Barnes Paving Company (Lumberton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porkchop

Whiteville, North Carolina(Columbus County)
This paving company uses 152.9900 frequency for their company radios. They use another one or two for truck to truck communication as well. I am a private hired truck that uses a Yaesu FT2800 to monitor the company system.

Does anyone know if there is a PL tone or repeater for this companies frequency? I know you can just program the frequency in and listen, but you can not transmit. My radio has been converted to transmit on these frequencies but they can not hear me. Does anyone else know the other freq's they use or the tone(s) required for transmitting on their band? Is there any way to figure it out without asking the company they have service with? They do not want to be charged for another radio using the channels, especially a private hire truck.

Thanks,

Porkchop

1) the FT-2800 is FCC type accepted for transmit on HAM FREQS ONLY.....not type accepted to transmit on ANY other freqs/services, even if you are licensed to those services...(conversion to other freqs is NOT the same as FCC Type acceptance)

2) you are not licensed to transmit on that particular system...

FYI

Porkchop

2) you are not licensed to transmit on that particular system...

True I am not licensed but I have their written permission to do so.

1) the FT-2800 is FCC type accepted for transmit on HAM FREQS ONLY.....not type accepted to transmit on ANY other freqs/services, even if you are licensed to those services...(conversion to other freqs is NOT the same as FCC Type acceptance)

I don't know about all that. If I'm not transmitting outside the original radios design, I'm doing nothing wrong. If I'm within the power limits for their license for that frequency, I'm doing nothing wrong. If I'm transmitting on that frequency within their power limit for their license and have their permission to do so, then I'm still doing nothing wrong.

Posting the frequency isn't illegal cause it's on the net. And anyone could figure out how to get the tone by doing just as I did. Set the radio up to scan for the tone....

I see your concern (I think) and I see your point. But I'm not transmitting on any band that I am not suppose to be on.

Last edited:

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> My radio has been converted to transmit on these frequencies ...

>> I don't know about all that. If I'm not transmitting outside the original radios design, I'm doing nothing wrong. If I'm within the power limits for their license for that frequency, I'm doing nothing wrong. If I'm transmitting on that frequency within their power limit for their license and have their permission to do so, then I'm still doing nothing wrong.

Porkchop,

Your first two sentences above say it all.

Once the radio is modified - or "converted" - the F.C.C. type acceptance is no longer valid. The F.C.C. makes it very clear, in its volumes of confusing regulations, that using modified equipment for non-approved station classes is illegal. They also make it clear that the user / operator is ultimately responsible for any infractions.

Just like not knowing the DOT restrictions for the truck you drive, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

All that said, you are not the first person to use a modified ham rig ... and won't be the last. No one's saying you are a bad person. We understand that having contact with the other drivers might simply make doing your job easier, and maybe safer.

Just keep in mind, though, that when a radio operates out of the spread of frequencies it was designed for, sometimes the radio will transmit secondary emissions where it wasn't intended to ... like on someone else's business or public safety channel.

So, if someone says they heard you on the local EMS channel, have someone check the radio, antenna and wiring over.

Porkchop

Better than that, today I sold that rig to a HAM operator while I was getting fuel. I already ask the company if I could use one of their old radios that they didn't use anymore.

Now I know I'm legal and right and I don't have to worry about causing any problems.

Problem solved.

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Porkchop said:
Better than that, today I sold that rig to a HAM operator while I was getting fuel. I already ask the company if I could use one of their old radios that they didn't use anymore.

Now I know I'm legal and right and I don't have to worry about causing any problems.

Problem solved.

There ya go , I'd say that was a smart move to "get rid" of it......excellent choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.