Ark Citizens Suing Over Radio Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlr009

Feed Provider
The feed is going up and down. We are having problems with the delay software. The delay is decaying to 15 minutes in 3 hours and zero in 5 hours. We are using a vendor modified version of RadioDelay. Open to suggestions if someone knows something else that would work. We want to provide the audio, but it is not going to be possible without a delay.

I consulted with a broadcast engineer and have located a hardware device used in audio broadcasting that should do what we need. It will take 2 to 3 weeks to get one as the US vendor is out of stock, and the device is made in the UK.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
For the ones spouting non sense about politicians, please go back to the very beginning on this issue. The encryption by LRPD is solely due the new CoP. When Pulaski County was about to go to the AWIN, LRPD officially stated in multiple outlets there would be no ecryption on any dispatch talk groups. And then came the new Chief form Elsewhereville. Suddenly its vital that LRPD fully encrypt so the bad guys can't hear anything over cell phones, or scanners.... The city of Little Rock government officials went nuts over this, and had hearings even. They were not happy about it, not one bit.

Anyway, back to watching this in the courts to see if common sense will win the day.

durango5550

Booger D.
It's HIPAA not HIPPA. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. I have lectured on HIPAA at Northeastern University and countless EMT courses. It drives me crazy to see people who try using it as an excuse for encryption to not even take the time to learn the correct abbreviation. People have tried hiding behind this for years, but it really doesn't change much from EMS communications of the past. As long as a person cannot identify the patient from the information, it is HIPAA compliant

The stuff referenced above may be considered as CORI in many states, but does not fall under laws anywhere near as restrictive as HIPAA.

OMG SO SORRY TO UPSET YOU....

w/e

If you took the time to read what I posted instead of jumping off the deep end because I made a mistake. I said they COULD use it as an excuse. Meaning possibly. I thought HIPAA policy could cover any private information.....

INDY72

Lets stay focused here fellas. N o hissy fits or cat fighting allowed. Only warning.

dbs1023

I still think streaming should be illegal. Let the people who have had a lifelong Hobbie continue on, we have our hard earned money tied up in equipment. Most criminals don't have a scanner anyway and if they do, they are more than likely being investigated by a higher level if at all.

My 2 cents

I still think streaming should be illegal. Let the people who have had a lifelong Hobbie continue on, we have our hard earned money tied up in equipment. Most criminals don't have a scanner anyway and if they do, they are more than likely being investigated by a higher level if at all.

My 2 cents

+1 on that!! I've never liked live scanner feeds anyways because they start to cause us people with scanners trouble. they take the fun out of scanning !

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Up until I heard about broadcastify several years ago I had thought that the rule was: if you hear it on the scanner you don't you don't talk about it.

INDY72

And that is bordering on breaking the no negative comments about encryption and live streaming. Guys, I am going to start handing out infractions like Christmas presents. Do no try me. My niceness is about to run out.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Other than the 30 minute delay feed being up, any updates?

I skimmed the last few pages and didn't see a hearing date.

I think posts 123 & 124 are what you missed:

Any update on this?

Not yet. There was another hearing in the Mullens case. Not much did happen there. Little Rock and North Little rock will now start live-streaming some of their audio with 30 minute delay. I'll keep everyone updated, I promise, I won't forget.

iamhere300

OMG SO SORRY TO UPSET YOU....

w/e

If you took the time to read what I posted instead of jumping off the deep end because I made a mistake. I said they COULD use it as an excuse. Meaning possibly. I thought HIPAA policy could cover any private information.....

I think you will find that some of us have spent many many hour educating people on HIPAA, and seen many so called "professionals" in the Fire and EMS field that still don't get it. It tends to get very aggravating.

HIPAA only applies to agencies that are considered "covered entities", and most agencies other than EMS are not "covered entities".

Health plans
Health care clearinghouses
Health care providers who conduct certain financial and administrative transactions electronically. These electronic transactions are those for which standards have been adopted by the Secretary under HIPAA, such as electronic billing and fund transfers.

Even then, information given out over the air to enable proper dispatch and response is allowed - name, address, etc.

Information given out to aid care is also allowable, so if you have to contact a hospital and they insist on the name, SSAN, Neck size, etc, you can provide that, if it is to provide the correct care.

durango5550

Booger D.
I think you will find that some of us have spent many many hour educating people on HIPAA, and seen many so called "professionals" in the Fire and EMS field that still don't get it. It tends to get very aggravating.

HIPAA only applies to agencies that are considered "covered entities", and most agencies other than EMS are not "covered entities".

Health plans
Health care clearinghouses
Health care providers who conduct certain financial and administrative transactions electronically. These electronic transactions are those for which standards have been adopted by the Secretary under HIPAA, such as electronic billing and fund transfers.

Even then, information given out over the air to enable proper dispatch and response is allowed - name, address, etc.

Information given out to aid care is also allowable, so if you have to contact a hospital and they insist on the name, SSAN, Neck size, etc, you can provide that, if it is to provide the correct care.

Starting to wonder if this is different in other areas or just different ways policy is followed.

Here under no instances do you say the patients name while speaking to hospital over the radio. Is their name really gonna make a difference in care anyway?

A handful of times I have heard the EMS ask dispatch the patients name before they arrived but it doesn't happen often

Anyway thanks for your time and the explanation.

Good day
Dan

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Dan, probably a SOP issue locally. We're referring to the Federal HIPAA legislation and the fact fact departments that aren't even bound by it are using it as an excuse to justify encryption.

INDY72

Correct, most of the time, its some lawyer for an organization that is super scared of any court appearance that may cost money for them that uses HIPAA as the excuse to pull the trigger. As for name SSN etc.. The only medical agency I know of that mentions SSN and uses initials is the VA Med Centers to verify the patient is indeed eligible for treatment at an VA facility. Several other agencies use last name, and Dr.'s name to verify a direct admit, or special transfer per Dr.'s orders. As for this case, its a new CoP for LRPD trying to be gung ho over issues that are not really valid to use as an argument anyway.

Anyway, this one will be tied up in court for a very long time. Its never easy to beat "City Hall" lol.

INDY72

Kinda expected that one. That still leaves the other one that has more merits and good legal background. Keep us updated guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.