AWIN Oddness

Status
Not open for further replies.

badlans

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed something odd in the AWIN listing. The RR listing for the SPRINGDALE site shows that the site is in Washington County. However, if you look at the map, the site is actually in Madison County.

I have no idea why they named the site SPRINGDALE in the first place -- it's nowhere near Springdale, which is in fact in Washington County. "Clifty" or "Eureka Springs" would have made more sense to me. Maybe someone thought Troop L needed an AWIN site named after their location? Who knows?

I submitted an RR ticket last week, and I got a response that it was completed. However, the RR database still lists this site in Washington County. So, I submitted another ticket.

Am I looking at the data wrong? Am I just being impatient? Inquiring minds want to know

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
There is a possibility that that is the "nickname" the site itself is broadcasting. I will look into it and see whats going on.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
AWIN, and others have sites named for the original mapping, and the flawed FCC data. According to the FCC, that town is in 2 differring counties. Til you look at the GPS coordinates on the sites and see someone messed up on the paperwork. Our maps show the GPS location. Apparently that is the biggest nearest municpality??? Not to mention as I have found the hard way, a LOT of data we have is now out of date, and thats why I put out the call for all local folks to reverify the AWIN. As well as ALL conventional data for thier regions. There are several sites that exist that we don't have in the db yet as no one has monitored them and confirmed thier existance. And there are a lot of new sites about to show up due to expansions and add ons from local systems. Over the past few years, the Zone Controllers of the AWIN were changed as to configurations and additional Controllers have been added to make room for expansions. Thus a lot of the sites originally confirmed as one zone/site number wer then moved into other zones and that was a headache lol... Now we can look at the confirmed data and see that in each zone there is plenty of open space, as well as spaces that should not be blank. (You don't put in a site 60 and have nothing from site 50 up to it. Or have gaps between say 35 and 38. Those sites are there, but no one has found them and confirmed them yet.)

Status
Not open for further replies.