Audio recording using a smartphone

scan_madison

Dunno if this question has already been asked. I need a way to record audio and be able to retrieve it just by choosing the time of my interest without too much fuss. I understand there's a program called Audacity that does just that. But, it works only for PC/laptop. I need similar solution for Android that way I can leave that phone as a monitoring device. And I believe you can use audio cable for input to smartphone plug so ambient sound doesn't disturb. Buying a separate recorder is a option but I would rather not.

I did find an app called "alfred camera" that not only records audio but video as well which is great. And it does loop recording in 8 hour format. Best of all, the recording can be monitored remotely! But, since it is recording video footage as well, it is a overkill. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

DC31

Feed Provider
Your requirement that it use a smart phone complicates things greatly. You will need an audio cable adapter as a standard stereo cable is three-conductor (TRS) and you need four-conductor (TRRS) to include the Mic wire to input the sound to the phone. To keep it running, you will want to keep the charger plugged in. This will kill your battery.

however, what you are trying to do is possible. Try putting the Zello app on your phone. It has Vox recording and saves/time stamps each recording it makes. Back in the archives of this forum is a post where this setup is described. The other advantage if you can make this work is that you can listen live from any other device also.

a417

If you just want to record, use something like Voice Recorder. 4.8 stars on the store.

It tells me I can store 527 hrs of audio on the memory card currently in my phones data port, so it clearly just doesn't dump it to the internal memory. Has a decent set of controls to work with, allows file type & settings to be changed.

If you can find a cable to go from your audio device you wish to record, into your phones headphone jack *that is appropriate and doesn't short connections* you should be ok. Sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for.

scan_madison

Your requirement that it use a smart phone complicates things greatly. You will need an audio cable adapter as a standard stereo cable is three-conductor (TRS) and you need four-conductor (TRRS) to include the Mic wire to input the sound to the phone. To keep it running, you will want to keep the charger plugged in. This will kill your battery.

however, what you are trying to do is possible. Try putting the Zello app on your phone. It has Vox recording and saves/time stamps each recording it makes. Back in the archives of this forum is a post where this setup is described. The other advantage if you can make this work is that you can listen live from any other device also.

Okay thanks for your input. Zello seems to perfectly fit my requirement. I have installed the app on both phones and am experimenting. So far so good.

scan_madison

If you just want to record, use something like Voice Recorder. 4.8 stars on the store.

It tells me I can store 527 hrs of audio on the memory card currently in my phones data port, so it clearly just doesn't dump it to the internal memory. Has a decent set of controls to work with, allows file type & settings to be changed.

If you can find a cable to go from your audio device you wish to record, into your phones headphone jack *that is appropriate and doesn't short connections* you should be ok. Sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for.
Thanks.