ARRL Printed Magazines Message

RFI-EMI-GUY

Today I received a postcard from ARRL HQ saying that I had two options:

1) Read my magazines on-line (QST and QEX are my subscriptions)
0r
2) Cough up an additional $25 to continue to get printed magazines. I would have to log in and "Add Print Delivery" to my subscription.

They can't do this. On August 1st, I already renewed my subscriptions on line, and nowhere does it say they are for other than printed magazines. If you received such a card and have renewed this year already, don't pay them .

This is blatantly wrong and I expect HQ to reverse this.

Last edited:

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
ARRL HQ wants this and did it.

I know a few people that did the three year membership prior to the final ruling just to keep their QST coming and they got the same notice to pay up. They do not appear to be getting refunds either when they confronted ARRL with cancellation requests. One might expect a class action lawsuit in the near future.

Minster is either a clueless suit or more likely, someone malevolent that expects someone else to pay for the mistakes of his team and himself.

ARRL may well be on its' deathbed.

RFI-EMI-GUY

ARRL HQ wants this and did it.

I know a few people that did the three year membership prior to the final ruling just to keep their QST coming and they got the same notice to pay up. They do not appear to be getting refunds either when they confronted ARRL with cancellation requests. One might expect a class action lawsuit in the near future.

Minster is either a clueless suit or more likely, someone malevolent that expects someone else to pay for the mistakes of his team and himself.

ARRL may well be on its' deathbed.
Yeah, the content of QST is getting pretty bad as well. The last issue was an article about ham radio in the Metaverse??? Maybe the internet has killed everything. Still contractually they cannot do what they are doing, even if the board voted on doing so. It is common sense to anyone who does business of any kind. It may not be too late, at least for me to do a credit card dispute and get it over.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Today I received a postcard from ARRL HQ saying that I had two options:

1) Read my magazines on-line (QST and QEX are my subscriptions)
0r
2) Cough up an additional $25 to continue to get printed magazines. I would have to log in and "Add Print Delivery" to my subscription.

They can't do this. On August 1st, I already renewed my subscriptions on line, and nowhere does it say they are for other than printed magazines. If you received such a card and have renewed this year already, don't pay them .

This is blatantly wrong and I expect HQ to reverse this.
I was informed of this at my renewal date, we make tough decisions everyday but they have to be made.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
.. Still contractually they cannot do what they are doing, even if the board voted on doing so. It is common sense to anyone who does business of any kind. It may not be too late, at least for me to do a credit card dispute and get it over.

The problem is that "common sense" is not a quantifiable standard in law and the ARRL is all too likely to have a differing opinion before the Court. What argument might the Court cite in a concurring opinion? That's up to the argumentation and rhetoric used before the Judge/Magistrate hearing the case.

Yes but we paid for something and now it is being taken away sounds like a class action suit.

There are three types of class action suits in State Courts and Federal Court. The first is employment wage and benefits - clearly not applicable here since we are not employed by ARRL. The second is based in product liability - think of the Ford Pinto, Takata airbags, etc. The third and final one is consumer claims - did the buying consumer get what they contracted and paid for? This final one might be the likely actionable justification for bringing an action against the ARRL.

Another question that needs to be addressed is where to file - State or Federal. Since 'diversity' exists throughout ARRL membership... Federal would be a better venue. Diversity among class action members doesn't mean what many might believe it to be - it [diversity] describes where members of the class action reside and where they claim residence. Members may have a single residence or live in multiple states, but the Federal filing covers them all without trying to research civil class action rules of all 50 states and however many Federal territories are involved. Some are Life members, some are annual members, others are multi-year members and they would all have to be certified as members by the respective Court or Courts.

The ARRL is a 501.c.3 organization under applicable IRS rules and is considered a non-profit, so there may be a question as to how much responsibility that an annual, multi-year, or life member has in Board decisions and how much the recent member survey had/has in publishing a physical copy of QST [or other] magazine for each regular [not associate] member. The Court will also have to determine if there is a contractual obligation on ARRL in providing a magazine as part of membership.

