AWIN/TOWER Map/Coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I know on the AWIN tower map pics it shows a radius of 10 miles around each tower, however this is NOT used as a coverage estimate..Does anyone have any idea or have any experience with this system and just about how far one tower in the state will go away from that transmitter site before that site is no longer recievable...What I'm trying to say is does anyone know about what the limit on each tower is before you loose it? Mainly the counties that use the towers, Can they be heard in the entire troop area or just around that county..I think everyone can make out what I'm trying to say out of this.. LOL If not, Lemme know...and I'll try to explain it a little clearer...What's the range on tower reception per tower? there we go..that's it.. Anyone know?

Pimpala03

I've been told that typical reception range is about 20 miles with a good 800 MHz antenna. However, a lot of times the conditions are right and you can pick up 40+ miles easy.

I can pick up AWIN on my BCD396T 24.6 miles due south of one of the southernmost towers in the state. I'm in northern Louisiana. This is only outside of my residence in certain parts of the yard. I have the RS 800 MHz ducky on my scanner.

Last edited:

Airdorn

It's 12:30am Sunday.

I am in Cordova, TN and I am picking up the Shell Lake AWIN site right now very strong and clear. That's 40 miles.

Of course, it comes and goes for me. At dawn, Shell Lake will disappear completely and it may not reappear for me the next night.

I heard that once you cross the bridge into Memphis, AWIN pretty much abruptly disappears, as if passing through an invisible wall.

Last edited:

Airdorn

Dude with that radio and even the crappiest 800mhz antenna, you'll get AWIN loud and clear. You're swimming in prime AWIN goodness over there, you just don't realize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.