Are mic connectors standardized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
We got a radio with a mic that has controls on the mic (seems standard enough) -- however, I want a "just plain old mic" -- I won't be using the tone's often enough. The connector is rj-45 ish -- My question is -- are these connectors "standardized" such that a mic from Mfgr A will work with mfgr B's radio?

Thanks
-j

(One of my favourite tag lines is "The great thing about standards is: There's so many to choose from")

jassing

Premium Subscriber
No. And to make it worse, often they won't even standardize within a manufacturer.

Gotta love that...

What type of radio are you looking at, maybe we can help you find a suitable mic?

I ended up with a blackbox mobile radio. Considering their site doesn't list one, and their customer service is nil; I'm not holding out high hopes -- but if there is one... well; bonus.

I suppose I could see what's closed when I key up and then re-write a mic (?) to do the same?

K9WG

Some transceivers don't even use a open/closed switch to key the transmitter but use a specific resistance to indicate to the radio that you want to talk. ;)

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Gotta love that.. resistance -- oh well -- I can live with the mic, just would have been nice to go simpler. Definitely won't mistake it for my cb mike.
Not yet, but the guy said he has it and will locate it and mail it on.
but from what I've read, the bb manuals are nearly worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.