB Sockets in the bad batch Batch were either not soldered correctly, or the sockets were not glued to the PCB as they need to be to give them stability and strength to withstand the forces applied by inserting and removing the USB Plug.

The latest information is AOR are saying it a faulty USB Chip, and the Customer has to pay for the repair, as they will not cover it in their Guarantee. However in this you must decide if AOR are telling the truth about the nature of the fault?

Totally contrary to what AOR might think or say, I have been a great fan of AOR equipment (with one exception) for decades), and the AR-DV1 most of all.

IF ANYONE HAS A RECENTLY PURCHASED AN AR-DV1 AND ITS USB HAS FAILED - PLEASE NOTE ITS SERIAL NUMBER AND POST THE INFORMATION HERE BEFORE RETURNING IT
you would think that the MFG'ERS would work with us. there are some very smart people here to help.. thanks for your help mel-buddy

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
Please keep me updated whatever happens. If the Port does not work with the new cable you should return the Radio, assuming it was from a Dealer. Whatever happens post details. Good luck.
well i did try to go back to 1907b from the 2107a but end up with no banks or frq's left to scan. or just the button? so i'm going to try a full reset and load 1907a see if there is and difference in sensitiveity between 1907a and 2107a. i think there might be. i just fixed my 3000a and been compaiaring them at the same time on the same antenna, Well the 3000a wins. so i know there was a difference from the start. i guess i might of explaned myself to AOR in a confusing way. i'm willing to pay to get it right, I don't want a 1700$ paper weight lying around. This way we all can learn about our wanted to be pride and joy..i've said before that i had the sensitiveity on and IFR and it showed .50uv @ 12db sinad. were as when
i used to tune other radio's years ago it wasn't hard to get .35mv, then you know you have a good radio. I never open up my DV1 to check things
because it didn't need to. i look at the skymatic of the DV1 and everything is chipped control. And that was enough for me, I knew i had to let the pro's handle it.. well i tried. well mybe i'm way off and i'll learn something...eh

73's

GW3VVL

Before concluding that the USB interface is faulty, it might be worth trying the following quick test.

Disconnect the USB interface, turn ‘OFF’ the DV1 and power it down (12V). Then repower the DV1, turn it ‘ON’ and then reconnect the USB and see if the interface is detected.

I have noticed in the past if you connect the USB interface before powering up the DV1 (12V), the USB interface does not always seem to be functional.

73 Dave
Thanks Dave. Tried that. No joy. I have returned the radio and got a full refund. I now have the ICOM R8600.
73s

Thanks for your interest. In the end I returned it and got a full refund. Now have an ICOM R8600. Great improvement. Kind regards.

c0ne

Thanks Dave. Tried that. No joy. I have returned the radio and got a full refund. I now have the ICOM R8600.
73s

Thanks for your interest. In the end I returned it and got a full refund. Now have an ICOM R8600. Great improvement. Kind regards.
The only thing i use the dv1 for, is it’s IF mode. It serves as a decent demodulator for my R8600. If icom added DMR, I would save myself some desk space.

GW3VVL

Thanks Dave. I am having issues connecting the R8600 to the computer. I have followed the instructions from ICOM (USB driver installation. How to use R8600 as an SDR) but no luck. I can decode OK using MULTIPSK, so the cable and port settings are all OK. Did you have any problems?

73s