Batteries - Is 1.5v Okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaJungle

I'm looking to buy some extra batteries for my new BCD436HP, but on the back panel, there is writing that says "Use 3 "AA" size alkaline batteries or specified Ni-Mh 1.2v rechargeable batteries only."

I've seen many people recommending Eneloops - https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK...v+eneloop&qid=1585858779&s=electronics&sr=1-2
- but the voltage is 1.5v. I'm not sure if this will make a difference or is a big deal, but before spending money and potentially messing up my scanner, I wanted to see what people think.
Thanks

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Yes, 1.5 Volts is correct. That is the normal voltage for AAA alkaline batteries. Rechargeable AAA batteries are normally listed as 1.2 volts, but when fully charged show 1.5 volts.

ScubaJungle

Yes, 1.5 Volts is correct. That is the normal voltage for AAA alkaline batteries. Rechargeable AAA batteries are normally listed as 1.2 volts, but when fully charged show 1.5 volts.
Ah, okay thank you. I figured it was something like that, I just wanted to make sure. I'm assuming you meant AA.

budevans

The BCD436HP is designed for AA batteries. If you decide to go with Ni-Mh batteries it's recommended that you get batteries rated at 2000 mAh or higher. The batteries that come with the 436 are 2300 mAh. The higher the mAh rating the longer the run time per charge. Batteries with lower mAh such as 2000 mAh will have shorter run times, but they will have a longer useable life. As in more charge discharge cycles.

All of the batteries that I use are 2400 mAh or higher. I get several years of use from them.

The other thing that you should look into is a good battery charger. Powerex and LaCrosse are two that have a good reputations.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Yes, AA. AA, AAA, C, and D are actually all 1.5 volt (or 1.2 volt for rechargeable). The letter refers to the Size of the battery.

ScubaJungle

The BCD436HP is designed for AA batteries. If you decide to go with Ni-Mh batteries it's recommended that you get batteries rated at 2000 mAh or higher. The batteries that come with the 436 are 2300 mAh. The higher the mAh rating the longer the run time per charge. Batteries with lower mAh such as 2000 mAh will have a longer useable life. As in more charge discharge cycles.

All of the batteries that I use are 2400 mAh or higher. I get several years of use from them.

The other thing that you should look into is a good battery charger. Powerex and LaCrosse are two that have a good reputations.
Thanks, good to know. I already purchased the 2000mAh Eneloops with the charger, but I'll keep that info in mind when I'm ready to buy more, can't hurt to have some 2000mAh and some higher for life / charge duration for different scenarios.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget to change the little switch to whatever battery type you are using!!!

This switch has to do with charging batteries in the radio. Yes, it is always better to use an external charger, but you DO NOT want to mistakenly have alkaline batteries in the radio, have the switch set wrong, then plug it in to power.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
One of the selling points for a portable battery powered scanner is that the batteries be readily available. AA batteries are a very common battery physical size, regardless of if they are disposable (1.5 volts) or rechargeable (1.2-1.3. volts). But when the SDS100 was released, AA batteries were not going to work. They couldn’t pack enough of them in the radio to satisfy a decide to length of operating time. Uniden needed to use a lithium-ion battery because the LI’s could supply longer operating times without taking up as much room as the AA cells. There were those disappointed people upset with the different form factor of the battery used because you weren’t going to find them in any store when they needed to be replaced. Either you purchased and carried spares with you or you just had to wait until you recharged the battery supplied with the scanner.

If you are looking for a longer lasting disposable battery try the Energizer Ultimate Lithium. They cost more but I use them when attending an air show because I don’t need to change batteries as often and the spares are lighter in weight. When you are on your feet a good part of three days, everything you carry adds up so I try to carry lighter versions of everything. I will wear a military issue type vest that has multiple pockets designed for spare gun magazines which happen to be a good size for my BCD436HP, BCD325P2 and SDS100. I fill up the remaining pockets with those spare AA Energizer lithium’s and never need to worry about at least two of my scanners.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Don't forget to change the little switch to whatever battery type you are using!!!
From the 436 owner's manual:
USING INTERNAL BATTERIES (BCD436HP ONLY) You can power your scanner using three alkaline or rechargeable AA batteries. There is no switch for the battery type. Using non-rechargeable batteries, select “No” at the Start Charging? message when connecting the USB cable.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber

This switch has to do with charging batteries in the radio. Yes, it is always better to use an external charger, but you DO NOT want to mistakenly have alkaline batteries in the radio, have the switch set wrong, then plug it in to power.
What switch? On a BCD436HP?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

There is no battery type switch in the 436.

Status
Not open for further replies.