• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Base Station Setup Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

LtDoc

What size power supply would you need? Add up the fuses of all the things to be connected to that power supply and that's the minimum CCS current it should supply. A little extra never hurts for those thingys you decide to use later and power from the same supply.
I think you'll find that there are a limited number of new "base" radios, not a huge selection like for 12 volt mobiles. A power supply and mobile radio are pretty well how it's done most times. Whatever 'fits' your finances best...
- 'Doc

nonperson

I have ordered a nice realistic base station and a Antron a99 antenna.

My first base station was a Radio Shack 492. It worked well for a basic 40 channel radio on the A99 and in the truck, for a little while, on the 102" whip. What I hated about it was the microphone connection. Every time I left the radio sitting for a few months (was in the military at the time) I would have to buy a new microphone for it to work again.
I tried working on it last year so I would have something to do one night. It's now sitting on a shelf and is inoperable. :D When I learn some more and come across another radio I can use for parts I'll try fixing it again.
Any ways I was going to suggest checking out Craigslist, yard sales and maybe some HAM club's web sites for estate sales. Once in a while I'll see some CB stuff on them. The two CB base stations I got now I found on Craigslist. Together I probably paid $100 for them. One is an Uniden Washington with SSB and an external speaker with a built in power supply. Running a little scanner with it at the moment. The other is a Cobra 89XLR. Locals say both radios sound good but the Cobra sounds the best. The only issue I have with the Cobra (besides no SSB) is the receive audio. Has a little more hash in it and it's harder to make out the distant stations than the Washington on the same antenna.
So which one did you get?

CatfishKirk

Yeah I got a 492 also...from ebay. I dont like the 5 pin mics either but they are cheap to replace. I have also seen on ebay a 4 pin to 5 pin adapter for the mic that I was curious about. Know anything about those?

Last edited:

jimbr1

Got one of those 4 to 5 pin adapter-works great, only I had to re-wire it to the correct configuration. Only took unscrewing two screws and a bit of re-soldering. It does not have the little lock pin that the original 5 pin plugs have but is a friction fit and holds well- I actually prefer it as it is easier to unplug from the radio. If you do get one and need to re-wire it- I suggest putting some lock-tite on those little screws once you re-wire it (just from experience)... cheers..

nonperson

Get some decent coax for your system. The Radio Shack coax will do in a pinch but it isn't the best quality. I used some until I got some better stuff on my base CB. I'm now using it on a shortwave receiver I just got and noticed the pl259 isn't making a good connection between the so239 and the outer shield on the coax.

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
Look on ebay, I also have a nice old Royce 40 channel base station that I am selling. It's in good shape with a power mic. I'll let it go for $50.00 plus shipping. Send me an email if you are interested

ka3nxn(at)comcast(dot)net

Jaime

CatfishKirk

I have got my Realistic TRC-492 hooked up to an Antron A-99 that is mounted on an 11 foot pole by my house. I can talk to the radio in my truck fine, but I cannot talk to or hear anyone else. Any Ideas on what the problem is. I have also tried adjusting the tuning rings on the antenna and that did not help.

nonperson

I dont know because I dont have a meter.

You need a meter to make sure your tuning rings are set correctly for your set up. Check out cb radio magazine.com for how they work. As far as the reception and range a lot can effect it.

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
Wow without a meter you are doing surgery totally blind. Look, Like I said in my earlier post, I have a nice base cb that plugs directly into the wall with a power microphone, I even have a simple SWR meter that I'll throw in all for $50.00 all you need to add is an antenna and coax and you're on the air. I just have no use for this stuff. Send me an email to: ka3nxn(at)comcast(dot)net.

Don't waste your time without a meter. I can guarantee the antenna is way out of whack.

Jaime-KA3NXN

Oh yea to add insult to injury if you were to hook a linear up to the setup without tuning the antenna properly, you will have a nice indoor fireworks display the first time you key up the amp while it blows up.

CatfishKirk

The SWR on my radio is 1.5 on channel 1, 1.7 on channel 19, and 2.3 on channel 40. And I also figured out that if I am not picking up anything I can bump on the coax where it plugs into my radio and then I will start pickin up again. I also think I need a shorter piece of coax because of the high SWR on 40. I am using a 20 ft piece now but could probably get by with a 15 ft piece. Any advice? Also, what kind of coax should I get because the stuff from radio shack does not seem to be doing very good?

Last edited:

devildogusmc4

Anyone who gets a chance, can anyone try to make contact with me on CB channel 22 AM. Im testing out my new homebase. Call for 497 Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Thanks.

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
Changing the coax length DOES NOT AFFECT SWR. That is a myth. What you have is a poorly soldered connector on your cable or a crimped connector that has gone bad if you bump it and the radio starts to work. Nothing you on the radio end of the coax or on the coax will fix the issue that your antenna needs to be properly tuned.
For coax use RG-8 or RG-8X if you want the thinner stuff. For a 20' run you can even get away with RG-58, but that is really flimsy and cheap stuff. Don't use RG-59 or RG-6 that is 75 ohm cable and if you use that it will give you a higher SWR than the 50 ohm stuff. Also try and stay away from crimped on connectors. Make sure that you also waterproof the connector at the antenna end when you hook up the cable.

Last edited:

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
What kind of coax is it? If it is 50 ohm cable than you just probably need to put a fresh connector on the radio end, possibly on the antenna end too. If one end is loose than it's also a possibility that the other end is too.

Status
Not open for further replies.