Automatic Antenna Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirSmith

I recently purchased a 2M antenna with the goal of making an iGate in an area void of one. I was also hoping to use the same antenna to boost the gain of my scanner. Is there a way of connecting both to the same antenna without "blowing up" the scanner when the iGate transmits? Thanks!

W8TDS

W8TDS

LtDoc

I guess it just depends on how much you are willing to spend. A duplexer is one way, but they are not given away. Sit down before asking price! A second option for that scanner is some other antenna, it doesn't have to be much, almost anything will work to some extent. Not a very 'satisfying' answer, huh?
- 'Doc

SirSmith

Thanks for the info. I had looked at duplexers but was hoping since the scanner was a receive only application that one wouldn't be needed. Since the iGate operates on one specific frequency would it be possible to split the antenna feed and then use a band-stop filter?

n8zcc

Thanks for the info. I had looked at duplexers but was hoping since the scanner was a receive only application that one wouldn't be needed. Since the iGate operates on one specific frequency would it be possible to split the antenna feed and then use a band-stop filter?

You will need to notch out the transmit frequency. That is not going to be cheap to do nor it is space saving at 2 meters, you will need a duplexer, like what is used for a repeater.

SirSmith

A duplexes would allow them to operate simultaneously. I wouldn't mind if the scanner feed got cut out when the iGate transmitted. Is this a possibility?

W8TDS

timkilbride

Database Admin
For the price it will cost you use the two radio's on one antenna(same band), it would be far cheaper to buy a second antenna and coax.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.