BC796D - Tone Setup - Help Request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago lightning hit my BC796D. After the repair I was able to restore everything but this set of frequencies.

George County Mississippi Radio Reference
Frequency Input License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
156.21750 159.03750 WQCB590 RM 131 DPL Sheriff Operations FMN

With frequencies set as above, I get NO reception.

By turning "Tones" off I receive hits from all over the gulf coast area including the George County Sheriff Operations if the "step" is set to 6.25 or 12.5.

Re-setting "Tones" to "DLP 131" kills all hits for 156.2175.

Before the Lightning, I could receive the George County Sheriff Operations. I remember doing something to make it work before but I don't remember what.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

hm

Finally found a "work around" for the problem.

When the scanner "SQ Mode" was was set to "tone Sq" could not receive any thing on the frequency if the DLP was set. I changed the SQ Mode to "Tone Search" and it started receiving only the 131 dlp tone.

Hope this may help someone

HM

captclint

Mentor
Finally found a "work around" for the problem.

When the scanner "SQ Mode" was was set to "tone Sq" could not receive any thing on the frequency if the DLP was set. I changed the SQ Mode to "Tone Search" and it started receiving only the 131 dlp tone.
That is the exact opposite of how it is supposed to work. Tone search will receive any transmission on that frequency. It will display all the tones it sees, but does not select or screen any particular tone in that mode. What's really annoying about the 796 is that tone search operates on ALL frequencies, not just the one or two in which you are interested, so this is really not a good work-around. Later Unidens allow this on individual channels. Do you have any other DPL tones selected that it DOES receive? How about any PL tones? Did you try selecting "none" for the 156.21750 tone, with Tones ON. That will allow you to use tones for everything else(assuming your PD/DPL function is working) , but it should not solve your problem by only screening 131 dlp

Last edited:
Thanks for the response!

Quote: "Do you have any other DPL tones selected that it DOES receive? How about any PL tones?
End Quote

Yes to both.

After looking at the overnight log - that did not work either. Around 10 pm the only hits I got were for another close freq/tone.

A county about 60 miles east uses a frequency/tone of
156.21000 159.09000 WPJR807 RM 141.3 PL 1 Sheriff - North Repeater FM

I want to monitor
156.21750 159.03750 WQCB590 RM 131 DPL Sheriff Operations FMN

This is what I have tried

Set "SQ Mode" to "CSQ" I get everything on many channels.

Set "SQ Mode" to "Tone SQ" Other channels with tones seem to be working - I do get hits on all but the desired 156.21750/131 DLP

Set "SQ Mode" to "Tone Search" Friday, Saturday and Sunday I received signals from 156.21750/131 DLP only. This morning (Monday) looking at the log all signals came from 156.21000 141.3 PL.

I have tried all of the settings under: Scan Options > Conventional > Selected Channel > Tone Data.

With Tone data set to:
"OFF" All stations are received.
"DCS" nothing
"CTCSS" nothing

I tried to use the tone lockout but received nothing.

What really burns is that before the lightning strike I received the 156.21750/131 with a lot of traffic. Now to receive it I have to get all the stuff from Baldwin County Al.

Still open to any suggestion

eddie - Humble_Mustang

Highpockets

Who repaired it? I would contact them and say it is not operating properly, and you are not satisfied. You may have to send it back in, and be without it for a while longer, but, they should take care of it.

dwessman

This is going to read like a shtooopid suggestion but...

Could you check to see if you have a lock out enabled for what you want? Had a similar issue and after some flailing about I discovered that I had inadvertently locked out the very system I was trying to monitor. OBTW - I could call up the system and nothing was set to lockout in the settings which made me rule that out immediately. Then I discovered that I had locked out the entire system, doesn't show when you edit it.

captclint

Mentor
Since 156.21750 requires different steps to get, are you sure the 796 is acutally programmed for 156.21750? The software can show something different than the actual radio....a long shot

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Who repaired it?

I sent the unit back to Uniden Customer Support for repair. They replaced the main board. If I can not resolve the problem I will send it back.

> Could you check to see if you have a lock out enabled for what you want?

The Freq and bank is not locked out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Since 156.21750 requires different steps to get, are you sure the 796 is actually programmed for 156.21750?

Verified programing and found radio had freq 156.21250. I tried to change steps but could not get it to program 156.21750.

I think this solved the problem. Here is what I did:

First: I downloaded the latest firmware and did the update. Did not change anything.

Second: Programed the freq to 156.22, set the tones off, Set the step to 5k. Now I am getting the station with traffic I was getting before and nothing from the Alabama freq.

Thanks for the help
eddie

Status
Not open for further replies.