Battery Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 396XT that I have had for about 4 years. Over the summer it stopped working... It will turn on but after 5 seconds it will shuts off. I plug it in and it won't help, I have changed batteries 3 times and no change. I have charged all the batteries in both the scanner and in a battery wall charger and still no change.

The scanner has sat for a few months, last week a buddy upgraded scanners and gave me his 396xt and some of his old 396xt stuff, batteries where included. The batteries are the original ones that came with the scanner 6 years ago. His scanner worked fine, so I swapped out his batteries and throw them into my non-working scanner for ****s and giggles and it came to life, The batteries (all 3 sets of "New" Rechargeable) that were in my non working one went into his working scanner and did not work. If I put the 3 sets of new rechargeable batteries in anything else in the house (tv remote, etc) they work.

I'm not understanding whats going on. I now have 2 396xt's, But only have "Working" batteries to operate one. I have read on some other post about what batteries everyone is using, some order from online companies, some buy regular rechargeable batteries from the corner store... I have done both with no change.. So I'm in need of battery idea's ASAP...

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
I used rechargeable energizer from Walmart in 2 396Ts and a BR330T and have never had a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

N8IAA

I have a 396XT that I have had for about 4 years. Over the summer it stopped working... It will turn on but after 5 seconds it will shuts off. I plug it in and it won't help, I have changed batteries 3 times and no change. I have charged all the batteries in both the scanner and in a battery wall charger and still no change.

The scanner has sat for a few months, last week a buddy upgraded scanners and gave me his 396xt and some of his old 396xt stuff, batteries where included. The batteries are the original ones that came with the scanner 6 years ago. His scanner worked fine, so I swapped out his batteries and throw them into my non-working scanner for ****s and giggles and it came to life, The batteries (all 3 sets of "New" Rechargeable) that were in my non working one went into his working scanner and did not work. If I put the 3 sets of new rechargeable batteries in anything else in the house (tv remote, etc) they work.

I'm not understanding whats going on. I now have 2 396xt's, But only have "Working" batteries to operate one. I have read on some other post about what batteries everyone is using, some order from online companies, some buy regular rechargeable batteries from the corner store... I have done both with no change.. So I'm in need of battery idea's ASAP...

Four years, and probably charging in the scanner. Hmmmm, could be they're no good:confused: Get a Maha charger, and charge the batteries outside the radio. You'll get more years too. You'll keep those newer batteries longer.
Larry

I charge them outside the scanner and I even tried inside the scanner when the issue started to see if it was my charger or a scanner issue. I have bought 3 different brands of rechargeable batteries and none of them have fixed this issue.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I charge them outside the scanner and I even tried inside the scanner when the issue started to see if it was my charger or a scanner issue. I have bought 3 different brands of rechargeable batteries and none of them have fixed this issue.

It really sounds like the batteries are shot, but I have one question. What external charger are you using? A lot of chargers can't charge 3 batteries, they need multiples of 2.

Just a thought.

rbm

I use only 'low self discharge' (LSD) batteries.
They're much more dependable.

I currently have more than 60 AA cells (and around 40 AAA's) and in the last 5 years or so, I only had one that went bad on me.

Before that, the 'non-LSD' batteries used to fail often.
I finally just threw them all out and stick with the LSD cells now.

The links show two examples. I have mostly Eneloop cells but also some Kodak, and some Radio Shack cells.
They've all been equally good.

The package will specify 'PRE-CHARGED'

BTW, I agree it's best to charge them out of the radio.
Here's a good charger that will Automatically identify AND charge Li-ion, Ni-MH and Ni-Cd rechargeable batteries.

Compatible with:
Ni-MH/Ni-Cd: AA, AAA, C
Li-ion: 26650, 22650, 18650, 17670, 18490, 17500, 17335, 16340(RCR123), 14500, 10440

Capable of charging 4 batteries simultaneously
Each of the four battery slots monitors and charges independently

Shop around for the best price.
Amazon.com: Nitecore IntelliCharger i4 Battery Charger - 2nd Generation: Sports & Outdoors

Rich

Amazon.com : eneloop AA 1500 cycle, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 4 Pack : General Use Batteries : Electronics

Rayovac Pre-charged Rechargeable NiMH AA Batteries 8ct, Digital Camera AA Batteries, Rayovac NiMH Batteries, NiMH Camera Batteries, AA Rechargeable Batteries

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.