Audio from feed sounds "computerized"

Status
Not open for further replies.

conve36

I dont know how to explain the audio other than it sounds "computerized", which i dont think is actually a word. But hope you catch my drift. What would be causing this? I am using a PCI sound card, not the onboard audio for the audio input. Also, I am using the line-input, NOT the mic in. Here is a link to my feed so you can hear what I am talking about...

California Highway Patrol, Inland Empire Live Scanner Audio Feed

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I don't notice anything bad with it... Sounds just like any other feed - pretty clear actually compared to some.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I know what you are saying...I think the word you may be looking for is "digitized". I hear the same thing on many feeds (including my own). This is normal for the feeds here.

PeterGV

K1PGV
What software are you using? I noticed the feed is in Stereo, which would reduce the quality somewhat... is there a MONO setting in the software you're using??

Peter
K1PGV

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It may be that the scanner on the stream is monitoring a "digital" system, which has a unique sound to it, not as smooth and warm as analog.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It may be that the scanner on the stream is monitoring a "digital" system,

Doubt it...

===

Currently monitoring;

Temecula and Oceanside Office: 39.68Mhz

Riverside Office: 39.80Mhz

Rancho Cucamonga Office: 39.88Mhz

talkpair

What software are you using? I noticed the feed is in Stereo, which would reduce the quality somewhat... is there a MONO setting in the software you're using??

I would agree with PeterGV's suggestion.

Effectively, you're running 8 Kbps on the left side, and 8 Kbps on the right side when you stream in stereo.

I can't say that I've ever heard an 8 Kbps stream that DIDN'T sound wishy/washy.

I vote to change the stream from stereo to mono.

conve36

I use the software provided by radioreference. I changed the setting to mono, but what should I have the settings set to when it comes to "Bitrate" and "Samplerate"? Its now set at 8 for bitrate and 22xxx for samplerate... Stills sounds "digitized".. Being that other feeds sound good, I must be doing something wrong....

talkpair

For sound quality purposes, a bitrate of 8000 Mono is the same as 16000 Stereo.

Try changing the bitrate to 16000, and the sample rate to either 11025, or 12000 Mono.

I have pretty good results with the 16000/12000 Mono combination.

If you notice, the 'audio through a sea-shell' effect is most noticeable whenever someone with a lot of background noise is talking, and not as noticeable whenever the dispatcher is talking.

I 'think' what is happening is, that the combination of background noise and voice are too much for a 8 K bitrate...The encoder then degrades both the background noise and the voice in order to meet the 8 K allowance.........This is just my own theory, and can't back it up.....Just trial and error.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much.......It still sounds good to me.

PeterGV

K1PGV
talkpair has given you good advice.

MY suggestion: Set the feed to mono. Use a bitrate of 16K (the RR standard). Use a sample rate of 22K (actually 22050).

If that doesn't sound absolutely perfect to you, up the bitrate to 24K (though RR discourages this and it shouldn't be necessary).

If it STILL doesn't sound great, change source clients. I, ahem, recommend ScannerCast :)

You are to be commended for wanting your feed to sound excellent, not just good. But, as others have said, it already sounds pretty darn good to me.

Peter
K1PGV

Tweekerbob

I'm still showing your bitrate at 8k. As others have said, try increasing this to 16k. I am hearing "digitized" comms because of the low bitrate. Other than that, I think your feed should sound pretty darn good; no detectable hum or hiss, and good audio levels.

brandon

Database Admin
Sounds good here. VLC showing 16kb/s bitrate / 22050 Hz sample rate, which should provide good audio in the feed.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Yup! 16Kbps, 22Khz... and sounds absolutely terrific.

Edit: (After listening for a few more minutes and watching your levels carefully)... Your audio IS "clipping" some, nothing too severe, however. You might want to turn the scanner volume down a bit.

Nice work,

Peter
K1PGV

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
As an FYI, I discovered that the interface cable for my BC245XLT was giving me my "digitized" audio in the background on my feed (even with a mono cable - and the encoder audio settings at 16/22, Mono). Once I disconnected that, the "whining" in the background disappeared.:D

PeterGV

K1PGV
does it matter if I am using a stereo cable from my scanner to computer even though my feed is set to "mono"?

Well, it shouldn't matter. But you can't be certain. It depends a lot on the sound card. If it's working, it should stay working, I can tell you that much :)

Peter
K1PGV

Status
Not open for further replies.