Important - I am not an attorney, not a lawyer, or other legal advocate, but am simply bringing facts to consider that have to be considered if someone or collection of persons considers action before the judicial system.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The ARRL is a 501.c.3 organization under applicable IRS rules and is considered a non-profit, so there may be a question as to how much responsibility that an annual, multi-year, or life member has in Board decisions and how much the recent member survey had/has in publishing a physical copy of QST [or other] magazine for each regular [not associate] member. The Court will also have to determine if there is a contractual obligation on ARRL in providing a magazine as part of membership.
The ARRL CEO made $258,831 last year with another $46,981 and works a whopping 40 hours a week. Do you think you're getting your money's worth supporting a few "Rich Men North of Richmond" doing exactly what to earn that money? All of this is right from their IRS form 990, no secrets here. They are all about themselves at the cost of their membership.

Our county manager makes over a hundred grand a year less than that and works 60-80hrs per week.

Stop supporting them. Problem will solve itself.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The problem is that "common sense" is not a quantifiable standard in law and the ARRL is all too likely to have a differing opinion before the Court. What argument might the Court cite in a concurring opinion? That's up to the argumentation and rhetoric used before the Judge/Magistrate hearing the case.
It is common sense that if you contract with me to deliver a particular physical item, say a monthly magazine subscription and I renege and tell you to pay up another $25 or pound sand and read it on line, that I have violated/breached the contract. The court is pretty clear on contract law and won't be swayed by ARRL's "opinion".

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Minster makes far too much money for what he does, without any argument from me.

If ARRL was honest about cost cutting, they'd stop headquartering in one of the most expensive states in the union and relocate to another state. Connecticut is an expensive Blue state that sees itself as an 'elite' social environ.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I was informed of this at my renewal date, we make tough decisions everyday but they have to be made.
How so were you informed?? On what date?

This is how my subscriptions appeared when I renewed. The on line subscription was presented exactly as on the paper reminder letter. No words as to any change in print delivery. Also the e-mail receipt is same as previous year.

1700363134927.png

Last edited:

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
It is common sense that if you contract with me to deliver a particular physical item, say a monthly magazine subscription and I renege and tell you to pay up another $25 or pound sand and read it on line, that I have violated/breached the contract. The court is pretty clear on contract law and won't be swayed by ARRL's "opinion".

Such arguments have been repeatedly been rejected by Courts across the US, What is 'common sense' by formal definition?
You have to defend definitions and terms in argumentation before a Court.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Minster makes far too much money for what he does, without any argument from me.

If ARRL was honest about cost cutting, they'd stop headquartering in one of the most expensive states in the union and relocate to another state. Connecticut is an expensive Blue state that sees itself as an 'elite' social environ.
They are screwing themselves since all that advertising revenue which makes up the bulk of the magazine will be going away. If ARRL were a public company i would be selling my stock right now.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Such arguments have been repeatedly been rejected by Courts across the US, What is 'common sense' by formal definition?
You have to defend definitions and terms in argumentation before a Court.
Contract law is very easy for courts.

You are getting way to argumentative by my use of COMMON SENSE. I could tell you it is common sense not to speed in traffic and you would be arguing that courts won't uphold my speeding ticket.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The ARRL CEO made $258,831 last year with another $46,981 and works a whopping 40 hours a week. Do you think you're getting your money's worth supporting a few "Rich Men North of Richmond" doing exactly what to earn that money? All of this is right from their IRS form 990, no secrets here. They are all about themselves at the cost of their membership.

Our county manager makes over a hundred grand a year less than that and works 60-80hrs per week.

Stop supporting them. Problem will solve itself.
Yup!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
No one here is using their real name here so I can't tell which one is the real Clarence Darrow.

merlin

My last QST was July, can't complain, my subscription expired over a year ago.
Don't expect that postcard because I moved and they don't know.
One would think for all the advertising, it should be free.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
From the ARRL Bylaws as revised August 5, 2021:
"44. There shall be an official publication maintained by the League, in the form of a monthly journal, the name of which shall be QST. A copy of this journal shall be supplied digitally or by mail each month to every member of the League in good standing."

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I got this email 11/14/2023 when you log in to your account it shows how much you have to pay depending on when your membership is up.

IMPORTANT: About Membership and Magazines

All members continue to have access to four digital magazines: QST, On the Air, QEX, and NCJ. Printed-and-mailed issues of QST and On the Air magazines will not be included with current and new memberships effective January 1, 2024. Print subscriptions are available and sold separately. A summary of 2024 dues rates and related changes are available at www.arrl.org/2024-dues-rates.