ARC996 Basic

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
After installing the recent Windows 10 big update, ARC996 Basic seems to install with no problems. When I try to run the program, I get the following message:
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. Anyone with any Ideas? Thanks!

K4EET

Chaplain
tvengr, you might want to post some system info like available hard drive space, total system RAM, system processor, clock speed, etc.

<edit> Right click the Windows flag (lower left corner), left click "System", copy "Device Specifications"...

K4EET

Chaplain
tvengr, okay, you have 831 GBytes of hard disk space which is good but I'm a little concerned about the System Memory. 8 GBytes of RAM is actually pretty small these days for Windows 10. You might be max'ing out the memory space. I cannot say for sure. I have 32 GBytes of RAM in my system and my Device Specifications look like this:

Let's wait and see what BuTel says about the error message. FWIW, on my system, I run ARC536PRO, BCDx36HP_Sentinel and ProScan simultaneously when I am working with my scanner and have no memory issues.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Butel has this to say on their web page: (couldn't link since they use frames) This was written for older 64-bit OS's like Vista and 8. In Windows 10 you may have to click on the File Explorer item in the Start Menu if you do not have a desktop icon.

All ARC software under Vista/Windows 7/8/10 must be installed and run with full administrative rights.
Instructions for setting Vista administrative rights:

- install the software
- do not start the software yet!
- click 'Computer' on your desktop
- in the 'Folder' section click on 'C:'
- locate the software installation folder ( usually program files/butel/ )
- right click on the program file (ARC icon) and select properties.
- select 'compatibility' tab
- locate the option 'run as administrator' and tick that option.
- confirm by clicking ok.
- you can now start the program

8GB of RAM should be enough to run Windows 10 and ARC996, the message you are getting is likely not related to RAM but access to system resources based on permissions. Running it as Administrator will likely get you going.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Are you using the latest version of ARC996 (V 4.0 Build 1)? Do you have any other resource hungry apps running in the background?

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am running the latest version. Nothing substantial running in background. I haven't tried installing anything else to see if it works. I never had this problem before the Windows 10 update. I have already sent an e-mail to Butel. I will check running as administrator. Thanks for all of your help!

tvengr

Well Known Member
It ended up that my virus software was removing a file that it falsely detected as being a virus. That is why there were insufficient system resources. The virus software company finally found that it was their problem and corrected it.. ARC996 is back in service. Thanks again for all of your help.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Antivirus's sure cause more trouble than they are worth anymore for a good few years honestly. Since your running windows 10 far as an antivirus it already comes with a very capable antivirus that is incorporated into windows called defender, no need to buy one, all I have.
Only one time I have seen and on here was an older version of freescan it flagged erroneously is all.
Consider uninstalling what you have, will have an overall performance improvement. If you use a paid one, saves you money!

I recently worked on a PC for another and removed avast and it was a very noticeable performance improvement when it was uninstalled.
I also fixed a neighbors laptop a year ago where if I recall would take several minutes to boot and it was just so dead slow to unusable and is only a couple years old. Uninstalled mcadee that came with the laptop and it suddenly came to life, booted normal time and became useable again.

Three snip-its from Leo's weekly show that airs on radio actually twice a week on weekends for 3 hours a day each for a couple decades.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.