Ark Citizens Suing Over Radio Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Can some one decipher?

An agreement was made that the police department, as a political subdivision of the city would be dropped from the action. Both the city and the department were named, which was redundant. Rules were set forth on discovery timelines, and reading the section on dispositive motions and replies indicates that the court is urging the parties to settle the matter prior to the court having to get involved.

Lanny7436

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure it's from somewhere earlier in the post, but can you be more specific as to what you're referring to?

CapStar362 indicated that 90% of criminals used scanners/scanner apps (msg #12 of this thread.). Just wondered where that stat came from.

dbs1023

I honestly think the live feeds online should be banned. That's what has brought encryption back!!!

Criminals will not spend the time to program nor keep up with a scanner.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
CapStar362 indicated that 90% of criminals used scanners/scanner apps (msg #12 of this thread.). Just wondered where that stat came from.

I spent over 30 years as a cop. I remember only one incident where a suspect had a scanner but it wasn't helping. The batteries were dead.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I spent over 30 years as a cop. I remember only one incident where a suspect had a scanner but it wasn't helping. The batteries were dead.

Yeah, I think they give criminals too much credit. Actually I think they usually just use it as evidence they feel will back up their case. But anyway, it is what it is so we have to deal with it. As much as I hope I'm wrong, I doubt we'll ever see any court say encryption/scrambling is illegal...

SCPD

QRT
With how the world is currently and people going on terrorist type attacks or shootings to privacy issues with people wanting to sue over redundant issues to get a check and with the technology at a all time low cost and with most equipment it will be around regardless of a scanner or not. Only 2 times I have Seenough a scanner used both times they were off and one under a seat off. It either is chosen to be used or isnt. I recall one reason el paso chose to have its sheriffs use it fully was due to being a border county and deputies having issues with coyotes using actual radios to monitor the sheriff. Allot wasn't publicly said but they used the old cell deal publicly so nobody felt they had to fear people walking across chihuahua into el paso is a norm and deputies sometimes out numbered and out gunned.

wbswetnam

It is rare that criminals use police scanners to evade police, but it can happen. I remember reading about when rebel LDS church leader Warren Jeffs was arrested in 2006, he had a police scanner in his vehicle... among many other things, too, of course. It doesn't say whether or not he was actually USING the scanner, however.
Polygamist's body language tipped off trooper - CNN.com

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
That certainly changes the perspective of the original situation/lawsuit somewhat!

As the late Paul Harvey always said: "and now you know, the rest of the story"

Interesting the Criminal Impersonation charge...

Whacker mobile, showing up at scenes, fake LEO credentials, and a FBI investigation... All alleged of course...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Not yet. There was another hearing in the Mullens case. Not much did happen there. Little Rock and North Little rock will now start live-streaming some of their audio with 30 minute delay. I'll keep everyone updated, I promise, I won't forget.

Any more updates?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Feigned Threat

Yes, I am in agreement. I've never heard of one incident where there was a functional relationship existed between open radio traffic and an officer being harmed or killed.

I have around 5 hours of audio recorded on my Uniden 436HP from the Twin Peaks shootout in Waco, Texas. None of the recorded traffic was encrypted. Also, no officers were killed. If you would to listen to these three You Tube audios, send a PM.

cpetraglia

I honestly think the live feeds online should be banned. That's what has brought encryption back!!!

Criminals will not spend the time to program nor keep up with a scanner.
The last time I called for banning live feeds, my post was deleted and I was warned by RR.
I cannot agree with you enough. Big joke, causing more encryption.

kmoe

The last time I called for banning live feeds, my post was deleted and I was warned by RR.
I cannot agree with you enough. Big joke, causing more encryption.

Remember rule #1: Corporate greed.....takes precedence over freedom of speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.