Battery Charging Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
What happens if you charge say (3) 2500mA batteries and (1) 2200mA battery at the same time? Does the 2200 over charge or does the system stop and under charge the 2500's?

I know that you shouldn't mix different types of batteries when charging....unfortunatly you only get 3 AA's with the BCD396 and my charger will only charge batteries in pairs. Its a shame to watch them go to waste.

wmbio

There is only a 10% charging capacity error here. I would coninue to charge the batteries in the same way you are now. I have done this in the past with batteries that are very close in capacity and never had any problems.

Wmbio

N

N_Jay

My guess is you will overcharge the smaller one slightly and undercharge the larger one slightly, but that is just a guess (as is everything everyone else tell you without knowing EXACTLY how the PARTICULAR charger that you have works.)

n4voxgill

Silent Key
The Maha C801D is a good charger. The C808M is even better as you also recharge C and D cells. Which ever one you buy, make it big enough to handle all your needs.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My favorite is a homebrew charger I made some years ago that will do from 1 to 100 NiCd cells in series mixed or not. Unfortunately for you my secret patent won't be revealed due to safety issues, you'd zap the hell out of yourself and sue me.

Ordinarily I'd put a smiley there but I'm serious, that's why I can't market it. One would have to be foolproof and the average American is a fool except for lawyers using fools for tools.

BTW, love that name Mahahahaha, reminds me of my old favorite, Laffingyet. (Laffayette)

StuScanner

n4voxgill said:
The Maha C801D is a good charger. The C808M is even better as you also recharge C and D cells. Which ever one you buy, make it big enough to handle all your needs.

Ordered my C808M 5/30 PM, arrived from Thomas Distributing 6/2 AM and is currently
reassembling the chemistry of old Radio Shack AAA NiMHs. After two hours on this
extended trial, they're not even warm.

I couldn't be happier with the charger or Thomas Distributing's service, and it's $10 cheaper than ordering direct! Look for their link in a previous post.

I currently have more than ten devices with Energizer NiMH AAs, AAAs and old Radio Shack
NiCads and NiMHs in C and D sizes, plus spares and wanted to get the most out of them.

N

N_Jay

kb2vxa said:
My favorite is a homebrew charger I made some years ago that will do from 1 to 100 NiCd cells in series mixed or not. . . . .QUOTE]

Yeah, sure.

I love people who are smarter than everyone else.:roll:

They are so good for learning humility!;) :twisted: :lol:

So tell tell?
(Just how does your constant current charger compensate for very deeply discharged cells that need higher currents to start charging and still limit terminal charge voltage for the good cells as they reach capacity?)

Al42

N_Jay said:
So tell tell?
(Just how does your constant current charger compensate for very deeply discharged cells that need higher currents to start charging and still limit terminal charge voltage for the good cells as they reach capacity?)
Equalizing diodes?

N

N_Jay

Al42 said:
Equalizing diodes?

Then they are not in series.

And it still will not limit overcharging of a cell that comes up a bit low.

Good guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.