Associated Ambulance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
My wife's mother lives in Hinton, AB and she wants to listen to Associated Ambulance. I think they use VHF but they are not in the database. Any ideas?

Thanks and stay safe.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If they're working for the 911 system, they will be on the AHS part of the AFRRCS trunk system, which is mostly encrypted in terms of ambulance operations. There are a few channels which are in the clear, but they're used mainly for interoperability for working between Fire & EMS, Police & EMS, etc.

I did look in the federal license data for Associated Ambulance, but nothing came up - that means either they're not licensed under that name, or they are and have masked their data from public view.

Hinton is in the AHS North Zone, so look for "AHS - North Communication Centre Talkgroups" on this page. Be aware that AHS NCC covers a gigantic part of the province from about Jasper all the way around to Cold Lake and everything north of that, so those channels may carry traffic that's way far away from Hinton at any given moment.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
If they're working for the 911 system, they will be on the AHS part of the AFRRCS trunk system, which is mostly encrypted in terms of ambulance operations. There are a few channels which are in the clear, but they're used mainly for interoperability for working between Fire & EMS, Police & EMS, etc.

I did look in the federal license data for Associated Ambulance, but nothing came up - that means either they're not licensed under that name, or they are and have masked their data from public view.

Hinton is in the AHS North Zone, so look for "AHS - North Communication Centre Talkgroups" on this page. Be aware that AHS NCC covers a gigantic part of the province from about Jasper all the way around to Cold Lake and everything north of that, so those channels may carry traffic that's way far away from Hinton at any given moment.

Associated Ambulance, like any privately contracted ambulance service providing emergency pre-hospital care, utilizes AFRRCS. They would be using the North Communication Centre talkgroups, and are encrypted, except for NCC MA11->MA-14.

While the ambulances may still have VHF antennas on them, they are only using AFRRCS(and/or MSAT when out of range of AFRRCS). I live in an area that Associated Ambulance provides emergency, pre-hospital care.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I still hear Ambulances coming into Edmonton on SATCOM 158.760 Tone 100.0. So in Hinton also try that one. I have heard Associated units on the clear MA groups as well as the Emergency Alert channel 945.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I still hear Ambulances coming into Edmonton on SATCOM 158.760 Tone 100.0. So in Hinton also try that one. I have heard Associated units on the clear MA groups as well as the Emergency Alert channel 945.

That’s odd. They ONLY carry those garbage BK 7/800MHz portables now. I haven’t seen a VHF portable on an AA employee since AHS moved to AFRRCS. Even the local VHF repeater is now off the air.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Well I hear them. SATCOM I believe is a VHF mobile connected to SATCOM unit. That may explain the VHF whip on the units. 158.760 is still used by STARS to communicate with units not yet on AFFRCS as well as Provincial fire. On that frequency they are on carrier squelch but when I see the tone 100.0 I know it's SATCOM and you can hear the dispatch audio.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I had SATCOM down here on a 700 MHz freq some time ago but knew that they were using Provincial in some locales too. Maybe if the trucks had VHF mobiles originally they got a Prov Amb based SATCOM channel?

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I've yet to hear anything on AHS SATCOM 771.24375 up here. I'm hearing the VHF stuff less and less now. I live near an Edmonton Hospital so I assumed what I'm hearing is a Northern Alberta unit on SATCOM doing a transfer. Not sure if Westlock or Hinton need to have SATCOM.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I had SATCOM down here on a 700 MHz freq some time ago but knew that they were using Provincial in some locales too. Maybe if the trucks had VHF mobiles originally they got a Prov Amb based SATCOM channel?

How are they using a VHF based extender if they don’t have VHF portables?

Jay911

Feed Provider
How are they using a VHF based extender if they don’t have VHF portables?

Good question. I have to plead ignorance as I don't have a lot of experience with extenders/VRs but as you say, there's no point in sending a VHF signal out from a satellite link extender if you don't have a VHF radio to use with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.