Baltimore City Police Encrypted soon

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Oh, the sun must have spelled that wrong, it came out as "protect potential victims and witnesses, while also enhancing officer safety"

I'm being sarcastic because the subject annoys me.
Yea, you don't hear names used over PS radio: bad comsec. That's what MDTs and alphanumeric devices / smartphones are for.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to see the full text of the NDA the police department wants the media to sign. It *might* reveal their true motivation, but I think we already know. It's simple - the public has the right to know the full unfiltered truth. We can only get it by having unfettered access to all the facts.

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
When the new chief was hired, because he came from New Orleans, LA PD and while there he encrypted New Orleans PD, I wrote an op-ed piece to the Baltimore Sun against encrypting Baltimore PD. They sent me a nice response back that my information wasn't worth printing because it wasn't an issue in Baltimore. Enough said!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
When the new chief was hired, because he came from New Orleans, LA PD and while there he encrypted New Orleans PD, I wrote an op-ed piece to the Baltimore Sun against encrypting Baltimore PD. They sent me a nice response back that my information wasn't worth printing because it wasn't an issue in Baltimore. Enough said!
Send it in again, with the nice rejection letter attached.

phillydjdan

Wait, where are they getting all this money from? That's at least $500 PER RADIO. They're shutting down firehouses but spending potentially a million dollars on secrecy??? Way to go, Baltimore 😂

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Wait, where are they getting all this money from? That's at least $500 PER RADIO. They're shutting down firehouses but spending potentially a million dollars on secrecy??? Way to go, Baltimore 😂

Let's just say that Grant Capital has "close ties" with certain city officials.

Baltimore City was approved as a interoperability user and a talkgroup sharing partner in the statewide radio system yesterday. They have 5,000 TDMA capable radios, which are now a requirement to be accepted on the system.

Last edited:

phillydjdan

$33 million for 10 years. Definitely someone is in someone's pocket. They could have paid $13 million for thier own system that would last 20 years. But noone will do anything about the city government wasting tax dollars, I'm sure. Glad I don't live there!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The original P25 radio system cost $47M when it was installed years ago. Of course, that included radio infrastructure and other components of an ECC. I think the city allocated $5M for new TDMA radios to replace the XTSs in FY20, and plan to use the remainder of the line of credit to improve the radio infrastructure, maybe moving to Phase 2 at some point.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
This would all be a bigger news story if people realized the implications. Yes, encryption is likely the future for many large cities and communities. However, with a police department that is already on shaky ground with the community, likely not the best idea.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I submitted some minor updates to the RRDB: the site NAC 390, and a traffic channel 851.1125. The FCC licensing has not changed: still reflects a 20K0F3E bandwidth / emission code - not sure when the ASTRO 25 / enc refresh will occur.

sfb88

If a new traffic channel is added to a trunked system do appropriate favorites lists site information need to be updated or does the scanner get the new frequency from the control channel as needed?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If a new traffic channel is added to a trunked system do appropriate favorites lists site information need to be updated or does the scanner get the new frequency from the control channel as needed?
From the control channel on newer scanners. No need to change programming generally.