Ark Citizens Suing Over Radio Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Concur

I honestly think the live feeds online should be banned. That's what has brought encryption back!!!

Criminals will not spend the time to program nor keep up with a scanner.

I agree with you on one thing, the first statement; however, don't underestimate the mind of a criminal. I am basing my statement on 22 years working as a mental health professional in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

If an offender wanted to steal a radio and then google the user's manual, it would not take a great deal of time to figure out that a simple zip code entry opens up the radio up for all sorts of things. I have administered many Wechsler Intelligent tests within the system. Not all are troglodytes and mono-brows.

Intelligence does not always play into the equation of getting caught. Yes, some are dealing with two neurons ricocheting inside their skull; however, those with Antisocial Personality Disorder (psychopath) can't keep their mouths shut. No, their ego gets them caught because they cannot keep their mouth shut.

Here is an exception to the rule. This was such a great story. And, as expected, Hollywood had to ruin it by casting Jim Carrey in this movie.

This convict made a mockery of the prison system on many occasions:

The Further Adventures of King Con | Houston Press

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You're right. Not all criminals are "troglodytes." But after 32 years in law enforcement working everything from burglaries to murders to white collar crime to Homeland Security, I've found that those that have any sense about them are working different types of crimes. They do forgeries, insurance fraud, embezzlement, etc., crimes that require a few brain cells to try to find a way to keep from getting caught. They're not wasting their time programming scanners. The crimes they commit are not impulse crimes (or usually even violent crimes). They're planned with the intent of not being caught and not leaving a paper trail.

White collar crimes are among the toughest to work. The suspects start out by planning their crimes so they won't get caught. That is so different than the "troglodyte" who comes upon a car with the keys in it or sees a liquor store that looks like an easy target.

Having said all that, in 3+ decades of law enforcement, I never had a case where the suspect had a scanner.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Twin Peaks: Waco

Thanks for your comments, particularly about not finding scanners.

Recently, in the Twin Peaks ordeal here in Waco, I do not recall anyone talking about any of the bikers toting scanners. Furthermore, I have around 5 hours of scanner recording on that day, in the clear. No officers were killed.

Then, many years ago, when I was living near Houston, the most embarrassing thing happened on National TV. It was nearly as good as the empty Capone vault.

The Sheriff entered a drug suspect's dwelling with Geraldo in tow, with guns drawn. After everyone in America observed the woman painting a wall, the Sheriff immediately commented about a police scanner going nearby. He remarked, "you see, we find a great deal of these...........................blah blah blah. Initially, no drugs were found. It was very strange and hilarious.

Drug Show: Rivera May Face A Suit - philly-archives

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
:lol: That is golden! Every time I see Geraldo on Fox I shutter to think he calls himself a Republican.

Rivera co-wrote and hosted the first special, "The Mystery of Al Capone's Vaults," which aired in April and was the highest-rated syndicated show in television history. It featured the on-air, live opening of a vault in Chicago thought to contain a portion of Al Capone's fortune. However, the vault was empty.

Yeah, I would bet that the Outfit scarfed up on it looooong ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.